[Calc Review] I ran a test, and now I am confused.

[Calc Review] I ran a test, and now I am confused.

Contractor · Bend, OR · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 12 votes

I ran some very simple numbers as a test to get acquainted with the fix-and-flip calculator. I seem to be messing up on the loan section. I have it at 100% LTV ($200,000) at 12% and amortized for 1 year. The result is a $17,769.76 per month. I must not be understanding the amortization aspect? I assumed that is the life of the loan, meaning it should be $24,000 for the year, $2,000 per month, and a total of $8,000 for the calculated 4 months of holding. What am I missing or not understanding?

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

Happy Halloween everyone!

Johnny Duke

0Reply
23 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 535 posts · 389 votes
    7y

    Your math is incorrect. Amortization does not do a straight-shot (rate x loan balance) to determine interest. Check out this video on amortization.

    Good luck!

  • Contractor · Bend, OR · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @James Galla right that makes since. It essentially recalculates every month as opposered to annually. 

    My big issue is that the calculator states that 19k is paid out every month. 

    That $19,000 is the interest paid over the course of a full year, correct? Which should give me a monthly payment of ~$1,600. Is this a software issue? Or am I’m missing something obvious?

  • Attorney · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 535 posts · 389 votes
    7y

    I'm not too sure where you are getting the $19k figure from (there is no figure identified at $19k on the report you provided in the thread). The one you cited to states you have a mortgage payment of $17.7k. I'd take a look at this calculator, which also supports the $17.7k figure.

  • Contractor · Bend, OR · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @James Galla I apologize. I was responding from my mobile and didn't check the original mortgage amount. $17.7k is correct. 

    I now see the error of my ways though. Seems that most hard money lenders (which is the scenario I was calculating for) lend on interest only payments until the end of the loan. I missed that toggle in the calculator which is why I was ending up with 19k per month instead of $2,000.

    Thanks for the help,

    Johnny

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.