St. Paul, MN Deal analysis help please (kind of long)

St. Paul, MN Deal analysis help please (kind of long)

Real Estate Investor · Ellsworth, WI · Member since 2010 · 34 posts · 11 votes

Forgive me if this is a bit long. It’s my first attempt at analyzing a deal like this. I don’t have this property under contract yet and was hoping to get some insight from people on BP.

1940 Brick-sided bungalow 3bed 1bath with 1,125 finished sq ft. Unfinished walk-up attic and unfinished full basement. 2 car detached garage. Estate sale with no outstanding taxes or assessments that I can find.

Exterior:
Brick in above average condition
Roof needs tear off and reshingle
New gutters/downspouts
Front steps (limestone block) need redo
9 windows need replacement-average size is 28x42
Garage needs new doors

Interior:
Needs new kitchen-everything
Bathroom needs updating
Refinish hardwood floors-in good shape overall
New interior doors
New paint throughout
Update interior hardware, fixtures, etc

Basement:
Damp-due to poor/nonexistent gutters/downspouts
Clean/paint
Install washer/dryer hookups

Mechanicals:
New HVAC needed but duct work looks sound
New water heater needed
Replumb, all galvanized-pretty straightforward plumbing job
Electric was upgraded to 100 amp breaker service approx. 20 years ago. Some updates needed.

Well-kept working class neighborhood. Realtor pulled comps suggest a reasonably conservative ARV of 75,000. Estimating rehab and holding costs with the help of a contractor whom I trust in the 25,000-30,000 range. If I were able to get this under contract at 20,000 do you believe it would be attractive as a wholesale? Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. Thanks!

I'll see if I can link to a few pictures:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/galleries/show/13568

0Reply
25 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · MN · Member since 2008 · 142 posts · 25 votes
    15y

    Hey tim,

    Is this property in w St. Paul by any chance? Listed on MLS? I know a group of lawyers selling off estate properties after an elderly gentleman passed away. Nice to work with. I know st Paul fairly well.

    Phil

  • Real Estate Investor · Ellsworth, WI · Member since 2010 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Hi Phil,
    The house is actually over close to Maplewood. Not on the MLS. I'm about a half hour from St. Paul and am getting to know it better. Some interesting neighborhoods. Any thoughts on if these numbers look good? I've only done mobile home deals previously and lately the prices of sfh's have been getting in the range of mobile homes.
    Tim

  • Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 294 posts · 152 votes
    15y

    This could be a deal for a fix and flip if your numbers are correct. If you intend to wholesale I would not plan to make more than $3K on the deal. I think you could easily find a buyer at at $23k.

    Do you have a buyers network to offer the deal to?

  • Real Estate Investor · Ellsworth, WI · Member since 2010 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    I originally was only looking at it as a wholesale. I have 4 buyers I'm in contact with now (not exactly a network) and I was not going to get too wild with an assignment fee-$2K-$3K was what I had in mind.
    The more I've looked into it, though, the more I am thinking about doing a fix/flip. I only have around $10k to put into it but I might be able pull somebody in to partner on the deal.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Tim

  • Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 294 posts · 152 votes
    15y

    I'd speak to a hard money lender about a loan that includes rehab cost.

    What are the average DOM in the area?

  • Accountant · MN · Member since 2008 · 142 posts · 25 votes
    15y

    Some areas of Maplewood are not the best, white bear avenue comes to mind. Not North Minneapolis but some rough areas. If you found a nice pocket that it may be alright. The work you described; new roof, windows, furnace, water heater, replumbing, kicthen and bath updates will add up very quickly. It sounds like more than 25k of work. Any chance you can get a contractor in for a bid before buying it? If you can actually get it all the work done for this than it looks good as a flip or rental.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.