FIRST BRRR Complete! Details + Pictures!

FIRST BRRR Complete! Details + Pictures!

Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes

Hey Biggerpockets!

My partner and I just completed our first BRRRR and we are so STOKED and THANKFUL for the education we have received from this website. I am writing a summary of this report in the hopes that someone finds value from it and our story inspires them to take the first step towards financial independence.

BACKGROUND:

I began listening to the Biggerpockets podcast 18 months ago. Before BP, I was an active member of the Personal Finance community on Reddit, and was on the journey towards FIRE (Financial Independence // Retire Early). My primary plan for early retirement was shoving money in tax-advantaged mutual funds. As I began to learn more and more about real estate investing, I began to question my strategy. The information I was hearing in the podcast made sense, the numbers were better than the stock market, but I was struck in "analysis paralysis" and couldn't pull the trigger.

Once my wife and I purchased our primary residence in California, we decided to take the leap and dive into real estate investing. The BRRRR method made the most sense mathematically to us, and I consumed as much informational content as I could.

THE JOURNEY:

Step 1: We bought our first home (primary residence). We live in California where homes are expensive and saving up 20% for a downpayment had taken us years. We could have bought more rental properties if we had continued to rent and foregone purchasing our own home (like Grant Cardone and Stephan Graham recommend), however, I can not stress enough how important it is to be on the same page with your significant other. My wife wanted her own home, and we made a promise to each other to get out of our apartment before we began investing in rental properties. Our quality of life improved tenfold going from a 600 sq ft apartment to an 1800 sq ft single family residence. And once we had our own home, we were free to dive into out-of-state rentals.

Step 2: Once we closed on our home, I immediately begin looking for a HELOC to fund our rental purchases. I found a local credit union that would give us a 1.99% introductory rate (18 months), after a 3 month seasoning period. We put the paperwork in motion and as soon as the seasoning period was over we were able to pull out 50k of equity to be used for real estate investing.

Step 3: While we were waiting on the HELOC to fund I took to BP and started looking for where to invest. The information was overwhelming, and it was hard to figure out where to start. After a good deal amount of research, I settled on Huntsville, AL. I started making contacts through the BP forums and talking to people on the phone. I would get up early California time and talk to people in Alabama (+2 hour time difference) just as they were starting their day. I had countless conversations with wholesalers, property managers, contractors, and real estate agents. I then took 3 days off work to fly to Alabama to tour the city. I fell in LOVE with Huntsville. The city was incredible, nothing like what I expected. It reminded me a lot of my hometown in Redlands, CA. Craft beer and coffee everywhere. Downtown revitilizations. Tech jobs and sort of a "hipster" feel to it. And stuff was happening in Huntville. They were building everywhere. Companies were moving to the town. Rents and property values were increasing, but still affordable. This was it.

Step 4: Once the HELOC closed I had 50k burning a hole in my metaphorical-pocket. I had found a partner who knew nothing about real estate, but was just as driven as me to find financial independence. He wanted to quit his day-job and travel the world, and needed monthly cash flow to do it. We found our first deal through a wholesale connection I had made on my trip to Huntsville. The wholesaler had found an off-market deal that they needed to sell QUICKLY. This was the Friday of a 3-day weekend. The property was a 3/2 townhome 1500 sq ft in Madison, AL. The location was good and Madison has some of the best schools in the state. The property was midway through a rehab, the owner had bought the home in foreclosure a few years ago and was slowly fixing it up himself. The wholesaler wanted 68K for the property, and I quickly estimated the home to be worth about 100K fixed up based on comps from similar homes. My partner and I made an offer of 60K for the property based on our rehab estimates, and at the end of the day the wholesaler accepted our offer. We had an inspection Monday and we closed on Tuesday, and just like that, we owned our first rental property.

Step 5: Now began the rehab. The property needed some work, the biggest issue was the backyard. There was an abandoned pool and overgrown landscaping that made the property appear MUCH worse than it actually was. There was no way we were going to have a pool in a rental property (insurance nightmare), so we got a pool remover to break up the pool, fill it in, and cover the backyard with beautiful sod. We then cut the vegetation away and suddenly the backyard was simple and clean. We replaced our side of the shared-townhome roof with 20-year shingles, and we installed a new 6 foot cedar privacy fence. We then turned our attention to the interior. The biggest issues with the interior was the unfinished stairs, partially completed bathrooms, and rotting exterior french doors. We got extremely lucky and found materials for the stairs in one of the closets that the previous owner had purchased. The interior rehab took 4 weeks, and we managed the project completely from out of state. Total cost of rehab: 18k. By the end of the rehab the home was completely restored, stable, and beautiful.

Step 6: Now we needed a renter. There were very little rental comps for a 3/2 townhome in that area, so pricing the rent was tricky. Another disadvantage we were facing is that our rehab completed the week after Thanksigiving, and finding renters in Al is slightly harder during the winter months. We had the nicest townhome on the street, so we marketed the property at $975/month. The highest a home had been rented in that area before was $850 a month, but that was for a 2-bedroom townhome. We didn't get any takers for the home, which was scary, and I was starting to think we had made a big mistake. We decided to drop the rent to $950 the day after Christmas and suddenly we had tons of interest in the property. We had a great qualified renter in the property the first week of January.

Step 7: Now the property was stabilized and rented. It was time to pull our money out. Our 6-month "seasoning" period was to end on March 11th, so at the begining of February I began looking for a bank to perform a cash-out refinance. I was hoping for an 80% LTV, but after calling around 30 banks I was not able to find anything better than 75%. The refinance process was painful (so much paperwork!), but after many hours and email exchanges between the lender, the final hurdle left was the appraisal. I was definetely worried the appraisal was going to come in low, as our property was nicer than any of the (limited) comps, but the appraisal came in at 105K! Here is a quick summary of the numbers:

Purchase Price: 60K

Rehab: 18K

Total Cost: 78K

Appraisal: 105K

Cash out Refinance: 78.5K!

WE DID IT!

These numbers are rounded of course and do not include a few thousand in holding costs and lender fee's, but the monthly rent in the interim period before we refinanced the property paid for those costs. The property is cash flow positive after accounting for maintenance, vacancy, and operating expenses, and we have pulled out our entire starting capital!

I can not thank Biggerpockets enough for the immense information available through their website and podcast. It has literally changed my life. 7 months ago my partner and I had -ZERO- rental properties. Since diving into the BRRRR method we now have -SIX- cash flowing rentals, with a goal of -TEN- by the end of the year.

Here are some pictures of the property before the rehab:

BEFORE PICTURES

AFTER PICTURES

I would love to answer any questions or comments you might have on the BRRRR process. I would not have been able to even GET STARTED in real estate investing if it wasn't for BP, so please if you have a question on the process let me know! My journey wasn't perfect, and there were plenty of things I will do differently moving forward, but for the first BRRRR I am extremely happy with how it went.

THANK YOU BP!

218Reply
1,787 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 32 votes
7y

Congratulations! How much did the refinance cost you and how much did your mortgage payment go up by? I feel like this part of the BRRRR strategy is not often talked about and curious to hear how it impacted your monthly cash flow.

See this reply in the discussion

305 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Atlanta · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I am brand new! Haven't done a single deal. However i have studied and read about the BRRRR method and I know you want to buy it with cash. But would it work at all if you took a loan to buy the house?

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Collin Bo Nixon:

    I am brand new! Haven't done a single deal. However i have studied and read about the BRRRR method and I know you want to buy it with cash. But would it work at all if you took a loan to buy the house?

    Hey Collin! Welcome to BiggerPockets. The BRRRR method words best for purchasing a property in cash for 2 reasons.

    1) Usually the home needs a significant amount of work, so a traditional lending institution will not provide a loan on the property. The property can only be purchased cash.

    2) Closing Costs are expensive. In my market, to close on a hone in cash is about 1K in closing costs. When you refinance the property, that's another 3K in closing costs. 4K Total.

    If you wanted to take a loan on the property when you bought it, and then refinance the property after the rehab, you would have to pay full closing costs twice, which can severely cut into your profit. 

  • Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Melissa Nash hi do you mind sending me the groups information that you work with in Birmingham? I bought  a property over there and need to find someone that can potentially do a rehab and permanent loan 

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 740 posts · 529 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Otis Sanders:

    @Melissa Nash hi do you mind sending me the groups information that you work with in Birmingham? I bought  a property over there and need to find someone that can potentially do a rehab and permanent loan 

     Yes!! Please message me and I’ll send. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @James Gates I just ran into this post and it couldn't have been more perfect timing. Thanks for sharing, from the story all the way to answering everyone's questions. I'm in such a similar position right now from this story that it's inspired me to keep going! I hope to be able to have the same success soon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @James Gates did you pay cash or finance at the beginning? Also, how is your partner contributing to things? Silent, business mgmt, evaluations, capital?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @James Gates assuming that you maxed out your HELOC. Did your credit take a big hit due to utilization? I'm planning on doing the same and my concern is that if I use my HELOC, take a big hit on my credit, I'll have difficulty with the cash-out refi.

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Doug Bielecki:

    @James Gates did you pay cash or finance at the beginning? Also, how is your partner contributing to things? Silent, business mgmt, evaluations, capital?

    We paid cash at the beginning, part of my HELOC and part of my partner's cash.

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ben Chan:

    @James Gates assuming that you maxed out your HELOC. Did your credit take a big hit due to utilization? I'm planning on doing the same and my concern is that if I use my HELOC, take a big hit on my credit, I'll have difficulty with the cash-out refi.

    Credit score did not take a big hit, and anything over 740+ gets the same interest rate from the bank. Since the HELOC only requires a payment of $100 a month, DTI wasn't really affected.

  • Specialist · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Awesome! congrats to all

  • Colton, CA · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    Congrats James on your first deal. Are you looking to do multi unit property with BRRRR? Thanks for sharing details of your deals. You also stated the power of networking and relationships with other investors

  • Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Battaglia:

    Congratulations! How much did the refinance cost you and how much did your mortgage payment go up by? I feel like this part of the BRRRR strategy is not often talked about and curious to hear how it impacted your monthly cash flow.

    I agree. I feel like this should be added to the BRRRR calculator.

  • Member since 2019 · 135 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    Awesome! Thanks for sharing this! 

  • San Francisco, Bay Area · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Awesome cash out! Love you story and pics!

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lloyd F.:

    @James Gates

    Awesome! congrats to all

    Thanks Lloyd!

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Adekunle Ilori:

    Congrats James on your first deal. Are you looking to do multi unit property with BRRRR? Thanks for sharing details of your deals. You also stated the power of networking and relationships with other investors

    The goal right now is to build a portfolio of Single family in an area I see immense potential in, and then 5-7 years (appreciation, principal paydown) down the line 1013 exchange them into a larger multi-family property.

    I can not stress enough the power of networking and partnering. It has allowed exponential growth.

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Arya Jackson:

    Awesome cash out! Love you story and pics!

    Thanks Arya! 

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    James ,your post so inspiring!I m also in CA and looking for buy out of state to use BRRR strategy.

    I have two question about your journey 

    1.how to do you find the partner? is the partner in the local where your purchases are?

    when you mean partner ,is the partnership like you both pay 50%/50% on the initial fund to buy a property and share the profit afterwards?I m still confusing about when people talk about partner, I need a partner too, but now sure the partner really means and how to function.

    2. how do you find the wholesaler ?

    all the properties I can search are on MLS or turnkey companies.

    where do you find wholesaler to buy off markets deal?
    thank you!;)

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Gaby Liu:

    James ,your post so inspiring!I m also in CA and looking for buy out of state to use BRRR strategy.

    I have two question about your journey 

    1.how to do you find the partner? is the partner in the local where your purchases are?

    when you mean partner ,is the partnership like you both pay 50%/50% on the initial fund to buy a property and share the profit afterwards?I m still confusing about when people talk about partner, I need a partner too, but now sure the partner really means and how to function.

    2. how do you find the wholesaler ?

    all the properties I can search are on MLS or turnkey companies.

    where do you find wholesaler to buy off markets deal?
    thank you!;)

    Hey Liu,

    My first partner was a good friend of mine growing up, and we reconnected when discussing and learning about real estate investing. 

    Partnerships can be done a lot of ways, for my main business partner we split everything 50/50 and contribute 50/50, but I have also worked with partners where they put up the $ in exchange for some % of equity, or some % return. It is all in how you manage the deal and what the goals of the partnership are. 

    2) MLS deals are harder to find these days, but by connecting with individuals on BiggerPockets and networking you can find wholesalers and agents that are actively looking for investment properties for out of state clients.

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Gates:
    Originally posted by @Gaby Liu:

    James ,your post so inspiring!I m also in CA and looking for buy out of state to use BRRR strategy.

    I have two question about your journey 

    1.how to do you find the partner? is the partner in the local where your purchases are?

    when you mean partner ,is the partnership like you both pay 50%/50% on the initial fund to buy a property and share the profit afterwards?I m still confusing about when people talk about partner, I need a partner too, but now sure the partner really means and how to function.

    2. how do you find the wholesaler ?

    all the properties I can search are on MLS or turnkey companies.

    where do you find wholesaler to buy off markets deal?
    thank you!;)

    Hey Liu,

    My first partner was a good friend of mine growing up, and we reconnected when discussing and learning about real estate investing. 

    Partnerships can be done a lot of ways, for my main business partner we split everything 50/50 and contribute 50/50, but I have also worked with partners where they put up the $ in exchange for some % of equity, or some % return. It is all in how you manage the deal and what the goals of the partnership are. 

    2) MLS deals are harder to find these days, but by connecting with individuals on BiggerPockets and networking you can find wholesalers and agents that are actively looking for investment properties for out of state clients.


    @James Gates:

    Thanks for your reply,For partnership do you think one partner is good enough or we should have more and more partners to contribute more funds and acquire more properties ? when we looking for partner do we look the other person has to be experienced investor or who can be just as newbie as I am , i was wondering if two people partner up but both newbies How does that work? but for those experienced investors do they even want to partner up with newbies? confusing how to make it work.

    thanks !!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Hello James,

    Great story, very inspiring for a newbie investor like myself. I am just beginning my real estate education and am very interested in the BRRRR method. I am a little confused on the first beginning steps though. To buy the townhome In Alabama did you use your own saved up money or did you find a lender? If you could explain the beginning process of BRRRR I would appreciate it greatly. Also, are there any articles or books that you read when you were getting started ?

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Rosemary Novak:

    @James Gates

    Hello James,

    Great story, very inspiring for a newbie investor like myself. I am just beginning my real estate education and am very interested in the BRRRR method. I am a little confused on the first beginning steps though. To buy the townhome In Alabama did you use your own saved up money or did you find a lender? If you could explain the beginning process of BRRRR I would appreciate it greatly. Also, are there any articles or books that you read when you were getting started ?

     Hey Rosemary,

    To originally purchase the home, I used a combination of my own money (HELOC -- pulled out equity ("cash") from my primary home) and a partnership. The lender comes into play after six months when we do a cash-out refinance to pull our money out of the rental property.


    I would highly recommend checking out David Green's (BiggerPockets Podcast co-host) book on Out of State Rental Property Investing as well as his BRRRR book! They are both fantastic.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @James Gates thanks for the great article. I also live in California and looking to start BRRR soon (hopefully in 2020) through a HELOC. Unfortunately I have no partners (at least not yet). My dad and my sister are very interested in this also but they wont be able to jump on board until 2021 as my dad wants to pay off his mortgage before starting a new adventure (only a year left). what do you think I should do? jump the gun and go in it by myself or wait one more year (save more money) and then partner with my other family members so we can have a much bigger investing fund? (my dad's home is worth over $800k and will be fully paid by mid 2021, my condo is worth $550 with a $260k loan on it)

  • Rental Property Investor · Laguna Niguel, CA · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 116 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Carlo Mantovani:

    @James Gates thanks for the great article. I also live in California and looking to start BRRR soon (hopefully in 2020) through a HELOC. Unfortunately I have no partners (at least not yet). My dad and my sister are very interested in this also but they wont be able to jump on board until 2021 as my dad wants to pay off his mortgage before starting a new adventure (only a year left). what do you think I should do? jump the gun and go in it by myself or wait one more year (save more money) and then partner with my other family members so we can have a much bigger investing fund? (my dad's home is worth over $800k and will be fully paid by mid 2021, my condo is worth $550 with a $260k loan on it)

    @Carlo I'm no expert but it sounds like you have more than enough equity to get started right now if you wanted to. Just make sure your numbers are good on any deal you find and that you have enough cashflow to handle any additional debt you take on, good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    This is an amazing story, I am so thankful that you shared it. I am currently looking at getting into real estate investing, like you I have been absorbing BP, Forums, and books for the past year. I found a partner and we are looking at investing out of state. Just trying to find the best out of state area, currently looking at Austin, TX and San Antonio, TX. Reading this has motivated me to do a BRRR for our first property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.