FIRST BRRR Complete! Details + Pictures!

FIRST BRRR Complete! Details + Pictures!

Real Estate Agent 路 Redlands, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 199 posts 路 487 votes

Hey Biggerpockets!

My partner and I just completed our first BRRRR and we are so STOKED and THANKFUL for the education we have received from this website. I am writing a summary of this report in the hopes that someone finds value from it and our story inspires them to take the first step towards financial independence.

BACKGROUND:

I began listening to the Biggerpockets podcast 18 months ago. Before BP, I was an active member of the Personal Finance community on Reddit, and was on the journey towards FIRE (Financial Independence // Retire Early). My primary plan for early retirement was shoving money in tax-advantaged mutual funds. As I began to learn more and more about real estate investing, I began to question my strategy. The information I was hearing in the podcast made sense, the numbers were better than the stock market, but I was struck in "analysis paralysis" and couldn't pull the trigger.

Once my wife and I purchased our primary residence in California, we decided to take the leap and dive into real estate investing. The BRRRR method made the most sense mathematically to us, and I consumed as much informational content as I could.

THE JOURNEY:

Step 1: We bought our first home (primary residence). We live in California where homes are expensive and saving up 20% for a downpayment had taken us years. We could have bought more rental properties if we had continued to rent and foregone purchasing our own home (like Grant Cardone and Stephan Graham recommend), however, I can not stress enough how important it is to be on the same page with your significant other. My wife wanted her own home, and we made a promise to each other to get out of our apartment before we began investing in rental properties. Our quality of life improved tenfold going from a 600 sq ft apartment to an 1800 sq ft single family residence. And once we had our own home, we were free to dive into out-of-state rentals.

Step 2: Once we closed on our home, I immediately begin looking for a HELOC to fund our rental purchases. I found a local credit union that would give us a 1.99% introductory rate (18 months), after a 3 month seasoning period. We put the paperwork in motion and as soon as the seasoning period was over we were able to pull out 50k of equity to be used for real estate investing.

Step 3: While we were waiting on the HELOC to fund I took to BP and started looking for where to invest. The information was overwhelming, and it was hard to figure out where to start. After a good deal amount of research, I settled on Huntsville, AL. I started making contacts through the BP forums and talking to people on the phone. I would get up early California time and talk to people in Alabama (+2 hour time difference) just as they were starting their day. I had countless conversations with wholesalers, property managers, contractors, and real estate agents. I then took 3 days off work to fly to Alabama to tour the city. I fell in LOVE with Huntsville. The city was incredible, nothing like what I expected. It reminded me a lot of my hometown in Redlands, CA. Craft beer and coffee everywhere. Downtown revitilizations. Tech jobs and sort of a "hipster" feel to it. And stuff was happening in Huntville. They were building everywhere. Companies were moving to the town. Rents and property values were increasing, but still affordable. This was it.

Step 4: Once the HELOC closed I had 50k burning a hole in my metaphorical-pocket. I had found a partner who knew nothing about real estate, but was just as driven as me to find financial independence. He wanted to quit his day-job and travel the world, and needed monthly cash flow to do it. We found our first deal through a wholesale connection I had made on my trip to Huntsville. The wholesaler had found an off-market deal that they needed to sell QUICKLY. This was the Friday of a 3-day weekend. The property was a 3/2 townhome 1500 sq ft in Madison, AL. The location was good and Madison has some of the best schools in the state. The property was midway through a rehab, the owner had bought the home in foreclosure a few years ago and was slowly fixing it up himself. The wholesaler wanted 68K for the property, and I quickly estimated the home to be worth about 100K fixed up based on comps from similar homes. My partner and I made an offer of 60K for the property based on our rehab estimates, and at the end of the day the wholesaler accepted our offer. We had an inspection Monday and we closed on Tuesday, and just like that, we owned our first rental property.

Step 5: Now began the rehab. The property needed some work, the biggest issue was the backyard. There was an abandoned pool and overgrown landscaping that made the property appear MUCH worse than it actually was. There was no way we were going to have a pool in a rental property (insurance nightmare), so we got a pool remover to break up the pool, fill it in, and cover the backyard with beautiful sod. We then cut the vegetation away and suddenly the backyard was simple and clean. We replaced our side of the shared-townhome roof with 20-year shingles, and we installed a new 6 foot cedar privacy fence. We then turned our attention to the interior. The biggest issues with the interior was the unfinished stairs, partially completed bathrooms, and rotting exterior french doors. We got extremely lucky and found materials for the stairs in one of the closets that the previous owner had purchased. The interior rehab took 4 weeks, and we managed the project completely from out of state. Total cost of rehab: 18k. By the end of the rehab the home was completely restored, stable, and beautiful.

Step 6: Now we needed a renter. There were very little rental comps for a 3/2 townhome in that area, so pricing the rent was tricky. Another disadvantage we were facing is that our rehab completed the week after Thanksigiving, and finding renters in Al is slightly harder during the winter months. We had the nicest townhome on the street, so we marketed the property at $975/month. The highest a home had been rented in that area before was $850 a month, but that was for a 2-bedroom townhome. We didn't get any takers for the home, which was scary, and I was starting to think we had made a big mistake. We decided to drop the rent to $950 the day after Christmas and suddenly we had tons of interest in the property. We had a great qualified renter in the property the first week of January.

Step 7: Now the property was stabilized and rented. It was time to pull our money out. Our 6-month "seasoning" period was to end on March 11th, so at the begining of February I began looking for a bank to perform a cash-out refinance. I was hoping for an 80% LTV, but after calling around 30 banks I was not able to find anything better than 75%. The refinance process was painful (so much paperwork!), but after many hours and email exchanges between the lender, the final hurdle left was the appraisal. I was definetely worried the appraisal was going to come in low, as our property was nicer than any of the (limited) comps, but the appraisal came in at 105K! Here is a quick summary of the numbers:

Purchase Price: 60K

Rehab: 18K

Total Cost: 78K

Appraisal: 105K

Cash out Refinance: 78.5K!

WE DID IT!

These numbers are rounded of course and do not include a few thousand in holding costs and lender fee's, but the monthly rent in the interim period before we refinanced the property paid for those costs. The property is cash flow positive after accounting for maintenance, vacancy, and operating expenses, and we have pulled out our entire starting capital!

I can not thank Biggerpockets enough for the immense information available through their website and podcast. It has literally changed my life. 7 months ago my partner and I had -ZERO- rental properties. Since diving into the BRRRR method we now have -SIX- cash flowing rentals, with a goal of -TEN- by the end of the year.

Here are some pictures of the property before the rehab:

BEFORE PICTURES

AFTER PICTURES

I would love to answer any questions or comments you might have on the BRRRR process. I would not have been able to even GET STARTED in real estate investing if it wasn't for BP, so please if you have a question on the process let me know! My journey wasn't perfect, and there were plenty of things I will do differently moving forward, but for the first BRRRR I am extremely happy with how it went.

THANK YOU BP!

218Reply
1,818 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 路 38 posts 路 32 votes
7y

Congratulations! How much did the refinance cost you and how much did your mortgage payment go up by? I feel like this part of the BRRRR strategy is not often talked about and curious to hear how it impacted your monthly cash flow.

See this reply in the discussion

305 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Buffalo, NY 路 Member since 2017 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    7y

    @James Gates Congrats.  You usually don't hit the numbers dead on the first time.  Way to go!

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Member since 2019 路 7 posts 路 3 votes
    7y

    @James Gates First off congratulations; second off after reading through the entire discussion, thank you for all your patience and assistance for us new-b's. I don't know if I would be able to answer the same question 10x over in one forum...a far better man then me.

    I noticed you mentioned that you had used a BP calculator to evaluate your first deal....is this what you have used to analayze all your following deals, if not do you have another process in place to make sure you are investing in a good deal? I only ask because i notied you weren't a pro-member and was wondering if you had your own system? Also I was wondering if you wouldn't mind breaking down your deals for us? What the rent is, mortgage/insurance/utilities(if any) CAPex(i know you said 5%)? Sorry for the long post, just trying to learn how others are evaluating deals and what the numbers actually ended up looking like.......I appreciate your advice! Keep up the good work!

  • San Diego, CA 路 Member since 2018 路 210 posts 路 67 votes
    7y

    Hello James,

    Congratulations on your success. 

    Sincerely,

  • Miami, FL 路 Member since 2019 路 4 posts 路 0 votes
    7y

    @James Gates wow ! Thank you for sharing! It鈥檚 crazy I have been reading and listening to so many information here in BP I don鈥檛 know anything about real estate! But my goal is to have at least 5 rentals by the end of the year .

    So your suggestions is to began with a rental property instead of buying our own home first? I鈥檓 just asking because I am looking to buy my first home.

    Thank youu and great success to you!!

  • Baltimore, MD 路 Member since 2019 路 80 posts 路 47 votes
    7y

    @ , that is a great accomplishment.  I can't wait to make similar strides.  Be sure to share future deals.

    LuAnn

  • Member since 2019 路 10 posts 路 0 votes
    7y

    James Gates, great job. I too am from Orange county and starting to invest in Tulsa Ok with a partner but the disadvantage I see when I put together numbers is the cash flow per house is very small, especially when having a partner. From your numbers I'm guesstimating your cash flow for this townhouse to be about $200 and then split that in two with a partner. Maybe I'm being too pessimist but it'll take a lot of houses to be able to be financially independent. What's your ultimate goal?

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Redlands, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 199 posts 路 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Rick DiChristofaro:

    Hey @James Gates, just wanted to let you know how great it was for you to post this and answer so many questions.  I read all your posts in this thread and you covered everything in great detail.  Look forward to hearing about future deals and wish you much success. 

     Hey Rick!

    I appreciate the kind words, I am happy to give back, if no one had talked to me when I was "green" and knew nothing it would have been a much harder road.

    -James

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Redlands, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 199 posts 路 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Evan Rosenboom:

    @James Gates First off congratulations; second off after reading through the entire discussion, thank you for all your patience and assistance for us new-b's. I don't know if I would be able to answer the same question 10x over in one forum...a far better man then me.

    I noticed you mentioned that you had used a BP calculator to evaluate your first deal....is this what you have used to analayze all your following deals, if not do you have another process in place to make sure you are investing in a good deal? I only ask because i notied you weren't a pro-member and was wondering if you had your own system? Also I was wondering if you wouldn't mind breaking down your deals for us? What the rent is, mortgage/insurance/utilities(if any) CAPex(i know you said 5%)? Sorry for the long post, just trying to learn how others are evaluating deals and what the numbers actually ended up looking like.......I appreciate your advice! Keep up the good work!

    Hey Evan, 

    I did use the BP calculator to evaluate the first deal. I find the "BRRRR" calculator in particular helpful, there are a lot of real estate calculators are out there that will calculate cash flow, ROI, IRR, but they can not comprehend the power of the BRRRR strategy and an "infinite" (divide by zero) return. the BRRRR calculator visualizes this beautifully.

    Until recently I was a PRO member, but being the frugal (cheap) person I am I had to give it up...hah. After a few deals I am much more comfortable running the numbers myself with a couple of different scenarios.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Redlands, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 199 posts 路 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Natali Guzman:

    @James Gates wow ! Thank you for sharing! It鈥檚 crazy I have been reading and listening to so many information here in BP I don鈥檛 know anything about real estate! But my goal is to have at least 5 rentals by the end of the year .

    So your suggestions is to began with a rental property instead of buying our own home first? I鈥檓 just asking because I am looking to buy my first home.

    Thank youu and great success to you!!

     Hey Natali,

    My wife and I purchased our own home first before pursuing rental properties. 

    Good luck on your goal!

    -James

  • Henry R.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Saratoga County, NY 路 Member since 2013 路 178 posts 路 73 votes
    7y

    @James Gates, Congrats on your first BRRRR! You are rolling right along Great start!

    We are applying for a line of credit from a credit union we did a cash out refi, however we were already told we could not buy property with it, only repairs. The credit union you used allowed you to use the HELOC to purchase a house is this different from a line of credit? I've heard of people using both methods.

    Thanks

  • Boston, MA 路 Member since 2019 路 75 posts 路 9 votes
    7y

    Wow, that's awesome! Did you ever use hard money for the other 5?

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Redlands, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 199 posts 路 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Henry R.:

    @James Gates, Congrats on your first BRRRR! You are rolling right along Great start!

    We are applying for a line of credit from a credit union we did a cash out refi, however we were already told we could not buy property with it, only repairs. The credit union you used allowed you to use the HELOC to purchase a house is this different from a line of credit? I've heard of people using both methods.

    Thanks

    There is no stipulations with our HELOC, it is our equity after all. We closed on our first property with HELOC funds.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Redlands, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 199 posts 路 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nicolas Beaujean:

    Wow, that's awesome! Did you ever use hard money for the other 5?

     Hey Nicolas,

    We used a combination of partnering and raising private money for the other 5 units.

    -James

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Denver, CO 路 Member since 2018 路 74 posts 路 25 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    This is amazing, congratulations!! I'll be shooting you a message.. We have a lot in common.

  • Multifamily Syndicator 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    7y

    @James Gates The power of Real Estate Investing! 馃馃馃馃馃 

    I LOVE IT

    Fantastic story, James! Congrats to you and your wife to make this great discovery...

    To your success and many others who would take a chance on themselves! 馃

  • Gina SternPro Member
    Investor 路 Boca Raton, FL 路 Member since 2019 路 1k+ posts 路 160 votes
    7y

    @James Gates Very inspirational stuff, keep up the good work!!!

  • Real Estate Investor 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 136 posts 路 50 votes
    7y

    Amazing! Thank you for sharing you story, its very inspiring. Wishing you many more such deals in the future.

  • Miami Beach, FL 路 Member since 2019 路 124 posts 路 48 votes
    7y

    Awesome job @James Gates! Getting inspired from you!

  • Investor 路 Tel Aviv, Israel 路 Member since 2018 路 55 posts 路 24 votes
    7y

    Wow James!

    Your post is amazing and so inspiring.

    I am always admire people who decide to take their destiny in their hands and start their journey to their financial independence.

    I am currently on that journey myself.

    I am investing in all aspects (done flip project, own few Duplex in Indy, investing in notes).

    BRRR is something that interest me and I will be happy to connect with anyone who can help me start my first steps in doing that.

    Eran


  • Member since 2019 路 23 posts 路 3 votes
    7y

    Congrats on your success! This may sound stupid but I'm new. How much profit do you get per month from this property if you don't mind sharing? How much from the other properties? I'm wondering how many you would need for example to have $5,000 a month. 

  • Huntsville, AL 路 Member since 2019 路 7 posts 路 2 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Thanks so much for sharing. I am in the Seattle area and just started learning about BRRRR, but the stories around Seattle is just discouraging, and yours is the complete opposite and really helps to motivate me! thanks!

    I am in the process of getting HELOC myself. One thing I have not seen people talk about is how you pay the interest back after you start taking out funds from your HELOC before your refinance ? Do you take out more than you need to cover the monthly interest payment? Or do you have other fund to cover it?

    Thanks again!

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Redlands, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 199 posts 路 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mirzet Mehovic:

    Congrats on your success! This may sound stupid but I'm new. How much profit do you get per month from this property if you don't mind sharing? How much from the other properties? I'm wondering how many you would need for example to have $5,000 a month. 

     Hey Mirzet! 

    Our goal is $150 a door cash flow year 1. This is after accounting for mortgage, taxes, insurance, property management, vacancy, and maintenance/capex. With the markets we are investing we feel confident that this cash flow will increase yearly with rising rents and population, as well as the property appreciating with the desirability of the town. If your goal was $5000 a month you would need 33 units. I know that seems like a lot, but we already have 6 and we just started last year. It is very possible to get 30 units inside of 5 years. Also, you may find that you do not need as much cash flow as you think, and remember your cash flow number is not accounting for equity build up, inflation, or appreciation. So every 5-7 years or so when you exchange the properties via a 1031 tax-deferred exchange you are going to sharply increase your net worth and your cash flow position.

    -James

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Redlands, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 199 posts 路 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eric Kuo:

    @James Gates

    Thanks so much for sharing. I am in the Seattle area and just started learning about BRRRR, but the stories around Seattle is just discouraging, and yours is the complete opposite and really helps to motivate me! thanks!

    I am in the process of getting HELOC myself. One thing I have not seen people talk about is how you pay the interest back after you start taking out funds from your HELOC before your refinance ? Do you take out more than you need to cover the monthly interest payment? Or do you have other fund to cover it?

    Thanks again!

     Hey Eric,

    So my HELOC payments are interest-only with a minimum payment of $100 a month. during the initial 6 months before you refinance you will have a tenant in the property within 2-3 months that will be paying full market rent, but you will not have a mortgage on the property. Your cash flow per month during this phase will be more than enough to cover your interest-only payments as well as build a reserve for the property. I generally do not plan on taking any "profit distributions" for a rental property until the property has stabilized after the refinance. When you refinance you can pay off the HELOC in full, and then Rinse + Repeat.

    -James

  • Investor 路 Omaha, NE 路 Member since 2018 路 1 post 路 0 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Congrats on your first BRRRR!! I hope your other deals have been working out for you too.

    I'm curious about your partnership. Did you both split the down payment? Whose name is on the Title? Whose name is on the loan?

    I'm considering doing something very similar and I'm not sure how to structure that part. Would appreciate any feedback!

    Congrats again! Happy investing!

  • Investor 路 Miami, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 18 posts 路 4 votes
    7y

    Awesome job and blessings from Florida. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.