FIRST BRRR Complete! Details + Pictures!

FIRST BRRR Complete! Details + Pictures!

Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes

Hey Biggerpockets!

My partner and I just completed our first BRRRR and we are so STOKED and THANKFUL for the education we have received from this website. I am writing a summary of this report in the hopes that someone finds value from it and our story inspires them to take the first step towards financial independence.

BACKGROUND:

I began listening to the Biggerpockets podcast 18 months ago. Before BP, I was an active member of the Personal Finance community on Reddit, and was on the journey towards FIRE (Financial Independence // Retire Early). My primary plan for early retirement was shoving money in tax-advantaged mutual funds. As I began to learn more and more about real estate investing, I began to question my strategy. The information I was hearing in the podcast made sense, the numbers were better than the stock market, but I was struck in "analysis paralysis" and couldn't pull the trigger.

Once my wife and I purchased our primary residence in California, we decided to take the leap and dive into real estate investing. The BRRRR method made the most sense mathematically to us, and I consumed as much informational content as I could.

THE JOURNEY:

Step 1: We bought our first home (primary residence). We live in California where homes are expensive and saving up 20% for a downpayment had taken us years. We could have bought more rental properties if we had continued to rent and foregone purchasing our own home (like Grant Cardone and Stephan Graham recommend), however, I can not stress enough how important it is to be on the same page with your significant other. My wife wanted her own home, and we made a promise to each other to get out of our apartment before we began investing in rental properties. Our quality of life improved tenfold going from a 600 sq ft apartment to an 1800 sq ft single family residence. And once we had our own home, we were free to dive into out-of-state rentals.

Step 2: Once we closed on our home, I immediately begin looking for a HELOC to fund our rental purchases. I found a local credit union that would give us a 1.99% introductory rate (18 months), after a 3 month seasoning period. We put the paperwork in motion and as soon as the seasoning period was over we were able to pull out 50k of equity to be used for real estate investing.

Step 3: While we were waiting on the HELOC to fund I took to BP and started looking for where to invest. The information was overwhelming, and it was hard to figure out where to start. After a good deal amount of research, I settled on Huntsville, AL. I started making contacts through the BP forums and talking to people on the phone. I would get up early California time and talk to people in Alabama (+2 hour time difference) just as they were starting their day. I had countless conversations with wholesalers, property managers, contractors, and real estate agents. I then took 3 days off work to fly to Alabama to tour the city. I fell in LOVE with Huntsville. The city was incredible, nothing like what I expected. It reminded me a lot of my hometown in Redlands, CA. Craft beer and coffee everywhere. Downtown revitilizations. Tech jobs and sort of a "hipster" feel to it. And stuff was happening in Huntville. They were building everywhere. Companies were moving to the town. Rents and property values were increasing, but still affordable. This was it.

Step 4: Once the HELOC closed I had 50k burning a hole in my metaphorical-pocket. I had found a partner who knew nothing about real estate, but was just as driven as me to find financial independence. He wanted to quit his day-job and travel the world, and needed monthly cash flow to do it. We found our first deal through a wholesale connection I had made on my trip to Huntsville. The wholesaler had found an off-market deal that they needed to sell QUICKLY. This was the Friday of a 3-day weekend. The property was a 3/2 townhome 1500 sq ft in Madison, AL. The location was good and Madison has some of the best schools in the state. The property was midway through a rehab, the owner had bought the home in foreclosure a few years ago and was slowly fixing it up himself. The wholesaler wanted 68K for the property, and I quickly estimated the home to be worth about 100K fixed up based on comps from similar homes. My partner and I made an offer of 60K for the property based on our rehab estimates, and at the end of the day the wholesaler accepted our offer. We had an inspection Monday and we closed on Tuesday, and just like that, we owned our first rental property.

Step 5: Now began the rehab. The property needed some work, the biggest issue was the backyard. There was an abandoned pool and overgrown landscaping that made the property appear MUCH worse than it actually was. There was no way we were going to have a pool in a rental property (insurance nightmare), so we got a pool remover to break up the pool, fill it in, and cover the backyard with beautiful sod. We then cut the vegetation away and suddenly the backyard was simple and clean. We replaced our side of the shared-townhome roof with 20-year shingles, and we installed a new 6 foot cedar privacy fence. We then turned our attention to the interior. The biggest issues with the interior was the unfinished stairs, partially completed bathrooms, and rotting exterior french doors. We got extremely lucky and found materials for the stairs in one of the closets that the previous owner had purchased. The interior rehab took 4 weeks, and we managed the project completely from out of state. Total cost of rehab: 18k. By the end of the rehab the home was completely restored, stable, and beautiful.

Step 6: Now we needed a renter. There were very little rental comps for a 3/2 townhome in that area, so pricing the rent was tricky. Another disadvantage we were facing is that our rehab completed the week after Thanksigiving, and finding renters in Al is slightly harder during the winter months. We had the nicest townhome on the street, so we marketed the property at $975/month. The highest a home had been rented in that area before was $850 a month, but that was for a 2-bedroom townhome. We didn't get any takers for the home, which was scary, and I was starting to think we had made a big mistake. We decided to drop the rent to $950 the day after Christmas and suddenly we had tons of interest in the property. We had a great qualified renter in the property the first week of January.

Step 7: Now the property was stabilized and rented. It was time to pull our money out. Our 6-month "seasoning" period was to end on March 11th, so at the begining of February I began looking for a bank to perform a cash-out refinance. I was hoping for an 80% LTV, but after calling around 30 banks I was not able to find anything better than 75%. The refinance process was painful (so much paperwork!), but after many hours and email exchanges between the lender, the final hurdle left was the appraisal. I was definetely worried the appraisal was going to come in low, as our property was nicer than any of the (limited) comps, but the appraisal came in at 105K! Here is a quick summary of the numbers:

Purchase Price: 60K

Rehab: 18K

Total Cost: 78K

Appraisal: 105K

Cash out Refinance: 78.5K!

WE DID IT!

These numbers are rounded of course and do not include a few thousand in holding costs and lender fee's, but the monthly rent in the interim period before we refinanced the property paid for those costs. The property is cash flow positive after accounting for maintenance, vacancy, and operating expenses, and we have pulled out our entire starting capital!

I can not thank Biggerpockets enough for the immense information available through their website and podcast. It has literally changed my life. 7 months ago my partner and I had -ZERO- rental properties. Since diving into the BRRRR method we now have -SIX- cash flowing rentals, with a goal of -TEN- by the end of the year.

Here are some pictures of the property before the rehab:

BEFORE PICTURES

AFTER PICTURES

I would love to answer any questions or comments you might have on the BRRRR process. I would not have been able to even GET STARTED in real estate investing if it wasn't for BP, so please if you have a question on the process let me know! My journey wasn't perfect, and there were plenty of things I will do differently moving forward, but for the first BRRRR I am extremely happy with how it went.

THANK YOU BP!

218Reply
1,827 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 32 votes
7y

Congratulations! How much did the refinance cost you and how much did your mortgage payment go up by? I feel like this part of the BRRRR strategy is not often talked about and curious to hear how it impacted your monthly cash flow.

See this reply in the discussion

305 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @James Gates great example. I am new to BP and still learning. Stories like this show me it’s possible.

    Question; How long before your spouse was supporting of your desire to invest in RE?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @james Thanks for sharing your story. I love it! I'm looking to try the BRRRR method myself very soon. You having to call 30 banks to refinance makes me nervous, but sets my expectations. Wishing you continued success.

    Della

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Johan Yang:

    @James Gates Congrat on your success!! and thank you for sharing. Do you happen to know if the lender you are using is also serving outside AL? My business partner and I have two rental properties in FL that we paid all cash (free and clear). Now, I wanted to do cash out refinance on both of them. I will private message you.

    Question about your partnership where both name on the title ("some we are both on Title (if we both put up 50% of purchase + rehab costs)"). Did your partner contribute something else beside 50% capital which you also put up the same amount? It looks like you were the one who did all the work from finding the deals to managing the rehab, etc... And, do you self-managed all your properties?

    Thanks.

     PM me if you are looking for a lender! This lender is based out of Cincinnati, and they lend in most states. 

    For the first property I put in half the cash and did most of the work managing the rehab, but I needed a partner to come up with the rest of the cash. I didn't have any rental experience so a 50/50 equity split made sense at the time. 

    We do not self manage any of the properties. We have a boots on the ground professional property management team (and would highly recommend it!)

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Pe:

    @James Gates

    Hey James, I just downloaded the BP app today so very new to it. What does BRRRR stand for?

    I love in San Diego and plan on doing something similar in Utah or North Carolina.

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

    BRRRR Stands for

    Buy

    Rehab

    Rent

    Refinance

    Repeat

    It is an amazing powerful real estate strategy because it allows you to cycle through your investment capital over and over while building long term wealth.

    Here is a primer to the BRRRR Investment Strategy.

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mario Leon:

    @James Gates great example. I am new to BP and still learning. Stories like this show me it’s possible.

    Question; How long before your spouse was supporting of your desire to invest in RE?

     Hey Mario,

    Great question. It took some time, but we both became more and more interested in Real Estate as we saved for, looked for, and purchased our primary residence. She was 100% on board with real estate investing as soon as we got our own home. That was very important to her (and me as well), and we were on the same page that we would save for a 20% downpayment on our own residence before we would invest. Luckily I found out about the HELOC strategy on one of the podcasts, and we were able to do the best of both worlds!

  • Rental Property Investor · Farmington, UT · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @James Gates way do go! LOVE this story!

  • Rental Property Investor · Danbury, CT · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @James Gates congrats and thank you for sharing your success story! It sounds like you put in a lot of hard work and now you get to reap the rewards!!! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Western Washington · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    Congratulations @James Gates! Thank you for your in depth story. I always love hearing about people's hard work and determination. I too got my first investment property from a HELOC and I think that's a great way to get started. Awesome story and congrats again. Best of luck to you in achieving your financial freedom!

  • Real Estate Agent · DFW, TX · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing. Best of luck on the next one and keep sharing, it's motivation for all. 

  • Specialist · Helena, MT · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Congrats James!

    I’m jumping in this month, hope I can the success your having , good luck !

    Bob De Lumeau

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @James Gates Thank you so much for sharing, comments like this really help for those of us just getting started. Are there books or points of information that you utilized, specifically, to help you better understand the BRRRR process?

  • Rental Property Investor · Valdosta, GA · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @James Gates Great Info!! Definitely looking to doing one here in the next year. Awesome Stuff

  • Real Estate Agent · Inglewood, CA · Member since 2015 · 295 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    @James Gates this is awesome. I have been exploring BRRR's in Montgomery and Birmingham , do you think there are opportunities for multifamily (4+ units) BRRR's in the Huntsville market? Do you plan on traveling anytime soon? I'm just south of you in LA and pass through Redlands often on my Big Bear runs.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    This is awesome! Give us any updates on your journey. I am preparing myself and financials to start the BRRRR method.

  • Real Estate Coach · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 341 votes
    7y

    @James Gates that’s fantastic and inspiring, congrats! I have family living in Huntsville and you’re right about the growth (and also about the schools in Madison), so I may have to consider it a little bit more.

    @Bradford Hancock here’s a little morning motivation for us

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Derrek Pantelli:

    @James Gates Thank you so much for sharing, comments like this really help for those of us just getting started. Are there books or points of information that you utilized, specifically, to help you better understand the BRRRR process?

    David Green's Book on Out of State Real Estate Investing would be the first book I'd recommend if you are interested in BRRRR. I also heard a rumor he is coming out with another book this year...

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Clarence Johnson:

    @James Gates this is awesome. I have been exploring BRRR's in Montgomery and Birmingham , do you think there are opportunities for multifamily (4+ units) BRRR's in the Huntsville market? Do you plan on traveling anytime soon? I'm just south of you in LA and pass through Redlands often on my Big Bear runs.

     Hey Clarence!

    The multifamily inventory in  Huntsville, from what I have seen, is very scarce. I have a friend who focuses on multi-family and he does a lot more business down in Birmingham. 

    For traveling, I will be heading to Huntsville in two weeks to perform some due diligence on an off-market deal. Next time you are passing through Redlands on the way to the mountains let's grab coffee and talk Real Estate!

  • Greensboro, NC · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Hi James,

    I have a quick question after reading your first BRRR property acquisition. What do you mean by the "seasoning period"? Also, when it was time to refinance, what does the lender requires from the borrower?

    Your story inspires me to do the same as I am in the process of moving to Hawaii!

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Very inspiring story! I'm grateful that you did share it with us!

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Khai Nguyen:

    Hi James,

    I have a quick question after reading your first BRRR property acquisition. What do you mean by the "seasoning period"? Also, when it was time to refinance, what does the lender requires from the borrower?

    Your story inspires me to do the same as I am in the process of moving to Hawaii!

     Hey Kahi,

    If you are going to get a conventional loan during the refinance (which generally have the best rates and terms) most lenders will require a 6-12 month "seasoning" of the property. What that means is you need to wait a least 6 months before you can do at a cash-out refinance at more than the purchase price. If I would have tried to get a refinance during month 3 for example, the lender would have been forced to use the purchase price (60K) as the value of the house instead of the appraised amount (105K). 

    When it comes to what does the lender require from the borrower, one word, paperwork. The bank will want to know everything about your financial situation, all your insurance documents, lease agreements, etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Williamstown, KY · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Gates:
    Originally posted by @Johan Yang:

    @James Gates Congrat on your success!! and thank you for sharing. Do you happen to know if the lender you are using is also serving outside AL? My business partner and I have two rental properties in FL that we paid all cash (free and clear). Now, I wanted to do cash out refinance on both of them. I will private message you.

    Question about your partnership where both name on the title ("some we are both on Title (if we both put up 50% of purchase + rehab costs)"). Did your partner contribute something else beside 50% capital which you also put up the same amount? It looks like you were the one who did all the work from finding the deals to managing the rehab, etc... And, do you self-managed all your properties?

    Thanks.

     PM me if you are looking for a lender! This lender is based out of Cincinnati, and they lend in most states. 

    For the first property I put in half the cash and did most of the work managing the rehab, but I needed a partner to come up with the rest of the cash. I didn't have any rental experience so a 50/50 equity split made sense at the time. 

    We do not self manage any of the properties. We have a boots on the ground professional property management team (and would highly recommend it!)

    Hi @James Gates,

    Congrats on the success! I noticed that you mentioned your lender was based out of Cincinnati and it sounds like you had a good experience. I live in that area and was curious what company it was?

    Thanks for taking the time to share your experience so we can all learn!

  • New to Real Estate · Coldwater, OH · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 61 votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Burleson, TX · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @James Gates wow!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story. Very encouraging and helpful to those like me looking to invest in out of state rentals.

  • Property Manager · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @James Gates so awesome! Can't wait to get my first home under my belt!

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @James Gates I’m halfway through reading David Greene’s book and have had Huntsville on my mind while reading it.

    It sounds like you really leveraged the power of relationships in this deal. How did you go about finding your wholesalers? Did you go to a meetup while on your trip or did you research contacts ahead of time and pre-set meetings with them?

    I’m also curious how you estimated the rehab costs (before tacking on your contingencies). Did you have a guide you used or did the inspector help you form your opinion?

    This inspired a lot of confidence and helped prove the proof in the pudding. Great job, looking forward to hearing about more of your future success stories!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.