FIRST BRRR Complete! Details + Pictures!

FIRST BRRR Complete! Details + Pictures!

Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes

Hey Biggerpockets!

My partner and I just completed our first BRRRR and we are so STOKED and THANKFUL for the education we have received from this website. I am writing a summary of this report in the hopes that someone finds value from it and our story inspires them to take the first step towards financial independence.

BACKGROUND:

I began listening to the Biggerpockets podcast 18 months ago. Before BP, I was an active member of the Personal Finance community on Reddit, and was on the journey towards FIRE (Financial Independence // Retire Early). My primary plan for early retirement was shoving money in tax-advantaged mutual funds. As I began to learn more and more about real estate investing, I began to question my strategy. The information I was hearing in the podcast made sense, the numbers were better than the stock market, but I was struck in "analysis paralysis" and couldn't pull the trigger.

Once my wife and I purchased our primary residence in California, we decided to take the leap and dive into real estate investing. The BRRRR method made the most sense mathematically to us, and I consumed as much informational content as I could.

THE JOURNEY:

Step 1: We bought our first home (primary residence). We live in California where homes are expensive and saving up 20% for a downpayment had taken us years. We could have bought more rental properties if we had continued to rent and foregone purchasing our own home (like Grant Cardone and Stephan Graham recommend), however, I can not stress enough how important it is to be on the same page with your significant other. My wife wanted her own home, and we made a promise to each other to get out of our apartment before we began investing in rental properties. Our quality of life improved tenfold going from a 600 sq ft apartment to an 1800 sq ft single family residence. And once we had our own home, we were free to dive into out-of-state rentals.

Step 2: Once we closed on our home, I immediately begin looking for a HELOC to fund our rental purchases. I found a local credit union that would give us a 1.99% introductory rate (18 months), after a 3 month seasoning period. We put the paperwork in motion and as soon as the seasoning period was over we were able to pull out 50k of equity to be used for real estate investing.

Step 3: While we were waiting on the HELOC to fund I took to BP and started looking for where to invest. The information was overwhelming, and it was hard to figure out where to start. After a good deal amount of research, I settled on Huntsville, AL. I started making contacts through the BP forums and talking to people on the phone. I would get up early California time and talk to people in Alabama (+2 hour time difference) just as they were starting their day. I had countless conversations with wholesalers, property managers, contractors, and real estate agents. I then took 3 days off work to fly to Alabama to tour the city. I fell in LOVE with Huntsville. The city was incredible, nothing like what I expected. It reminded me a lot of my hometown in Redlands, CA. Craft beer and coffee everywhere. Downtown revitilizations. Tech jobs and sort of a "hipster" feel to it. And stuff was happening in Huntville. They were building everywhere. Companies were moving to the town. Rents and property values were increasing, but still affordable. This was it.

Step 4: Once the HELOC closed I had 50k burning a hole in my metaphorical-pocket. I had found a partner who knew nothing about real estate, but was just as driven as me to find financial independence. He wanted to quit his day-job and travel the world, and needed monthly cash flow to do it. We found our first deal through a wholesale connection I had made on my trip to Huntsville. The wholesaler had found an off-market deal that they needed to sell QUICKLY. This was the Friday of a 3-day weekend. The property was a 3/2 townhome 1500 sq ft in Madison, AL. The location was good and Madison has some of the best schools in the state. The property was midway through a rehab, the owner had bought the home in foreclosure a few years ago and was slowly fixing it up himself. The wholesaler wanted 68K for the property, and I quickly estimated the home to be worth about 100K fixed up based on comps from similar homes. My partner and I made an offer of 60K for the property based on our rehab estimates, and at the end of the day the wholesaler accepted our offer. We had an inspection Monday and we closed on Tuesday, and just like that, we owned our first rental property.

Step 5: Now began the rehab. The property needed some work, the biggest issue was the backyard. There was an abandoned pool and overgrown landscaping that made the property appear MUCH worse than it actually was. There was no way we were going to have a pool in a rental property (insurance nightmare), so we got a pool remover to break up the pool, fill it in, and cover the backyard with beautiful sod. We then cut the vegetation away and suddenly the backyard was simple and clean. We replaced our side of the shared-townhome roof with 20-year shingles, and we installed a new 6 foot cedar privacy fence. We then turned our attention to the interior. The biggest issues with the interior was the unfinished stairs, partially completed bathrooms, and rotting exterior french doors. We got extremely lucky and found materials for the stairs in one of the closets that the previous owner had purchased. The interior rehab took 4 weeks, and we managed the project completely from out of state. Total cost of rehab: 18k. By the end of the rehab the home was completely restored, stable, and beautiful.

Step 6: Now we needed a renter. There were very little rental comps for a 3/2 townhome in that area, so pricing the rent was tricky. Another disadvantage we were facing is that our rehab completed the week after Thanksigiving, and finding renters in Al is slightly harder during the winter months. We had the nicest townhome on the street, so we marketed the property at $975/month. The highest a home had been rented in that area before was $850 a month, but that was for a 2-bedroom townhome. We didn't get any takers for the home, which was scary, and I was starting to think we had made a big mistake. We decided to drop the rent to $950 the day after Christmas and suddenly we had tons of interest in the property. We had a great qualified renter in the property the first week of January.

Step 7: Now the property was stabilized and rented. It was time to pull our money out. Our 6-month "seasoning" period was to end on March 11th, so at the begining of February I began looking for a bank to perform a cash-out refinance. I was hoping for an 80% LTV, but after calling around 30 banks I was not able to find anything better than 75%. The refinance process was painful (so much paperwork!), but after many hours and email exchanges between the lender, the final hurdle left was the appraisal. I was definetely worried the appraisal was going to come in low, as our property was nicer than any of the (limited) comps, but the appraisal came in at 105K! Here is a quick summary of the numbers:

Purchase Price: 60K

Rehab: 18K

Total Cost: 78K

Appraisal: 105K

Cash out Refinance: 78.5K!

WE DID IT!

These numbers are rounded of course and do not include a few thousand in holding costs and lender fee's, but the monthly rent in the interim period before we refinanced the property paid for those costs. The property is cash flow positive after accounting for maintenance, vacancy, and operating expenses, and we have pulled out our entire starting capital!

I can not thank Biggerpockets enough for the immense information available through their website and podcast. It has literally changed my life. 7 months ago my partner and I had -ZERO- rental properties. Since diving into the BRRRR method we now have -SIX- cash flowing rentals, with a goal of -TEN- by the end of the year.

Here are some pictures of the property before the rehab:

BEFORE PICTURES

AFTER PICTURES

I would love to answer any questions or comments you might have on the BRRRR process. I would not have been able to even GET STARTED in real estate investing if it wasn't for BP, so please if you have a question on the process let me know! My journey wasn't perfect, and there were plenty of things I will do differently moving forward, but for the first BRRRR I am extremely happy with how it went.

THANK YOU BP!

218Reply
1,818 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 32 votes
7y

Congratulations! How much did the refinance cost you and how much did your mortgage payment go up by? I feel like this part of the BRRRR strategy is not often talked about and curious to hear how it impacted your monthly cash flow.

See this reply in the discussion

305 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jimmy Carpenter:

    @James Gates

    You mind sharing that lender into with me? My partner and I are about to embark on a similar journey and we're already know the bottleneck will quickly be lenders. Thanks!

     Private message me!

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Suly B.:

    @James Gates Impressive before and after pictures, thank you for sharing!  I'm glad you decided to pull the trigger, you would've never known what you could accomplish.  With almost everything, the 1st is always the most difficult -it'll get easier. 

     Thank you Suly!

  • Tracy, CA · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    James that is awesome. Congratulations. Sounds like we are on a similar path. We are closing on our 6th BRRR since last April on Monday and it has been a great experience. Would love to connect at some point and share war stories. We are hoping to double or triple the number of projects we take on this upcoming year. I'm actually putting together my first investor presentation as we are going to be bringing in private money for the first time. Would love to see a sample that anyone has of what they use and any recommendations for a 1st timer looking to use private money.

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Arturo Colmenero:

    James that is awesome. Congratulations. Sounds like we are on a similar path. We are closing on our 6th BRRR since last April on Monday and it has been a great experience. Would love to connect at some point and share war stories. We are hoping to double or triple the number of projects we take on this upcoming year. I'm actually putting together my first investor presentation as we are going to be bringing in private money for the first time. Would love to see a sample that anyone has of what they use and any recommendations for a 1st timer looking to use private money.

     Hey Arturo,

    That is AWESOME, you are inspiring me to keep up the grind. I actually just presented to a private money investor for the first time last weekend, so I would love to swap stories. I'll private message you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    This is really good advice. It's easy to get caught up in fractions of a percentage difference between various cities. We want peace of mind that we're in "the best" market. But the price-to-rent ratio is .01% better in city A vs city B! Build a rockstar team of agents/lenders/contractors/prop managers (the Core 4, as David Greene says) in any of the top 20 markets and they will add vastly more to the return and peace of mind than the particular city. Took me a while to realize we're not buying whole cities, we're putting together one good deal at a time. 

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2019 · 117 posts · 57 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Gates:
    Originally posted by @Rehaan Khan:
    Originally posted by @James Gates:
    Originally posted by @Rehaan Khan:

    congratulations! So if you wanted to sell this property. Would it sell for $100K meaning around a $20K profit in cash?

     Hey Rehaan,

    The property would probably sell for just over 100K, which would be around 20K in GROSS profit, but with transaction costs and large taxes on flips/investment properties, we have no plans to sell. Our 5-7 year plan is to rent, collect cash flow, and reinvest cash flow. In the future when the principal has been paid down a little, inflation has eaten away the debt, appreciation (strong neighborhood) has lifted the value near 130K, we will "sell" the property with a tax-deferred 1031 exchange so limit our tax liability. 

     That sounds like a solid plan! What is a tax-deferred 1031 exchange?

     Hey Rehaan,

    I am not a tax attorney, but basically a 1031 exchange refers to a line in the US tax code that allows you to exchange "like kind" assets and defer taxes on the gain. So in real estate, you can "exchange" (sell) a property and you can roll the profits of that property into another property, and defer taxes on the gain. You can, in fact, defer taxes for your entire life by continuing to take advantage of the 1031 exchange. Eventually the plan is to exchange a large number of single family homes for a multifamily apartment complex without paying any taxes (legally).

    That's incredible. I always wondered how real estate guys like Robert Kiyosaki and Donald Trump get immense tax incentives and emphasize the importance of avoiding taxes in their books. 

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    James, amazing results and thank you for sharing the details.  Regarding your market research, can you share some of the sources that helped answer your investment criteria?

  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thank you for sharing @James Gates! I’m in the process of purchasing my first primary residence, so this is quite timely, relatable, and helpful as I look more into real estate investing.  I already have one rental property (basically thanks to an inheritance) but couldn’t quite figure out what to do if I wanted to obtain more rentals (other than the save cash approach), so discovering BP and seeing your strategy neatly laid out is super helpful!

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @James Gates hello James! Congrats on your success! My name is cristian Grullon and I'm a newbie investor out of central jersey. My wife and I broke into real estate with our first owner occupied duplex.. thing is we have some capital and the BRRRR method has really caught out attention, I've spent weeks and weeks researching and retaining as much knowledge as possible truly is overwhelming! My biggest question is what's the best way to fund the project?! Did you use hard money? Do we do it all cash with the capital that we have, paying for the home and rehab??? Any feed back would be helpful! Thanks!

  • Enterprise, AL · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Congratulations! I am closing on my first completely out of state investment property by the end of the month (using BP information). I'm currently in Alabama and the property is in Texas (the team there is amazing). Although that property is not a BRRRR, my next goal is a brrrr and doing that here seems like a logical choice.

    I will start that journey in 6 months once my Texas property stabilizes with a tenant. Could you pm me the lender and any contractors that you would recommend? My financials are in order, so I'm not worried about approval but a lender that is familiar with the process.

    Thank you!

  • Specialist · Hampton, VA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @James Gates Hello, James. I'm curious did you use the calculator that BP has available?
  • Specialist · Hampton, VA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @James Gates I'm also interested in the Brrrr strategy. This story is a great example of what steps I should take on my first deal using this method. Keep up the good work!!
  • Contractor · Greeley, CO · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @James Gates Accountability is huge, excellent use of tech to keep everything on track.

  • Developer · Lisbon · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @James Gates Thanks for the story it's really inspiring and motivating !

    Was it hard to do that strategy while living in another states ? Did you have to control the rehab process and stay there a lot ?

    Thank you for your time

    Paul

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eric Paul:

    James, amazing results and thank you for sharing the details.  Regarding your market research, can you share some of the sources that helped answer your investment criteria?

    Hey Eric,

    One of the things I like to do is just listen to various real estate podcasts and listen to which markets keep coming up over and over. Those are markets that investors are already being successful in, don't try to change the wheel. You can do a lot to a property, but you can't change its location. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cristian Grullon:

    @James Gates hello James! Congrats on your success! My name is cristian Grullon and I'm a newbie investor out of central jersey. My wife and I broke into real estate with our first owner occupied duplex.. thing is we have some capital and the BRRRR method has really caught out attention, I've spent weeks and weeks researching and retaining as much knowledge as possible truly is overwhelming! My biggest question is what's the best way to fund the project?! Did you use hard money? Do we do it all cash with the capital that we have, paying for the home and rehab??? Any feed back would be helpful! Thanks!

    For funding our first deal, I was forced to use a variety of strategies because I did not have enough liquid capital. First, I got a HELOC on my primary residence. Second, I brought a partner into the deal that had some liquid cash but no real estate knowledge. Third, I used 0% Interest Credit Cards for 18 months (with major sign up bonuses) to fund as much rehab as I could on the cards. You can't pay for everything on the credit cards (usually your contractor is paid in cash), but you can pay for a good amount. Those cards were just paid off with the funds received from the refinance. Rinse and Repeat.

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Barry G.:

    @James Gates

    Congratulations! I am closing on my first completely out of state investment property by the end of the month (using BP information). I'm currently in Alabama and the property is in Texas (the team there is amazing). Although that property is not a BRRRR, my next goal is a brrrr and doing that here seems like a logical choice.

    I will start that journey in 6 months once my Texas property stabilizes with a tenant. Could you pm me the lender and any contractors that you would recommend? My financials are in order, so I'm not worried about approval but a lender that is familiar with the process.

    Thank you!

     Private Messaged!

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Thompson:
    @James Gates Hello, James. I'm curious did you use the calculator that BP has available?

     Hey Aaron,

    I did use the BiggerPockets BRRRR calculator, it is very useful for wrapping your head around the numbers, and showing your investing partners (or private money lenders) visually and mathematically how the deal will work.

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Paul Hernaez:

    @James Gates Thanks for the story it's really inspiring and motivating !

    Was it hard to do that strategy while living in another states ? Did you have to control the rehab process and stay there a lot ?

    Thank you for your time

    Paul

     Hey Paul,

    It is not impossible to manage a rehab from afar if your systems are good. If you have built in layers of accountability, a strong team in place, and the proper incentives I think you will find it is easier than the daunting process it looks like. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dubai, UAE · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 51 votes
    7y

    @James Gates well done! your determination paid off. I am in the same boat so it was a pleasure reading about your success.

  • Arlington, VA · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Congrats on your success! I've heard great things about Huntsville from others as well. Must be a great city to be in at this point.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Angelo, TX · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Thanks for sharing your story. I am in the beginning stages of starting out and it is refreshing to hear a success story while I am still running through numbers attempting to make a deal work. Thanks again for sharing!

    - Taylor Douglas

  • Dave ZarconePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Upland, CA · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Hey James,

    Very motivational story. Especially since it hits so close to home. My wife and I flipped a home in late 2017 and decided that REI was the right path for us. Unfortunately, analysis paralysis is real, and we've primarily been looking in the Inland Empire instead of out of state. We have plenty of capital ready for starting our journey but just need that nudge, or the right partners, to move forward. I'd love to chat more about your story or start a conversation about future investments if you're looking for additional local partners or investors.

    Let me know your thoughts. Once again, stories like yours help the little guys stay motivated and encourage us to take action. Thank you for that. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Thank you for sharing your journey- truly a dream to have it workout like that... really thats my actual life goal! I am still a college freshman but I’m starting early and working on getting some answers so I can jump into real estate ASAP!

    With that said, I have a few questions for you...

    How did you find the right partner?

    How did you evaluate that house as a good one to rent?

    How did you find tenants?

    And lastly, what was the most difficult part of long distance renting?

    I really appreciate your time. Congrats on your properties!

    Thank you,

    Nate

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    I am just starting out, recently retired and am looking for monthly income to supplement my pension. The retirement wasn't planned,job injury. 

    Your story is inspirational.  I live in the Atlanta-Metro area and like most buyers do not want to be a slumlord.  My other desire is to see the not so great neighborhoods become revitalized.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.