Rehab In Michigan turned air bnb

Rehab In Michigan turned air bnb

Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $4,000
Cash invested: $30,000

Purchased house with foundation wall collapsed. House was condemned. I saved cash from work and rebuilt the entire house. I vaulted the ceilings and replaced all the electrical, plumbing, and mechanical elements. I also resided, and reroofed the house and built a new deck and gazebo on the property.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I have the experience to rehab almost any house and I had the time. I wanted to complete a project on my own that had no debt associated with it.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Condemned house on the mls. I had a real estate license in Michigan at the time.

How did you finance this deal?

Cash

How did you add value to the deal?

I rebuilt it myself

What was the outcome?

It’s on air bnb doing well

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I might not pick one that was this far gone again. I had no capital and it has turned out to be a great investment though.

1Reply
29 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 387 posts · 129 votes
    7y

    @Thomas Doezema  Great job. Congrats

  • Professional · Canton, MI · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 230 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Thomas Doezema:

    Investment Info:

    Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

    Purchase price: $4,000

    Cash invested: $30,000

    Purchased house with foundation wall collapsed. House was condemned. I saved cash from work and rebuilt the entire house. I vaulted the ceilings and replaced all the electrical, plumbing, and mechanical elements. I also resided, and reroofed the house and built a new deck and gazebo on the property.

    What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

    I have the experience to rehab almost any house and I had the time. I wanted to complete a project on my own that had no debt associated with it.

    How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

    Condemned house on the mls. I had a real estate license in Michigan at the time.

    How did you finance this deal?

    Cash

    How did you add value to the deal?

    I rebuilt it myself

    What was the outcome?

    It’s on air bnb doing well

    Lessons learned? Challenges?

    I might not pick one that was this far gone again. I had no capital and it has turned out to be a great investment though.

     Very cool. Would love to see pictures. Where's the house located?

  • Rental Property Investor · Naples, FL · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Looking to do something similar in the Detroit area as well.  Inspiring story and house looks great!

  • Real Estate Agent · St. Clair Shores, MI · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Dustin G. Hello! I am a realtor in the metro detroit area and have an extensive construction backround! Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

  • Real Estate Agent · St. Clair Shores, MI · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Thomas Doezema this house looks awesome! I bet you will continue to do very well on air bnb! And for 35k!!! ........nice job!

  • Lender · Troy, MI · Member since 2019 · 432 posts · 147 votes
    7y

    @Thomas Doezema

    Congratulations this is very impressive.

    You created sweat equity with calculated risk; by adding significant value on this property.

  • Real Estate Agent · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Amazing job @Thomas Doezema

  • Real Estate Broker · MI · Member since 2014 · 594 posts · 183 votes
    7y

    @Thomas Doezema From start to finish how long did it take you? Pulling permits must have slowed you down a bit specially getting the building department to approve your construction?

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Scott, 

    When I bought the house the west foundation wall had collapsed and the house was barely standing. I gutted the house and jacked it up and replaced that wall in the first few months. I hadn’t pulled permits at all. The city condemned the house and shut me down. It took at least 6 months going back and forth with the city before I could get back to work. I was building a different house for my family for income at the time and working other odd jobs to make money, pay bills and buy materials for this rehab. Once I got back to work I still was on and off between other jobs and setting aside money and salvage materials for this house. It was about three years before I was complete and ready to rent. The permitting was definitely a road block and one of the more difficult obstacles. I told the city it was going to be owner occupied and they were rightfully skeptical. They fined me and set up road blocks and problems the whole time and delayed my work a lot. If I hadn’t bought it so cheap and had had a bank loan I probably would have failed. I also didn’t really end up telling the city the extent of the work I planned to do. I said I wouldn’t change thefloor plan just to get them to give me permits without elaborate drawings. I ripped every wall out though. There appeared to be major separation between the main office and the inspectors. The actual inspectors saw my work and loved it. They passed me without questioning the giant discrepancy’s between the permits I pulled and the actual work. Pull minor permits and post them. Cover all your windows and don’t let anyone in. Keep the the premises very clean. Cross your fingers. I will have a builders license before my next rehab. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.