[Calc Review] Help me analyze this deal 1st potential BRRRR!

[Calc Review] Help me analyze this deal 1st potential BRRRR!

Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 12 votes

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

Looking at my first property to BRRRR! I'd appreciate any feedback. Especially % on management, CapEX, and maintenance.

0Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Verde Valley Arizona USA · Member since 2018 · 115 posts · 98 votes
7y

@Murray Smith: Not enough information in your calculator.  You need to drill down on the costs of the Refurb.  @Michael Noto is right about the CapEx and I agree with @Jason Medhurst on the numbers. If you can do the work yourself this can work. I see you're an architect so you should know your way around local construction.

Your lender might want to see six months of seasoning before committing to a loan on a Brrrr.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    For the renovation what kind of work are you doing? Will most of the large cap ex items be addressed (roof, furnace, windows, hw heater, etc)? If they will not all be addressed then I would bump up your post renovation allowances for repairs and cap ex to 7% each minimum.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Murray Smith:

    • Your refi terms are a little optimisic. Best I'm seeing for non-owner occupied is 4.7% and 30 years.
    • Expect to keep 25% equity in the property. That maxes your refi at $84, 750. You might get lucky and find a lender that does 20%, but don't count on it.
    • You'll have closing costs on the refi. Figure $3-4k, depending on your area.
    • As @Michael Noto noted, repairs and CapEx are low. I figure ~15% total.
    • Finding Management for 8% may be difficult. Especially, if this is your first and only property. Figure 10-12% to be safe.
    • Any utilities costs like water/sewer or house electric? 
  • Verde Valley Arizona USA · Member since 2018 · 115 posts · 98 votes
    7y

    @Murray Smith: Not enough information in your calculator.  You need to drill down on the costs of the Refurb.  @Michael Noto is right about the CapEx and I agree with @Jason Medhurst on the numbers. If you can do the work yourself this can work. I see you're an architect so you should know your way around local construction.

    Your lender might want to see six months of seasoning before committing to a loan on a Brrrr.

  • Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Michael Noto thank you.  I'll be using 7% for each in future calculations.  

    @Jaysen Medhurst thank you.  I didn't realized mortgage rate were different (higher) for non-owner occupied properties. 

    @Henry Kaldenbaugh thank you.  I'm glad I posted this analysis.  I'll definitely get the numbers firmed up next time.        

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.