My first Deal in Sacramento California

My first Deal in Sacramento California

Sacramento, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 12 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $296,000
Cash invested: $20,000

Two homes on one lot! Front home sits on a corner lot at 1235 sqft, has 2 bedrooms + den, new tile around tub in bathroom, 1 yr old HVAC, new paint & remodeled kitchen. Back home at 836 sqft is fenced, has 1 bedroom + bonus room, 1 bath, has window laundry units and remodeled kitchen as well. Easy access to freeway & close to public transportation. Near to Christian Brothers High School. Remodeled/Updated: Yes!#!Remodeled/Updtd Desc: Bath 0-5YR, Kitchen 0-5YR

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

What made me interested in this deal was the "up and coming" trendy neighborhood of Oak Park, Sacarmento, and also the ability for me to start my investing career using this deal as my first "House Hack".

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I found this deal on the MLS, September, 2018. I remember the market having slowed at this time, and I was able to get a near full price offer accepted, waiving all closing costs, and having the sellers do a few repairs.

How did you finance this deal?

FHA Loan, 3.5% down

How did you add value to the deal?

Since owning the property, I've added a laundry room to the 2nd back unit, created a driveway for parking, added a privacy fence with a small backyard, and painted both homes exteriors.

What was the outcome?

I'm living in the smaller unit, and renting out the larger corner home out for $1280, and have a $1800 mortgage.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I should have done a FHA Renovation Loan on this deal, and built in my RENO costs.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Yes I did, my realtor was Josh Amolsch, with the Elizabeth Weintraub Team, in Sacramento, Ca.

0Reply
20 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 104 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    Having used an FHA renovation loan, I just want to say that while they help you when you really need it, they make the process a lot more complicated. And some inspectors balk at using the money for things not necessary for health and safety. Since you managed to pay for it on your own (fairly promptly too!), you probably saved yourself a fair bit of hassle, and now you can probably refinance that cash back out (and lower your rate while you're at it), no? Anyway, great job!

  • DJ DawsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 394 posts · 259 votes
    7y

    Josh Amolsch is the man!!! Nice work!

  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 12 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Carrie K.:

    Having used an FHA renovation loan, I just want to say that while they help you when you really need it, they make the process a lot more complicated. And some inspectors balk at using the money for things not necessary for health and safety. Since you managed to pay for it on your own (fairly promptly too!), you probably saved yourself a fair bit of hassle, and now you can probably refinance that cash back out (and lower your rate while you're at it), no? Anyway, great job!

    I wish I would have used the FHA RENO Loan, despite the hassle that I have heard they've been. I'm currently doing a live in rehab, and have flooring, plus a bathroom to finish. I have had to use 5k of my own cash, plus some sweat equity, but I'm absolutely stoked to have my first deal! I've managed to refi out of my 4.85 down to a 4.1, making my payment go from $2100 to $1800 for both houses. Thanks for the reply, Carrie. Let's stay in touch!

  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 12 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @DJ Dawson:

    Josh Amolsch is the man!!! Nice work!

    Sac is a small world. Thanks DJ, let's stay in touch!

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing! You are doing a great work!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.