I QUIT THE CUBE!!!!!

I QUIT THE CUBE!!!!!

Flipper/Rehabber · Dacula, GA · Member since 2012 · 78 posts · 68 votes

My friends,

587 days

Or 1 year, 7 months, 10 days

Or 19 months, 10 days

Or 83 weeks and 6 days

Or 845,280 minutes

50,716,800 seconds.... but who's counting? ; )

Honestly, it's been a blur! When I sat down to write this post I had no clue it had been that long since I ventured into real estate investing full time. It seems like yesterday that I was getting up at 4:44 am to make my daily trek from Woodstock, GA to downtown Atlanta. I got up that early because I despise traffic. The commute was miserable, I was miserable. But after a painful divorce (aren't they all) in 2012, I had a paradigm shift. That is when my thought process changed, my attitude changed and my master plan changed! I set out with the end goal of quitting corporate America for good!

@Vincent Crane recently reached out and asked me to speak about my story at the Atlanta REI Meetup. Vince... Thanks for thinking of me. It's an honor to speak to the group. I hope I can add some value!

Shameless plug….If you have not been yet, I highly encourage you to come and check it out! We meet at "The Ivy" in Buckhead every month. The group has grown to almost 1300 members and comprises some amazing individuals doing really great things in the Atlanta market and around the country. We meet this Wed (July 31) at 7 pm so come on out and network with these impressive investors and oh yeah, hear my story!

I'll come back to this post after the meetup to answer any questions as well as provide some details of the last 19 months of my journey and what things look like moving forward.

In closing. What's your story? Have you already left your W2 job? Do you want to leave but haven't made the leap yet? What's holding you back?"

Talk soon!

31Reply
247 views

Most Popular Reply

Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 7 votes
7y

@Dean R.

Congratulations, you’re out of the rat race! I’ve finally secured the funding for my dream of purchasing a multiunit building. Within a year, or 365 days, I’ll be in a position to leave the W2 world, but whose counting anyway?

See this reply in the discussion

116 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Milton, GA · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks for sharing your story & congrats on your success! I am starting for now investing in real estate to grow my retirement IRA, but would love the opportunity to do it full-time in the near future!! Continued success to you....

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    So inspiring Dean! 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dacula, GA · Member since 2012 · 78 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Haley Thayer You're welcome! I know the feeling. I have done a much better job of taking downtime this year vs. year 1 of self-employment. I force myself to play golf regularly now. ; )

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dacula, GA · Member since 2012 · 78 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Sherry Houston You're welcome! How are you using your IRA? I took my corporate 401k and moved it into a self-directed 401k and I lend the money to other investors. I love compounding interest. : )

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dacula, GA · Member since 2012 · 78 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Aaron Claybourn Thank you!

  • Milton, GA · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Dean R. I am doing the same, but using a SDIRA. I am still in the early stages with trying to decide what investment (private lending, rental property, etc) will provide me with the best ROI & of course considering the benefit of having rental income for years. :) Continued success for you....

  • Maple Grove, MN · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Sherry Houston and @Dean R.,   at the risk of hijacking your post(which I don't want to do) which companies are you using to set up your SDIRA/401K? Thanks

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dacula, GA · Member since 2012 · 78 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @erik noraas I used @justin windham

  • Milton, GA · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Dean,

    I am glad that I came across your post. I just quit the cubicle farm on July 12th and I am actually moving to Atlanta in 4 months. Congrats on your accomplishments and I look forward to attending the REI meetup once I am in ATL.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dacula, GA · Member since 2012 · 78 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Shawn Garnes Congrats! I look forward to meeting you!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 66 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Dean R. thanks for tagging me! Fantastic story! What area were those duplexes in? That blew my mind more than anything...'my CPA said I had too much money, so I went and bought 5 duplexes!' Cracked me up. Were they a portfolio purchase or did you have to track each one down individually? 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dacula, GA · Member since 2012 · 78 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Julia Fair You're welcome! Thanks! The duplexes are in Athens. 4 of them were owned by 1 owner and the other a different owner. All 5 in the same neighborhood. I figured if I were gonna a do it why not buy them all. Economies of scale with the rehab etc.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 66 posts · 32 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dean R.:

    @Julia Fair You're welcome! Thanks! The duplexes are in Athens. 4 of them were owned by 1 owner and the other a different owner. All 5 in the same neighborhood. I figured if I were gonna a do it why not buy them all. Economies of scale with the rehab etc.

    Man, that's the way to do it! I've looked at Athens as well. Seems to be a pretty ok market. We're in Kennesaw so we're willing to go anywhere within an hour and a half on this side of the city to try to get some better deals.  

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Dean R. Congratulations Dean! Real Estate Investing does have some pretty amazing power to change the course of one's life! 🤗

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dacula, GA · Member since 2012 · 78 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @ola Dantis Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.