To sell or not to sell... that is the question.

To sell or not to sell... that is the question.

Wichita, KS · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 7 votes

When I mortgaged my home 4 years ago, the homes were selling for 150k. Now, in that area, the homes are selling close to 200k. Should I sell?

0Reply
20 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y

    Why would you want to sell?

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    What are you going to do with the money? 

    We need more details to give you an educated answer...

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 436 votes
    7y

    @Al Nelson

    Questions you’ll have to ask yourself before you have that answer:

    1. What will I do with the money if I sell?

    2. What will be my tax liability and how to I best mitigate it?

    3. What are my investing goals at a higher level and how does this property fit into it?

  • Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes
    7y

    You didn't finish your thought.

    Should you sell?

    No. 

    Should you sell and...   

    Maybe.  

  • Wichita, KS · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    To give more detail, I would use any profits to pay off other debt. Invest in more rental properties and eventually purchase a less expensive primary residence.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Al Nelson Generally, seldom sell.

    Without knowing the specifics it's hard to give you a good answer. If you sell now and buy now, you have not gained anything, because you will also have to buy in a higher market.

    But maybe its time to refinance?

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    @Al Nelson  If you sold it to pay off debts, where would you live and how much would that cost compared to what you pay now?  The $50K in equity after selling will be less.  

  • Wichita, KS · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Theresa Harris I will live in another propety that I own.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.