Successful Metro Detroit BRRRR

Successful Metro Detroit BRRRR

Keyonte SummersPro Member
Harper Woods, MI · Member since 2017 · 384 posts · 311 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $35,000
Cash invested: $20,000

This is my most recent BRRRR in the Detroit area. The deal was found leaving one of my other rentals in the area rents for 1075. It's just to show that good deals are still out here. The seller works at a title company, so she still reaches out with leads and add value to my investing career.

I handled this rehab alone but very much appreciated my other BP’ers that came in and bounced ideas with about design and getting maximum value.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

FSBO for a neighborhood I was familiar with. I knew the ARV was high for the asking price.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Pure mistake was leaving one of my rentals doing some maintenance saw the FSBO sign. I pulled over looked at the exterior, called the # in my car asked when I can see it because I'm outside. I saw it the same day contract signed the next.

Asking was 45k but got them down to 35k but could have aimed lower. I sold them on my personality and me being a local investor and being able to close when they wanted. They needed fast cash but didn’t need to move until 3 weeks after closing

How did you finance this deal?

HELOC and 0% business credit cards

How did you add value to the deal?

Renovation- New Bath, Kitchen, flooring, etc. Painted exterior. I manage my own rehabs and usually do 60% of the work if time permits. I enjoy the rehab process and being hand-on in every aspect, expect any drywall work.

What was the outcome?

$40k + spread after repaying HELOC and business credit cards. Receiving 1075 in rent at this home and its not even the highest rental comp.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Challenges: A ton of deferred maintenance on this project pet city. 3 dogs, 2 cats and all smell when completing the rehab. It also had a bee farm which I was stung from leftover bees.

Lesson Learned: Filter your contractors, I had to fire someone off this project because of poor work and rigged references and pictures because my normal people weren’t available. Pick a design plan and stick with it. I wasted money in the kitchen placing in a tile and looking at it, I didn’t like it so con

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I had my agent pull comps to make sure the spread was good enough before purchasing.

7Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

YES! I love you're sharing these numbers, man. Congrats (again)! 

On to the next :-)

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    YES! I love you're sharing these numbers, man. Congrats (again)! 

    On to the next :-)

  • Keyonte SummersPro Member
    OP
    Harper Woods, MI · Member since 2017 · 384 posts · 311 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Travis Biziorek:

    YES! I love you're sharing these numbers, man. Congrats (again)! 

    On to the next :-)

     You are next buddy, you have a huge year coming. Cant wait to see all the reno's completed its going to be EPIC. No less then 3 of these for you coming.  

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Keyonte Summers:
    Originally posted by @Travis Biziorek:

    YES! I love you're sharing these numbers, man. Congrats (again)! 

    On to the next :-)

     You are next buddy, you have a huge year coming. Cant wait to see all the reno's completed its going to be EPIC. No less then 3 of these for you coming.  

    I hope so! It’s all riding on Haverhill 😬

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh|Detroit · Member since 2019 · 75 posts · 39 votes
    6y

    Great job! How many BRRRRs have you done thus far? 
    Did you wait the typical 6 month seasoning for the cash out?
    I'm currently at the refinance part of my first BRRRR but I'm having trouble finding lenders that will do delayed financing and waive the seasoning. Please PM me if you have one!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Keyonte Summers: awesome of you to share!

  • Rental Property Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 380 posts · 244 votes
    6y

    @Keyonte Summers That is a cool breakdown, good job!

  • Keyonte SummersPro Member
    OP
    Harper Woods, MI · Member since 2017 · 384 posts · 311 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Constance Kawa-Small:

    Great job! How many BRRRRs have you done thus far? 
    Did you wait the typical 6 month seasoning for the cash out?
    I'm currently at the refinance part of my first BRRRR but I'm having trouble finding lenders that will do delayed financing and waive the seasoning. Please PM me if you have one!

    I'm on my 3rd one. For the cash-out refi you have to wait the full 6 months for the new appraised value to count, if not its just delayed financing. With delayed fianacing is before the 6 month marker and you only get 75% of you what you paid and none of the improvements. I dont have lender that ignores those rules its one or another. PM with a little more detail so I can help you.

  • Keyonte SummersPro Member
    OP
    Harper Woods, MI · Member since 2017 · 384 posts · 311 votes
    6y

    @Jamiel Strickland , @Drew Sygit  thanks for the motivation

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.