Help Analzye this deal w/ seller financing

Help Analzye this deal w/ seller financing

Avondale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 7 votes
Hi everyone! I'm a new REI looking at getting into multi-family rental properties here in Phoenix. I started looking into some properties and found some with seller financing options. I found 2 properties with the same owner. I had contracted the commercial broker helping with the sell listings. He told me the owner is asking 19% down with seller financing however, then he told me the owner is open to any type of deal within reason. He said to come up with some options and email him my terms. I would love for you to help analyze my deal to see if it's good to even get, and then after listening to many numerous episodes and other investors on how they did their deals, I'm hoping maybe asking for a $0 down deal (no money down or little money down) option I can present! I have the outlook that the worst the owner could say is no right?! Here is the 1st property : $349k - 2 units (3/2, 2/1) On this property the lowest interest rate would be 6.5% because there is a mortgage on it at this rate. These are his "actual summary" Gross Annual rent is $22,332. Vac Loss $1,116. Effective Gross Income $21,216 Property Taxes $990 Operating Expenses $5,238 Total Expenses $6,228 Net operating Income $14,988 The 2nd property is $495k - 3 units (2 -2/1 & 1bdrm) These are his "actual summary" Gross Annual rent is $35,820. Other Income $600 Vac Loss $1,791. Effective Gross Income $34,629 Property Taxes $2,245 Operating Expenses $6,528.00 Total Expenses $8,773 Net operating Income $25,856 My thoughts were to do seller financing for 12 months to 18 months, then purchase the property through a conventional loan. If I did a loan similar to a HML for the first 12-18 months would that be worth it? I'm not sure if I would be in the hole or if there would be a cashflow coming in for me on top of the mo premium to the owner? All suggestions, input, and advice are welcome.
0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brenden MitchumBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    6y

    Hi @Anissa Hernandez!

    Congrats on finding a potential deal and starting that negotiation process!

    The first big red flag I see here is your expenses. For the first property they are only at about 30%. For the second they are 20%. These are highly unrealistic. It looks like you're saying these are the seller's numbers so no surprise here. Underreporting expenses is common and he might think a new investor won't catch it. It also looks like he has vacancy at 5%. I would assume 10% unless you have rent rolls that say otherwise. So now run you numbers with 50-55% expenses and 10% vacancy to get a better idea of what kind of deal it is. 

    It sounds like you might not be super familiar with MF underwriting so I highly recommend you watch some videos on this and maybe even purchase software. Michael Blank has a solid, affordable one that comes with some good educational videos.

    And please, feel free to message me anytime if you have questions or just want to chat!

  • Avondale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Brenden Mitchum Hello there! I wanted to thank you for your input awhile back. I ended up not going through with the deal. There ended up being other expenses that was not included in the initial offering. So I felt it was not good deal for me at the time.
    i was curious how your investing is doing in Georgia? Has anything changed since Covid-19 with your real estate business? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.