Section 8 Rental Deal Analysis and Hard Money Loans

Section 8 Rental Deal Analysis and Hard Money Loans

Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 4 votes

Hi BP Community,

I'm looking at a deal in Cleveland, Ohio and this will be my first deal. I'd like to get some perspective about the viability of this deal and the prospect of securing hard money.

The property is a single family home, with Section 8 paying the full amount of rent ($900). This is over market for the area (market rent is around $700) but the tenant wants to stay long term. I've received disclosures stating $900 is the actual rent amount so that is not a concern. Even at $700 rent it would still cash flow well.

It's in a D neighborhood but by all appearances the neighborhood is safe. The home has some high CapEx ($200 per month to set aside) since it has some big repairs that will be required in the next 3-5 years but I'm willing to overlook that since since the rent is guaranteed and over market. It looks like I'd be able to secure the deal for 15% under market value as well.

I'd like to get a hard money loan for this deal, but I understand that it's much more difficult to secure financing these days. So my questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone had success getting hard money in Cleveland since the pandemic, and if so, how did you go about it?

2) Is this a good deal? Does it sound too good to be true?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to address my questions and concerns.

1Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

John KosterPro Member
Investor · Valley Village, CA · Member since 2012 · 147 posts · 142 votes
6y

I know that at the right price there are examples of deals working in any area, but with the current economic situation and an uncertain near future, I would avoid investing in a D area right now, especially if you're an out of state investor.   Section 8 payments are a nice guaranteed income, but in a bad economy, a D neighborhood can become an F neighborhood quickly. If that happens, then you have:

- A neighborhood that a single mother section 8 tenant won't want to stay in.  

- A property that requires a lot of maintenance that many Property Managers won't want to work in.

- A property that is worth next to nothing that will be very difficult to sell.

In the last downturn, properties in B neighborhoods in Cleveland were selling for what C-/D+ areas are selling for now.   Many investors don't believe in timing the market, but I would rather be safe than sorry right now.  

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John KosterPro Member
    Investor · Valley Village, CA · Member since 2012 · 147 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    I know that at the right price there are examples of deals working in any area, but with the current economic situation and an uncertain near future, I would avoid investing in a D area right now, especially if you're an out of state investor.   Section 8 payments are a nice guaranteed income, but in a bad economy, a D neighborhood can become an F neighborhood quickly. If that happens, then you have:

    - A neighborhood that a single mother section 8 tenant won't want to stay in.  

    - A property that requires a lot of maintenance that many Property Managers won't want to work in.

    - A property that is worth next to nothing that will be very difficult to sell.

    In the last downturn, properties in B neighborhoods in Cleveland were selling for what C-/D+ areas are selling for now.   Many investors don't believe in timing the market, but I would rather be safe than sorry right now.  

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Memphis · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Tracy do you have the PDF from the calculator so we can examine your deal? 

    Im actually in the same situation. Have a property under contract I plan to section 8 it. I got a good deal on it. I should have an answer about the HM funding for my deal tomorrow. 

  • Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @John Koster Thank you so much for the feedback. You bring up excellent points that make me pause and reevaluate whether I want to go into this deal at this point in time. I completely agree that timing the market will be of the essence in these uncertain times and moving forward. It is possible that the best deals still lie ahead.

    Thanks again for your reply!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 172 posts · 122 votes
    6y

    @Tracy Meyers I wouldn't throw this deal away because it is a D class property. Don't forget that section 8 gives you guaranteed income. A tenant is not going to want to lose their sec 8 voucher right now specially with this economy. 

    If I were you I would consult with your agent about this particular area and street. Perhaps it is coming up and may be a C class property in a few years. Also, since it is sec 8 I would advise to keep more of the cashflow towards repairs. Hope this helps!

  • Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Richard Nelson I don't have access to the tool as I am not a pro member, but will certainly look into it as it sounds like an interesting feature. In any case I am hoping to get more seasoned investors opinion on the deal such as yourself so as to make a decision on whether to jump on this deal or let this one go. I'm glad to hear that you're in the process of securing HM funding for your purchase! I am planning on making several calls tomorrow morning to different lenders just to get a feel for where they're at during these difficult times. If you have any suggestions as to whom to get in touch with, I'd welcome them. 

  • Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Ramon Flores Thank you so much for your input! The guaranteed income does sound appealing and I agree, the tenant does have a strong interest in maintaining her/his voucher, especially in these difficult times. I have reached out to a local agent and she seems quite knowledgeable. She'll be contacting me tomorrow with an update and I hope to gain additional insight from it.

    Thanks again!

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Tracy Meyers Is there a reason you’re looking at hard money as opposed to conventional financing?

    Hard money loans usually have a short term payoff (i.e. 12 months), so they’re typically better suited for fix and flips than long-term buy and holds. 

    That doesn’t mean you can’t use them, but you’ll need to have a solid exit plan (i.e. refi into a conventional loan) lined up if you go that route.

  • Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Kyle J. Thank you for your input. To answer your question, I have been looking at lenders who offer 30 year fixed rates although I know many HM lenders only offer short term financing. It is my impression that conventional lenders are pulling back on their non-owner occupied loan approvals due to the pandemic and financing is drying up in that arena but I will certainly try all of my options and leave no stone unturned. Now that you bring up the very important subject of financing, I am curious to know if anyone has had any luck with portfolio lenders? Like small community banks? 

    Thanks again!

  • Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    @Tracy Meyers where in Cleveland is it? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.