58,000 NOI on my first flip

58,000 NOI on my first flip

Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence fix & flip investment in Fayetteville.

Purchase price: $20,765
Cash invested: $55,000
Sale price: $145,000

Sort of a clickbait title, this was hardly my first rehab property but it was the first one I sold instead of keeping.

Flipped this through Covid-19 which delayed our closing by about 40 days. We had 5 offers in the first day, we closed at full asking price.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I've been doing buy and hold investing for a while but have been finding it's limitations recently and wanted something more active to do. I also have been trying to put more content on YouTube and flipping lends itself to that better than rentals.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Found off market through a wholesaler I met through networking on BiggerPockets

How did you finance this deal?

I paid for the house with a HELOC and used private money to fund the majority of the deal. I agreed to pay him 30% of net (which was way too much in retrospect) but he gave me all the money up front with no interest payments and no draws. Very easy.

How did you add value to the deal?

Full rehab, house was in terrible shape but a great location

What was the outcome?

rehab went well, made some money, everyone happy.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I would be nothing without my team, real estate is a people game FIRST for sure.

@nathan cross
@daniella osornio
@rodrick jackson

11Reply
47 views

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alexander FelicePro Member
    OP
    Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
  • Martin LindsayPro Member
    Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 77 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    @Alexander Felice Great job!! Was the $55k figure the rehab only or does that include your purchase price? Great margin either way. Also is that Fayetteville NC? 

  • Alexander FelicePro Member
    OP
    Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Martin Lindsay:

    @Alexander Felice Great job!! Was the $55k figure the rehab only or does that include your purchase price? Great margin either way. Also is that Fayetteville NC? 

    thanks! 

    That was rehab cost only. Yes this is in Fayetteville NC, I have been investing there for quite a while but just now starting to do flips instead of rentals. Second flip is already purchased with rehab and filming already started. 

  • Martin LindsayPro Member
    Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 77 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    @Alexander Felice That's awesome man! I'm local to Charlotte NC and typically invest there and surrounding areas, but I'm actually starting to explore the Fayetteville market too. Currently buying two duplexes in Hope Mills but I've also wondered about the potential of flips. Prices are low so the margins seem strong, I've just been wary of flips right now due to the uncertainty of buyers with Covid-19

  • Alexander FelicePro Member
    OP
    Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Martin Lindsay:

    @Alexander Felice That's awesome man! I'm local to Charlotte NC and typically invest there and surrounding areas, but I'm actually starting to explore the Fayetteville market too. Currently buying two duplexes in Hope Mills but I've also wondered about the potential of flips. Prices are low so the margins seem strong, I've just been wary of flips right now due to the uncertainty of buyers with Covid-19

    Nice, let me know if I can help.

    I love the Charlotte area, I'm going there next week to do some video work about a local BP member there for a new project BiggerPockets and I are working on. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2017 · 128 posts · 131 votes
    6y

    @Alexander Felice

    This is awesome - huge motivation - just closed on a 4plex in Fayetteville right at the beginning of COVID - had to make the decision of whether to go forward or not. Blessed to have RJ managing the rehab and PM services, so I felt confident to keep moving forward.

  • Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Alexander Felice

    Wow! This rehab looks amazing. I’m new to Fayetteville and new to investing but I’m very excited and learning as much as I can for my first property.

    How has your buy and hold experience been in Fayetteville? Have you found a steady stream of tenant and cash flow from single family homes here?

  • Alexander FelicePro Member
    OP
    Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Grayson Spittel:

    @Alexander Felice

    This is awesome - huge motivation - just closed on a 4plex in Fayetteville right at the beginning of COVID - had to make the decision of whether to go forward or not. Blessed to have RJ managing the rehab and PM services, so I felt confident to keep moving forward.

    Rodrick is my partner, we've been together for a while. He's a godsend <3

  • Alexander FelicePro Member
    OP
    Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Antionette Carradine:

    @Alexander Felice

    Wow! This rehab looks amazing. I’m new to Fayetteville and new to investing but I’m very excited and learning as much as I can for my first property.

    How has your buy and hold experience been in Fayetteville? Have you found a steady stream of tenant and cash flow from single family homes here?

     Fayetteville is a good place to start. it's a very forgiving market, finding tenants is no problem.

    The downside to Fayetteville is that there is no growth. Zero, Zilch, Nada. As it becomes more popular and investors raise prices the margins slim with no way to make them up. I will continue to invest there because I have a concrete system and network but I'm looking to expand into markets that have much more upside. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC (washington dc) · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 23 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Grayson Spittel:

    @Alexander Felice

    This is awesome - huge motivation - just closed on a 4plex in Fayetteville right at the beginning of COVID - had to make the decision of whether to go forward or not. Blessed to have RJ managing the rehab and PM services, so I felt confident to keep moving forward.

    RJ is doing my SFH BRRRR right now, so far seems like a solid choice. All about building that team and moving forward when others are afraid.

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC (washington dc) · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Alexander Felice Great job man. Love that pink door haha. Have you thought about a 1031 exchange on some of the flips going forward to push off the capital gains taxes?

  • Alexander FelicePro Member
    OP
    Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ankush Ratwani:

    @Alexander Felice Great job man. Love that pink door haha. Have you thought about a 1031 exchange on some of the flips going forward to push off the capital gains taxes?

    I would have to keep the property for a year for it to be viable as a 1031 exchange, so no. 

    I prefer just to turn the inventory, the tax hit isn't on the top of the list of my concerns ;) 

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    Congrats!

  • Investor · NYC · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Grayson Spittel

    Hi Grayson, that is awesome! How did you find the fourplex?

  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2017 · 128 posts · 131 votes
    5y

    @Karen Valdez a wholesaler in the area! Great way to find properties that work with BRRRR strategy because of the potential margins being higher than a MLS listed property. All the best -

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.