$158,000 in Union City, NJ (Is it worth it?)

$158,000 in Union City, NJ (Is it worth it?)

New to Real Estate · NJ · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 5 votes

I am looking at a 2bd/2ba in Union City for $158k (1,078 sqft) =$147/sqft (two units)

Other properties in the area are selling for 300k-400k, which average around 300+/ sqft

It is a foreclosure and is sold as-is by the bank and remodeled in 2006.

Rent: $1200+ for a 1bd/1ba in the area of the property.

Anything else that I'm missing? 


I would love to hear any feedback, opinions, comments!

0Reply
25 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Eastern Shore MD · Member since 2018 · 139 posts · 79 votes
    6y

    REO's are a great way to get excellent deals. Keep in mind you need to prepare for the worse, and hope for the best. These deals are AS IS. You can still do an inspection, or hire a professional to do one, but typically the bank has already priced it accordingly. If the deal numbers work out, and there is no massive issue that needs to be fixed prior to occupancy, it could be a great deal. I would get your financing lined up first, as REO's typically go to cash offers. Good Luck!

  • Residential Lender · North Arlington, NJ · Member since 2008 · 21 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Where is the property located in Union City?

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 672 posts · 677 votes
    6y

    Are you familiar with UC rent control? It's pretty odd and unique, and not in a good way. I offered on a 4 plex years ago until I dug into local ordinance. Some good old threads on BP if you search but depending on the place, it can be terrible. Again there are exemptions but make sure you do your research. They have buildings registered with the city and you cant go above what they set unless its within a certain number. Theres a lot more to it but that's just the start. Quick ancetdote, after I offered one tenant found out about the laws and went down to the rent control office. Their rent was $100 over what the unit was registered for and the city sent the owner a letter, effectively reducing their rent. 

    UC is densely populated so no need to worry about vacancy at least. 

  • Residential Lender · North Arlington, NJ · Member since 2008 · 21 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    I was born and raised in Union City.  The rent control is not an issue with a condo.  With a 4 family, you absolutely have to deal with their rent control rules.

  • New to Real Estate · NJ · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Thank you so much for all the replies!

    @Alan Feldman good to know! I am doing that as we speak (Getting finances in order)

    @Mark F. I never thought of that. I will look more into this but I don't think that is the case with this property.

    @Tony Nardini This property is not a 4 Family. Good to know all these things before hand.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.