House Fishing [Minneapolis Househack Deal Analysis]

House Fishing [Minneapolis Househack Deal Analysis]

Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2018 · 153 posts · 75 votes
PROPERTY INFO
Property Address 1123 25th Ave N, MPLS 55411
MLS# 5609309
Number of Units (Duplex, Triplex, 4plex) 2
Crime Rating (Low/Medium/High) Medium
Property Listing Price $ 210,000.00
Rehab Needed? (None/Light/Medium/Heavy/Full) Medium
Square Footage 1,492
Rehab Price/Square Foot (Refer to Key on Right) $ 25.00
Total Rehab Estimate $ 37,300.00
Total Cost (Purchase + Rehab) $ 247,300.00
MINIMUM Down Payment Required for Purchase $ 8,655.50
Conventional Loan Amount (Total - Down payment) $ 238,644.50
FULL OCCUPANCY CASH FLOW
Est. Monthly Rent (using www.myrentrates.com) $ 2,800.00
1% Rule (Rent should be 1% of Purchase + Rehab) $ 2,473.00
Does this PASS the 1% Rule? YES
Est. Monthly Payment (PITI + PMI) - Mortg. Calculator $ 1,641.70
Est. Monthly OpEx (PITI + PMI + Utilities + Reserves) $ 2,598.70
Est. Monthly Cash flow (Rent - OpEx) $ 201.30
CoCRoI 27.9%
HOUSEHACKING CASH FLOW
Est. Monthly Rents $ 2,100.00
1% Rule $ 2,473.00
Does this PASS the 1% Rule? NO
Est. Monthly Payment $ 1,641.70
Est. Monthly OpEx $ 2,598.70
Est. Monthly Cash flow $ (358.70)
CoCRoI -49.7%

ASSUMPTIONS

Utilities (Varies by Property)
Electricity
Water & Sewer 225.00
Garbage 60.00
Shoveling/Lawn Care 140
Total $ 425.00
Reserves
Vacancy (%) 5.00% $ 140.00
Repairs & Maintenance (%) 7.00% $ 196.00
CapEx (%) 7.00% $ 196.00
Management Fees (%) $ -
Total $ 532.00

Successful househackers - would love to get your feedback.

1Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

@AJ Smith in a nut-shell I think your bananas to even consider this property anywhere near the numbers your talking. 

I need to preface this with the 411 that I did a LOT of deals in this area, for years. 

The area, tenant class, neighborhood class, none of it supports the kind of leverage your looking to do on this thing. 

Not long ago we were able to pick these up fo $50K all day long, and many passed at that time. It made sense on rents, but you needed a good team ready to manage these properties, tenants in this kind of area. Then as things went on and moved up people were players at $75k, then $100k, even $125k I can understand but $200k+ is complete insanity, total complete insanity. 

Do your homework on the area, there is 0% chance I would ever consider $100k per door in the area, even $75k would be a hard sell. 

There is a very long list of better places and ways to deploy $250k acquisition than on this lead balloon. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    First thing that jumped out at me was your estimated rent went from 2800 fully occupied to 2100 when house hacking. Looks like a 2/1 on each side. How'd you get that number? I also think 1400 a side might be high even if it's fully updated.

  • Realtor · Bloomington MN (bloomington, mn) · Member since 2016 · 451 posts · 263 votes
    6y

    @AJ Smith first off your rent estimates are high. In that area a 2 bed duplex is lucky to get 1,100/ month. Water and Sewer seems high to me as does shoveling/lawn care. In that area I would say crime is a little more than medium as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2018 · 153 posts · 75 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Anshus:

    @AJ Smith first off your rent estimates are high. In that area a 2 bed duplex is lucky to get 1,100/ month. Water and Sewer seems high to me as does shoveling/lawn care. In that area I would say crime is a little more than medium as well.

    Appreciate the feedback Daniel. Hoping you can give me some tips to up my game.

    Rent: I get my rent estimates from MyRentRates.com (ran out of Rentometer tries). Where would you go for Rent Data instead for an area?

    Crime: I get my crime estimates from Trulia.com. Where do you recommend going to get better estimates?

    Shoveling/Lawn Care: I estimate $140/mth based on an estimate from my realtor who has househacked in St. Paul several times. What have you found it to be in your experience?

    Water/Sewer: I based this number off of the reported Water/Sewer expense listed on the MLS listing. Have you found these to be inaccurate, and if so, what would you use as a rule of thumb?

  • Realtor · Bloomington MN (bloomington, mn) · Member since 2016 · 451 posts · 263 votes
    6y

    Rent:  BP has released a rental calculator. Facebook marketplace, zillow, speaking with local investors. (If you have an agent they should be doing all this)

    Crime:  Type in Minneapolis mn . gov annd look at the crime map there

    Shoveling/lawn care: I have typically seen $100/Month but if you are househacking do it yourself.

    Water/Sewer: Minneapolis and Saint Paul are totally different price points. I have heard from other investors in Minneapolis that for duplex it can run $80-$120 can be more depending on leaks and # of people in the buildinng.


  • Real Estate Agent · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @AJ Smith I’m curious how you arrived at 27.9 CoCRoi? I ask because I don’t think it’s accurate. I’ll explain. 201x12= $2412- ok but total cash in looks like 46k (down payment + rehab). Should be 2412/46,000 = 5%

    I think when most ppl house hack with a low down payment it’s hard to cash flow, which is fine bc I think the value is in lowering your cost of living while getting experience. However, you should look to cash flow when not living/house hacking it. 

    Finally, I can’t seem to find this property. If you want to discuss more details I’m happy to help. There’s much more that could be covered. 

    Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2018 · 153 posts · 75 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Bryan Tinajero:

    @AJ Smith I’m curious how you arrived at 27.9 CoCRoi? I ask because I don’t think it’s accurate. I’ll explain. 201x12= $2412- ok but total cash in looks like 46k (down payment + rehab). Should be 2412/46,000 = 5%

    I think when most ppl house hack with a low down payment it’s hard to cash flow, which is fine bc I think the value is in lowering your cost of living while getting experience. However, you should look to cash flow when not living/house hacking it. 

    Finally, I can’t seem to find this property. If you want to discuss more details I’m happy to help. There’s much more that could be covered. 

    Good luck!

    I appreciate the feedback Bryan. Looking forward to any tips you might have. Perhaps I can shed some light on a few parts of my analysis.

    I'm wrapping the rehab costs into the Loan amount through the FHA 203k loan (3.5% down). My cash in is therefore limited to my downpayment, hence the 27.9% CoCRoI.

    I found the property through the MLS search my realtor set up for me. Also was able to find the same listing via Zillow if you put the address in the search bar.

    AJ

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    @AJ Smith a quick tip for rent data I like to use is by going on Craigslist and looking at the map view for “housing/rent” to get an idea what rents are near the property. Of course it is just an estimate, best thing is just to call a local property manager. 

    Cheers!

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @AJ Smith in a nut-shell I think your bananas to even consider this property anywhere near the numbers your talking. 

    I need to preface this with the 411 that I did a LOT of deals in this area, for years. 

    The area, tenant class, neighborhood class, none of it supports the kind of leverage your looking to do on this thing. 

    Not long ago we were able to pick these up fo $50K all day long, and many passed at that time. It made sense on rents, but you needed a good team ready to manage these properties, tenants in this kind of area. Then as things went on and moved up people were players at $75k, then $100k, even $125k I can understand but $200k+ is complete insanity, total complete insanity. 

    Do your homework on the area, there is 0% chance I would ever consider $100k per door in the area, even $75k would be a hard sell. 

    There is a very long list of better places and ways to deploy $250k acquisition than on this lead balloon. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2018 · 153 posts · 75 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @James Hamling:

    @AJ Smith in a nut-shell I think your bananas to even consider this property anywhere near the numbers your talking. 

    I need to preface this with the 411 that I did a LOT of deals in this area, for years. 

    The area, tenant class, neighborhood class, none of it supports the kind of leverage your looking to do on this thing. 

    Not long ago we were able to pick these up fo $50K all day long, and many passed at that time. It made sense on rents, but you needed a good team ready to manage these properties, tenants in this kind of area. Then as things went on and moved up people were players at $75k, then $100k, even $125k I can understand but $200k+ is complete insanity, total complete insanity. 

    Do your homework on the area, there is 0% chance I would ever consider $100k per door in the area, even $75k would be a hard sell. 

    There is a very long list of better places and ways to deploy $250k acquisition than on this lead balloon. 

    Thanks for the thorough feedback James.

    I'm hearing from you that this property is very overpriced for this neighborhood, and the amount of leverage I'm proposing to have on this property would find me quickly underwater on my mortgage when the housing prices finally rebalance.

    Is that what you were meaning to say by your post?

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @AJ Smith:
    Originally posted by @James Hamling:

    @AJ Smith in a nut-shell I think your bananas to even consider this property anywhere near the numbers your talking. 

    I need to preface this with the 411 that I did a LOT of deals in this area, for years. 

    The area, tenant class, neighborhood class, none of it supports the kind of leverage your looking to do on this thing. 

    Not long ago we were able to pick these up fo $50K all day long, and many passed at that time. It made sense on rents, but you needed a good team ready to manage these properties, tenants in this kind of area. Then as things went on and moved up people were players at $75k, then $100k, even $125k I can understand but $200k+ is complete insanity, total complete insanity. 

    Do your homework on the area, there is 0% chance I would ever consider $100k per door in the area, even $75k would be a hard sell. 

    There is a very long list of better places and ways to deploy $250k acquisition than on this lead balloon. 

    Thanks for the thorough feedback James.

    I'm hearing from you that this property is very overpriced for this neighborhood, and the amount of leverage I'm proposing to have on this property would find me quickly underwater on my mortgage when the housing prices finally rebalance.

    Is that what you were meaning to say by your post?

    What I am saying is not all areas are equal. This area for a looong time was referred to as "The War Zone", not "A" but "The". Yes, areas can improve, still the point is this is a C class area at best, there will be tenant issues, the area could easily become a D- are again very rapidly. Your leverage point is over the top intense, what reserves do you have if the area declines, again, and rents drop 20%? If tenants tear the place apart and in that area I have had some epic stories of tenant damage, floor joists busted and walls falling down epic. 

    Your leveraging the deal as if it's a B+ area with strong appreciation, where nurses and firefighters are your tenants, nothing could be farther from that in this areas case. You may have tenants who get raided by DEA, it happens in this area. You may take a drive of the area to check on property and pass an armoured swat van a few blocks away, I have in the area. 

    Does it mean everyone and all the area is horrible, of course not, but your looking into one of the highest risk pools there is with insane amounts of leveraged funds, little to zero spread. Your doing Minnetonka/ Plymouth/ MapleGrove numbers in North Minneapolis Broadway area. 

    You need to get an acquisition agent or consultant because that is an epically horrible bad buy, on a scale of 1-10 of bad buys this is a 20. Yeah, that bad. 

    You need a person who knows the market and properties to help safeguard you from such mistakes because on this one listed I don't know how you can survive it. Again, like I said, when we were picking these up for under $50k, the banks literally gave us lists and said "please, take anything you want, shoot us any price, even $500.00, anything", even then most people were not buying them. Your near the edge of the improved area, but us local pro's know in the snap of a finger it could go right back to that, and would never get into such a leveraged deal in that area. 

    You gotta know the area your investing into, it matters a hell of a lot. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2018 · 153 posts · 75 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @James Hamling:
    Originally posted by @AJ Smith:
    Originally posted by @James Hamling:

    @AJ Smith in a nut-shell I think your bananas to even consider this property anywhere near the numbers your talking. 

    I need to preface this with the 411 that I did a LOT of deals in this area, for years. 

    The area, tenant class, neighborhood class, none of it supports the kind of leverage your looking to do on this thing. 

    Not long ago we were able to pick these up fo $50K all day long, and many passed at that time. It made sense on rents, but you needed a good team ready to manage these properties, tenants in this kind of area. Then as things went on and moved up people were players at $75k, then $100k, even $125k I can understand but $200k+ is complete insanity, total complete insanity. 

    Do your homework on the area, there is 0% chance I would ever consider $100k per door in the area, even $75k would be a hard sell. 

    There is a very long list of better places and ways to deploy $250k acquisition than on this lead balloon. 

    Thanks for the thorough feedback James.

    I'm hearing from you that this property is very overpriced for this neighborhood, and the amount of leverage I'm proposing to have on this property would find me quickly underwater on my mortgage when the housing prices finally rebalance.

    Is that what you were meaning to say by your post?

    What I am saying is not all areas are equal. This area for a looong time was referred to as "The War Zone", not "A" but "The". Yes, areas can improve, still the point is this is a C class area at best, there will be tenant issues, the area could easily become a D- are again very rapidly. Your leverage point is over the top intense, what reserves do you have if the area declines, again, and rents drop 20%? If tenants tear the place apart and in that area I have had some epic stories of tenant damage, floor joists busted and walls falling down epic. 

    Your leveraging the deal as if it's a B+ area with strong appreciation, where nurses and firefighters are your tenants, nothing could be farther from that in this areas case. You may have tenants who get raided by DEA, it happens in this area. You may take a drive of the area to check on property and pass an armoured swat van a few blocks away, I have in the area. 

    Does it mean everyone and all the area is horrible, of course not, but your looking into one of the highest risk pools there is with insane amounts of leveraged funds, little to zero spread. Your doing Minnetonka/ Plymouth/ MapleGrove numbers in North Minneapolis Broadway area. 

    You need to get an acquisition agent or consultant because that is an epically horrible bad buy, on a scale of 1-10 of bad buys this is a 20. Yeah, that bad. 

    You need a person who knows the market and properties to help safeguard you from such mistakes because on this one listed I don't know how you can survive it. Again, like I said, when we were picking these up for under $50k, the banks literally gave us lists and said "please, take anything you want, shoot us any price, even $500.00, anything", even then most people were not buying them. Your near the edge of the improved area, but us local pro's know in the snap of a finger it could go right back to that, and would never get into such a leveraged deal in that area. 

    You gotta know the area your investing into, it matters a hell of a lot. 

    Avoid North Minneapolis like the plague, focus buying in B+ neighborhoods like Plymouth, Minnetonka, and Maple Grove.

    Thanks!

    I'm just running analyses at this point, still a year out from buying and wanna improve my analysis skills. Thanks for the local-low-down, I appreciate you steering me clear of "The WarZone."

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @AJ Smith:
    Originally posted by @James Hamling:
    Originally posted by @AJ Smith:
    Originally posted by @James Hamling:

    @AJ Smith in a nut-shell I think your bananas to even consider this property anywhere near the numbers your talking. 

    I need to preface this with the 411 that I did a LOT of deals in this area, for years. 

    The area, tenant class, neighborhood class, none of it supports the kind of leverage your looking to do on this thing. 

    Not long ago we were able to pick these up fo $50K all day long, and many passed at that time. It made sense on rents, but you needed a good team ready to manage these properties, tenants in this kind of area. Then as things went on and moved up people were players at $75k, then $100k, even $125k I can understand but $200k+ is complete insanity, total complete insanity. 

    Do your homework on the area, there is 0% chance I would ever consider $100k per door in the area, even $75k would be a hard sell. 

    There is a very long list of better places and ways to deploy $250k acquisition than on this lead balloon. 

    Thanks for the thorough feedback James.

    I'm hearing from you that this property is very overpriced for this neighborhood, and the amount of leverage I'm proposing to have on this property would find me quickly underwater on my mortgage when the housing prices finally rebalance.

    Is that what you were meaning to say by your post?

    What I am saying is not all areas are equal. This area for a looong time was referred to as "The War Zone", not "A" but "The". Yes, areas can improve, still the point is this is a C class area at best, there will be tenant issues, the area could easily become a D- are again very rapidly. Your leverage point is over the top intense, what reserves do you have if the area declines, again, and rents drop 20%? If tenants tear the place apart and in that area I have had some epic stories of tenant damage, floor joists busted and walls falling down epic. 

    Your leveraging the deal as if it's a B+ area with strong appreciation, where nurses and firefighters are your tenants, nothing could be farther from that in this areas case. You may have tenants who get raided by DEA, it happens in this area. You may take a drive of the area to check on property and pass an armoured swat van a few blocks away, I have in the area. 

    Does it mean everyone and all the area is horrible, of course not, but your looking into one of the highest risk pools there is with insane amounts of leveraged funds, little to zero spread. Your doing Minnetonka/ Plymouth/ MapleGrove numbers in North Minneapolis Broadway area. 

    You need to get an acquisition agent or consultant because that is an epically horrible bad buy, on a scale of 1-10 of bad buys this is a 20. Yeah, that bad. 

    You need a person who knows the market and properties to help safeguard you from such mistakes because on this one listed I don't know how you can survive it. Again, like I said, when we were picking these up for under $50k, the banks literally gave us lists and said "please, take anything you want, shoot us any price, even $500.00, anything", even then most people were not buying them. Your near the edge of the improved area, but us local pro's know in the snap of a finger it could go right back to that, and would never get into such a leveraged deal in that area. 

    You gotta know the area your investing into, it matters a hell of a lot. 

    Avoid North Minneapolis like the plague, focus buying in B+ neighborhoods like Plymouth, Minnetonka, and Maple Grove.

    Thanks!

    I'm just running analyses at this point, still a year out from buying and wanna improve my analysis skills. Thanks for the local-low-down, I appreciate you steering me clear of "The WarZone."

    No no no, you're missing the point. 

    in 1 simple sentence know the deal. That means know the property, know the neighborhood, know the market, know what it is, what it isn't, what strategies will work and what one's won't. 

    Name the city, any city, and there will be looser property deals, especially when bought way overvalue and leveraged to the 9's. And other side of that coin, there is winner deals in every city. What makes the difference, knowledge. 

    You clearly don't know these markets and areas, so do the smart thing and hire a person who does. That is the take away. Be the best, or hire the best. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.