Trying to make the best decision on a home run deal

Trying to make the best decision on a home run deal

Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 22 votes

Looking for some opinions about what you would do if you were in my shoes.  Here's a little bit of info about me:

25 years old with 21 doors, a live in flip, and 2 other flips going with a partner with no debt.  Base income from a 20 hr per week job of 25k per year.  $50k last year from rentals, 67k from flips.  I'm currently burning about $50-55k per year to take care of my family.  My short term goal is to leave my highly stressful inner city Property Management Maintenance job.  My long term goal is to take my net worth from 1-10m as quickly as possible.  I am closing on 4 deals this month, one a hotail, one flip, one 6 family hold, and lastly this deal that I'm not sure what to do with.

The property: 1319 Michigan Ave South Milwaukee Wisconsin

Purchase Price: $14500 + CC of $1000

Rehab: $45000 or less

ARV: $150k

Potential Capital Gain: $82500.00

Rent Potential: $1400-1500

Taxes (assessment $41k) $1200 which after reassessment will most likely be closer to $3000

Tenants will pay all utilities and water bill.

Maintenance/Capex/Self Mgmt: $400

I will have this property paid off free and clear currently and can most likely pull off the rehab without drawing to much from my line of credit. The way I'm thinking is that at my 32% tax bracket flipping this house will be fairly painful tax wise whereas if I put some debt on it and held it for a year then I could 1031 out of it. I can get a bank to lend me 75% of ARV right now for 5.25 on a 5/1 arm on a 25 am.

On the one hand I think about just keeping it paid off and having a nice cashflow source to help me leave my job but I also want to have a significantly higher net worth than where I'm at now and I believe that the way to do that is trading up to larger projects or venturing into a non rei based business with my partner.

What would you do in my shoes?

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 5 votes
6y

You mention that your current job is highly stressful. If you use this property as cashflow and leave your job sooner, what could you do with way less stress to deal with? Would it let you spend more time looking for more home run deals? Would you be able to spend more time with your family? These are just some factors to think about. You could always 1031 it into a larger project that also cashflows well somewhere down the road

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    You mention that your current job is highly stressful. If you use this property as cashflow and leave your job sooner, what could you do with way less stress to deal with? Would it let you spend more time looking for more home run deals? Would you be able to spend more time with your family? These are just some factors to think about. You could always 1031 it into a larger project that also cashflows well somewhere down the road

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Jordan P., You're right.  Flipping that house will be painful.  And the numbers aren't so bad as a rental.  I'd explore doing an immediate refi to get some working capital back out and find the next deal now.  Then rent that property for a bit and then 1031 it.  Having debt on the property won't hurt it as long as you can get debt that won't hurt your cash flow too much.  But the refi right now gives you the cash so you can keep your engine running full speed.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Colin Merrill, accidentally forgot to tag you.  You're right. Flipping that house will be painful. And the numbers aren't so bad as a rental. I'd explore doing an immediate refi to get some working capital back out and find the next deal now. Then rent that property for a bit and then 1031 it. Having debt on the property won't hurt it as long as you can get debt that won't hurt your cash flow too much. But the refi right now gives you the cash so you can keep your engine running full speed.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Jordan P. Those are good points but if I mortgage it and take 80k out it will only cashflow around $200/mo while leaving 70k equity in the deal.  I could cash out more but then it won't cashflow at all.  Between this deal and the few others this month I'll end up with a total rental cashflow this year of around 70k which isn't bad and will cover my living expenses.  I would definitely be able to spend more time with the family and be a happier person over all, and yeah even with taking out 80k that would be enough to keep rolling into more deals.  Good points.  I'm going to call your shop for cabinets for this particular deal today!

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Dave Foster True, I do have financing lined up but it's somewhat expensive.  5.25% on a 5/1 25 am.  But yeah being able to exit it in a year or 2 to something larger with a later capital gain would be optimal.  Thank you for the advice!

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Colin Merrill, that's when you do a quick comparison of the extra interest from the higher cost financing vs paying the tax bill now.  2 points on 100K is just 2,000 extra dollars (actually less since you can write it off).  But the gain you defer by paying that extra for a bit could be huge.  Good thoughts!!

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.