SFR or possible Live-In Flip short sale conundrum

SFR or possible Live-In Flip short sale conundrum

New to Real Estate · Port Washington, WI · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 14 votes

I am looking at some insight on why a property in my local area is not selling. 

Here are the basics:

Listed at $99,900 3 bed/ 2 bath 1,418 Sq/Ft. Listed for 80+ days

Description says "property is subject to short sale"

Location is great, Just a short walk from a major bike trail, a touristy downtown, and some Lake Michigan Parks.

All other homes value at around 200K+ in the same neighborhood ( per Zillow, I understand this is not an accurate number to put money on) even those that do not look in the best condition (there is some prior sale history on some of the houses). 

Haven't had a chance to tour due to COVID but from the pictures it appears it primarily needs cosmetic work. I am new to Real estate but I feel like even if you spent 30K plus on rehab, and after closing costs and all other fixed fees, I feel like you still come out ahead property value wise/ renting. 

So the question is why would a house like this sit on the market for so long with how fast houses have been selling? Does it have to do with the short sale and all the headaches/ red tape that comes with it? Or is it a sign that there is a bigger issue somewhere that an experienced buyer saw that rendered the property not worth it? Possibly have to bring all cash to the table/not able to do FHA loan?

Any information would be helpful. I feel like I am missing something but I am not sure what it is. 

0Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I'm not a short-sale expert, but if it's not a bank-approved price, it can take months for that process, bank likely wouldn't approve that low price if it's worth so much more, and it usually remains active on the market during that time.   

  • Real Estate Broker · MI · Member since 2014 · 594 posts · 183 votes
    6y

    Hi @Adam Chmielewski, welcome to BP! @Lynn McGeein has a great answer, but the truth be told it's probably more than one reason. I have purchased short sales and processed short sales. The most important player to a short sale is the actual Borrower/The Person That Defaulted. It's an emotional roller coaster for the Borrower. Trying to keep a positive mindset and keeping them proactive is a real challenge. There is a lot, and I mean a lot of paperwork, a lot of meetings, and a lot of back and forth with the Bank(s) because sometimes there is more than one bank involved, which is typical. Again, the Borrower can be challenged because he/she can't find relevant documents that leave me to investigate a rabbit hole that may lead to another rabbit hole, which means I have to connect the dots logically in hopes that when I present those documents, it makes sense, if not I have to start all over again. 

    Short Sales SUCK and take a lot of time. I'm getting grumpy, just talking about it. Anyway, the slow-up could also be that there is an incompetent Realtor/Broker behind the wheel trying to be the hero. 

    Short Sales have been very good to me but I only select the ones that make it worth my while. Therefore, I don't mind doing them. One of the greatest investments in my earlier career was buying a short sale. I bought it for 200K and within 6 months we closed on it and when I went to get it insured it appraised for $410K. To this day I don't know why the bank let it go and I don't care.

    I hope this helps. BTW, I suggest that you talk to the neighbors and ask them about the owner of the house. Neighbors like to talk. 

    Best of luck to you!

  • New to Real Estate · Port Washington, WI · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the info! I had the feeling that was the case and that makes a lot of sense. The length of time on the market definitely supports that Scott. Is it wise to stay away from short sales early on in investing, or is it all about finding the right person?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.