I would like to get feedback on my rental property analysis

I would like to get feedback on my rental property analysis

Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 9 votes

I am interested in a 4-plex in Houston,TX. The property is listing from a wholesaler for $133,500. CAD appraises it at $179,000 and it has gone up from $135,000 in 2010. Wholesaler says it needs $16,000 in repairs. I've visited the property and it appears to be cosmetic (stained carpets, dirty toilets, sinks, tubs, paint), however I am taking the $16k with a grain of salt. I am going to visit the property with a contractor to verify the number. Below is my analysis.

Property Taxes:2.693%
Property Management:8%
Insurance:0.86%
Vacancy: 8.7%

These are the expenses I've considered
Maintenance (15%)=$372
Insurance=$96
Property MGMT=$199
Property Taxes:$300
Miscellaneous=$100
Vacancy=$216
Debt Service=$725 ($135,000 30 year loan at 5%)
No HOA Fees
Total Expenses:$2100

After all the math, I get:

GOI=$2480
NOI=$1198
CFBT=$473 (Cash flow before corporate/personal taxes)
[b]CFAT=$220 (Cash flow after corporate/personal taxes)

Cap Rate=10.8%
COC=5% Cash on Cash Return

I am positive cash flow $200. However, rentometer shows that the average rent in the area is $730. If I can rent for $700, then cashflow greatly improves and COC is 10%.

Are there any expenses that I've failed to include? Is there a key financial metric that I haven't calculated? I greatly appreciate any feedback.

0Reply
9 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Would you pay any utilities such as water/sewer, garbage, or common area electricity?

  • Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    No, I don't anticipate to. The electric meters were all split up for each unit so the tenants will take care of that. I couldn't really find any info on who pays the garbage/sewer/water bills, but I am making the assumption that I will, which is covered by the Miscellaneous expense.

  • Real Estate Investor · Washington , Washington D.C. · Member since 2013 · 117 posts · 51 votes
    13y

    I'm learning to evaluate properties for purchase and I apply a number of tests to see if the sale is a good deal.

    The first test I use is the 70% rule. If the prop doesn't pass this first test, I pass. Using this rule, and assuming the wholesaler's figure should be closer to 20K, you should be paying a max of $105K for the property. I'd either negotiate a lower sales price, or pass.

    I then use the 50% rule. It looks like your monthly expenses exceed 50% by $325, leaving you with just $25 monthly cash flow (I assume you plan to occupy one of the units). Assuming your expenses figures are accurate, they look to be a bit too high to make this property work.

    Again, I'm new to this, but that's my $.02.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.