1st duplex in STL, MO - OOS Investor from Los Angeles

1st duplex in STL, MO - OOS Investor from Los Angeles

Alex BekezaBusiness Member
Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment in Saint Louis.

Purchase price: $89,000
Cash invested: $89,000

2020 was certainly one "helluva year" and it was the year I bought my first investment property!

This is a duplex in the Carondelet Park area of Saint Louis, Missouri.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I've been a Loan Officer specializing in commercial and portfolio financing for about 3 years. I've financed dozens of BRRRR deals, Flips, and Multifamily Apartment Buildings all over the US. That being said, I've had my eyes on some mid west cash flow for quite some time.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

This thing fell from the heavens straight into my lap. The seller is one of my favorite clients, a LA resident like me but a native of STL, and just a top-notch dude in general. Long story short, the seller faced a ballooning note which became days away allowing me to structure a win-win scenario where I would close cash right away and offer the balance owed + realtor fee/closing costs.

How did you finance this deal?

I paid all cash which was the entire reason I was able to get the deal and close within 10 days.

Unfortunately, "Fannie Mae Delayed Financing Exception" was not an option because the costs/fees associated would be too high to qualify as QM. I'll allow this to season six months and then cash out at 75% LTV and leave little to no cash in the deal.

Purchased for $89,000 all cash. As Is appraised value estimated $120,000. Future cash out refi loan will be about $90,000.

How did you add value to the deal?

I was actually the LO who originated the purchase loan for the seller. Therefore, I have the full scope of work and he renovated the place from head to toe. I only have to do some minor touches here and there and eventually remodel the "sun rooms" which are an awesome little feature that could get updated once units become vacant.

Rents are currently - $1,025 ($525 + $500)
Property Manager = 9%
Taxes/Insurance = $184 per month

What was the outcome?

I'm in the landlord club and ended the spell of analysis paralysis!

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I learned a lot of little things about STL and mostly how to leverage referrals from people you trust.

I learned more about Opportunity Zones by complete accident!  I liquidated my stocks to purchase this property and looks like I will now pay no capital gains tax on those stocks because I bought this property in an opportunity zone using those proceeds. 

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Moe from Title Premier, Realtor Tammy Derrigan, my STL investing mentor Bennie, and Property Manager Alann from Provident PM have all been rock stars!

3Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · San Pedro, CA · Member since 2016 · 206 posts · 89 votes
6y

@Alex Bekeza congrats man! Feels good getting the first one locked down, doesn't it?

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Springfield, MO · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Congrats and good luck! I grew up around the STL area and though I am now located 3 hours away, I am constantly looking over properties in the area as there is always a deal to be had! In the current market it can sometimes be hard to find anything that will beat the basic 1% rule let alone something around your projected cash flow! 

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Kristofer Soltys Thank you sir! Yes, I feel very lucky to have been in the right place at the right time.  This is definitely going to be a higher cap rate than the market average which gives me the freedom to hire a great PM, keep strong reserves, etc. 

    STL has some fascinating opportunities.  I hope to actually get out there in person soon.  

  • Real Estate Broker · San Pedro, CA · Member since 2016 · 206 posts · 89 votes
    6y

    @Alex Bekeza congrats man! Feels good getting the first one locked down, doesn't it?

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Charles Cooper I'm "Ric Flair Woo" level gassed up about it! 

  • Kristopher KyzarBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2017 · 260 posts · 174 votes
    6y

    @Alex Bekeza Great job breaking your analysis paralysis, and you did it long distance to boot.  It's a fantastic feeling getting started.  Just need to keep the steam going now.

  • Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Alex Bekeza.

    Congratulations on your first deal!! Making the first step is the hardest!

    I’m from Saint Louis and looking for my first multifamily househack! I definitely recognize that property and it’s amazing to have an arsons story to go with it! (Hopefully I’m posting my own story soon!)

    Saint Louis is a great market and I’m glad to have you as an investor in the area!

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Alex Bekeza

    I use Tammy as well she is amazing! I have a bunch over in Carondelet

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Lyndsey Whiteaker Nice!  Yes, I'm definitely going to work with her again soon. She's top notch. She really went above and beyond. 

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    Great deal. Congratulations on this investment property. 

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Account Closed Thanks! Good luck on your house hack.  I hope to do nothing but add value to the neighborhoods I invest in.  I've also noticed that a lot of the multis would sell at their highest point if sold to house hackers.  Apparently this seller received a few offers above asking but only if one of the units could have been delivered vacant for the buyer to live in.  One could possibly make a flipping strategy on these of renovating, leasing all but one unit, and selling. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Oh man that is amazing! My husband and I are native to STL and we were literally looking in the city for 4plex. That property looks familiar however, great cash cows! If you are thinking about doing more investments there let me know... We would love to partner for a bigger project. 

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Kristopher Kyzar Thank you and absolutely.  I agree you must keep the momentum!

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Lauren Davis Thank you, I definitely plan on dropping roots in STL partially because I think repeating processes in the same city can really help an investor hone in on their numbers and better determine which deals make sense.  Not to mention already having connections with vendors, PMs, realtors, etc. 

    I had been the lender on many deals with the same title company and realtor so it was really cool to all be working on one together for myself. 

    Feel free to reach out anytime. 

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Marlen Weber thank you, much appreciated!

  • Lender · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 38 votes
    6y

    Congrats @Alex Bekeza.  I'm currently doing my first flip in Creve Couer and am about to pull the trigger on a duplex in the Southampton neighborhood. That one just needs a ton of work and I keep 2nd guessing if I'm making the right decision.  Nice job on your deal!

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    My pleasure.

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Mark Johnson Thank you!  I'm excited to hopefully get out there in November and drive through as many neighborhoods as I can. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Great job man! Once you start cash flowing you’ll be hooked on buy and holds. Seeing your bank account grow by virtually doing nothing is addicting lol. 

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Michelle Costello Thanks!  Trying to get up to your level over here!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Glendora, CA · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Alex Bekeza Always nice seeing a local Californian take the leap in out of state investing. Congrats Alex! I'm thinking of taking action in St. Louis. For a cash-flow play it seems like a great move. I'm beginning to cultivate relationships with local experts. The GC company I work for is working at St. Alexius hospital for the next few years so I thought it would make sense to look at a few properties since I will be visiting the site a every other month. Have you narrowed down an area for your next investment? When looking at listings, prices sway in all different directions. It seems a bit challenging to get a good pulse in the area. 

    Best,

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Brandon Carlson Thanks! I'm mainly dialed into the Carondelet Park, Dutchtown, and Holly Hills areas with some flexibility based on PM and realtor recommendations. These towns seem to me to offer a nice sweet spot between potential cap rates and tenant quality. Hoping to snag #2 in Q1 2021. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Glendora, CA · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Alex Bekeza thank you for directing me to some sweet spots. Are you working with a realtor yet for your second property?

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    OP
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Brandon Carlson Tammy Derrigan from Realty Exchange is great. 

  • Investor · MO · Member since 2013 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Alex Bekeza Congrats on the purchase. I predominately invest in the STL area. I am happy to connect any time and discuss ideas. Best of luck on your journey

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    Congratulations @Alex Bekeza ! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.