Fix & Flip in Warren, MI with 49.33% ROI in 4 months!

Fix & Flip in Warren, MI with 49.33% ROI in 4 months!

Real Estate Broker · Warren, MI · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 6 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence fix & flip investment.

Purchase price: $28,000
Cash invested: $20,000
Sale price: $80,000

We purchased this property on 11/13/19 for $28,000 off-market.
Property details: 1,430 Sq. Ft. Vinyl Bungalow on Crawl. No Garage. 3 Bed 1 Bath.

Rehab took a month.

Property closed on 3/13/20 without any concessions.
After paying all the closing and holding costs, we netted $23,682 (49.33% ROI!) in just over 4 months :-)

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I am a local Michigan Real Estate Broker with many years of experience in property management, construction management and everything real estate. I know this area very well and I knew a large bungalow like this will sell like a hot cake to first time home buyers, especially because we would be able to convert it into a 4bd/1.1ba from a 3bd/1ba.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

It was a distressed home off-market. My team initially got in contact with the seller while driving for dollars. The seller was an elderly disabled man with no help in and around the home. We promised him that he wouldn't have to put a cent on the house, no closing costs and we would buy the house as-is with everything inside it. The rest was easy once we were able to pin on his pain point.

How did you finance this deal?

All cash, total investment was ~$49,000 ($28K purchase, $20K rehab and $1K closing costs).

How did you add value to the deal?

1. converted this 3bd/2ba into a 4bd/1.1ba by dividing a large bedroom into two and converting a large walk-in closet into a half bathroom.
2. changed flooring to basic home depot grey laminate
3. Painted entire home grey and white trims
3. Painted the kitchen cabinets to white and changed the counter top to a matching laminate top.
4. upgraded the light fixtures
5. Ceramic tiling, basic HD grey vanity, new light fixtures in the
6. painted exterior trims and deck.

What was the outcome?

$23,682 net profit (49.33% ROI) in just over 4 months :-)

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Holding cost was little higher than expected due to brutal winter in Michigan and high energy cost. I would estimate more for snow removal, gas bill etc.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

We listed the property through our brokerage Amin Realty for $84,900 on 01/08/20.
Within 2 weeks (despite of winter), we had an in-house from one of our first time home buyer clients for $80,000.
We decided to accept the offer because it was a) conventional mortgage b) 20% down and c) we didn't have to wait 120 days for the FHA guidelines.

1Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Southeast Michigan · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 12 votes
5y

@Sam Amin thanks for sharing another local story - congrats that it ended well, but sounds like a lot of challenges along the way. Glad you have a solid team to overcome the hurdles!

I am new to REI, but very motivated and eager to learn and network as much as possible! My goal is generating cash flow via MI investments, likely buy and hold SFH or MFH. The biggest challenge I am experiencing is finding deals with enough cash flow - seller's market.

I am open to any help...

Lisa

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 300 posts · 417 votes
    5y

    Great work, and fantastic ROI. Congrats @Sam Amin!

  • Investor · Southeast Michigan · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Sam Amin, this is impressive - congrats!   I am also in Michigan, recently joined BP and posted in search of local success stories to understand how much potential there is here as few post about deals in MI. 

    I am encouraged by your success and hope to do the same again soon. Would love to connect!

  • Real Estate Broker · Warren, MI · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Account Closed Thank you Rachel! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Warren, MI · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Lisa Gould Glad you enjoyed the read! I am also new to BP :-) 
    Biggest challenge in Michigan (not sure of other markets because I haven't invested anywhere outside of MI, yet) is finding reliable contractors. I have a property management company as well which my wife operates, so sometimes I have no option but to borrow contractors from her but they are only good for small projects. They haven't been able to deliver on big jobs as per my expectation. E.g. the crew that finished the rehab on Alvina for me, did a phenomenal job. So I hired them again for another project (much larger) in Boston Edison Historic District. It was supposed to be a 2.5 months project but they took 6 months to finish 90% of it and then started ghosted me. Thankfully I have a project manager who was supervising them daily so we didn't end up overpaying them. But loss of time costed me more than loss of money. We had to get our property management contractors/handyman onboard to finish the project up. The quality was not as great as it should have been but we got lucky due to it being a seller's market and got under contract within 1 day of listing! I will share the story of that project once (fingers crossed!) the deal closes.


    Have you invested in any flip projects or rentals in Michigan?
    What areas? How has your experience been so far? 

  • Lender · Troy, MI · Member since 2019 · 432 posts · 147 votes
    5y

    Congratulations @Sam Amin

  • Investor · Southeast Michigan · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Sam Amin thanks for sharing another local story - congrats that it ended well, but sounds like a lot of challenges along the way. Glad you have a solid team to overcome the hurdles!

    I am new to REI, but very motivated and eager to learn and network as much as possible! My goal is generating cash flow via MI investments, likely buy and hold SFH or MFH. The biggest challenge I am experiencing is finding deals with enough cash flow - seller's market.

    I am open to any help...

    Lisa

  • Jacksonville · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @sam amin sorry to hear about the bad contractors. Try using Mike & Mike Custom Carpentry really good and reliable! PM for number if your interested.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.