1st Out of State BRRRR Property

1st Out of State BRRRR Property

Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 107 votes

Hi Everyone! I am getting close to my first completed deal, so I thought I would post some details here to share my story.
After lurking on the forums here for about a year I finally decided to start taking some action and putting my name out there. I am currently living in Austin, TX investing in SFH rentals in Birmingham, AL. I received a call from a wholesaler one day, I guess I had submitted a form on their website to add me to their list. Anyways, I explained to him what I was trying to do and told him the parts of town i was looking at. I had just taken out a HELOC on my primary residence and had $$ available to spend. He called me about an hour later and told me about a property he was about to send out to his list. It was just what I was looking for and in the right part of town too. I had recently had a call with a realtor in the area and I paid him to go take a look at the property and to give me a rundown of ARV and estimated rehab budget. I had run the numbers 20 different ways and they all seemed to work, but I was still worried. I was tired of being in the analysis paralysis phase so I decided to go under contract with the wholesaler a few days later, I figured worst case scenario I could sell it for a loss and learn a lesson. Over the next few weeks, I worked with my new property manager to help get bids and start the rehab. A month or so later it was on the market and then a month after that, a tenant was in place!

Here is how the numbers played out:
Purchase Price (cash from HELOC on primary residence) - $74,500
Rehab - $14,300
Holding Costs - $1,200
ALL IN COSTS - $90,000
Appraisal - $123,650
75% LTV Loan minus Closing Costs - $90,037

So after the 30 yr refi (conventional 30yr fannie/freddie rate term 3.37%), I have invested $0 of my own money in this property and its cash flowing $330/month.

Somehow my first BRRRR strategy worked out to the T and I have zero of my own money into this property which is awesome. I got a little excited and made 2 more acquisitions pretty quickly after this, so I am hoping those workout the same.

I would like to say I am 10000% confident I would not have had the courage to make a move like this without the kind souls on this forum. The contributors to this forum are truly willing to help others and I cant thank you enough for that. Everyone has helped me more than they know, and I am so excited to start this journey to help my family gain financial independence through real estate investing. Thank you SO much. 

12Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Windsor, CO · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 27 votes
5y

@David Chappell thank you so much for sharing your story! I am at the same cross roads with just taking ACTION and submitting offers. I need to just believe in the education that I have received on here and go for it! Like you said, if it doesn't go as planned then I will learn a lot of lessons but then I know how the process works from the beginning to the end and make the other buys a lot better!

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @David Chappell Congrats on your successful BRRRR deal! Living in Austin, it's always fun to see properties somewhere else that can sell below $100k. That same wholesale purchase in Austin would have a starting price of $250k to $350k!

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    Congratulations!

  • Real Estate Agent · Windsor, CO · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 27 votes
    5y

    @David Chappell thank you so much for sharing your story! I am at the same cross roads with just taking ACTION and submitting offers. I need to just believe in the education that I have received on here and go for it! Like you said, if it doesn't go as planned then I will learn a lot of lessons but then I know how the process works from the beginning to the end and make the other buys a lot better!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 107 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Kelly:

    @David Chappell Congrats on your successful BRRRR deal! Living in Austin, it's always fun to see properties somewhere else that can sell below $100k. That same wholesale purchase in Austin would have a starting price of $250k to $350k!

    Thanks Ryan! I definitely wish I could invest closer to home but our wonderfully expensive city makes that hard to do :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland - Raleigh · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 24 votes
    5y

    Awesome story. Thanks for that inspiration.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 107 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Melissa Harris:

    @David Chappell thank you so much for sharing your story! I am at the same cross roads with just taking ACTION and submitting offers. I need to just believe in the education that I have received on here and go for it! Like you said, if it doesn't go as planned then I will learn a lot of lessons but then I know how the process works from the beginning to the end and make the other buys a lot better!

    Yes! Massive Action :) It did make me feel better knowing that the worst case scenario would be me selling the property for a small loss bc I couldn't get it rented etc..so that made me feel a little better. It's always easy to say "just stop looking and take action" but I guess I just had the right motivation that day and it made every decision after that much easier to make. Best of luck!

  • Investor · Jersey City · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    Congrats on such your BRRRR. My wife and I are about a complete a BRRRR with a similar story to yours. I would love to know more about your criteria, experience with the wholesaler, and why you picked the location within the city.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Any time you can "BRRRR out" (or just about BRRRR out), it's a great deal. All the more so given it was out of state, which makes it substantially harder. Congrats David!

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    @David Chappell Congrats on your OOS BRRRR, whoot whoot!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 107 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jake Silverman:

    Congrats on such your BRRRR. My wife and I are about a complete a BRRRR with a similar story to yours. I would love to know more about your criteria, experience with the wholesaler, and why you picked the location within the city.

    Jake, I wasnt too picky with my criteria for the actual house itself just wanted something that would easily get rented. Something at least 2/1/750 sq ft in a good part of town that only needed cosmetic work. For the part of town I spent about 10 hours in Neighborhood Scout going through the micro neighborhoods in Birmingham. I made a google sheet with all of the metrics that I felt were important (crime rate, rent yield, vacancy, unemployment, schools, college education etc) I recorded the name of each micro neighborhood with all of the stats in the sheet and used that to decide. I then went on Google maps and drew custom borders around each neighborhood and colored it red/yellow/green. Thats pretty much what I use to filter out properties, I take a look at the map and then confirm with my PM that it's a good place to buy in and then we take it from there!

    For the wholesaler, it was a pretty good experience. He answered all my questions, met my PM out there to take a look at the property and was transparent through the whole process. He only missed the ARV by about $4k which I thought was pretty good, and the recommended reno budget he told me was spot on.

    Hope this helps!

  • New to Real Estate · Burke, VA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @David Chappell This is awesome, congrats! Hope you don’t mind if I PM you with a few questions around this. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 107 votes
    5y

    @Austin Wise go ahead!

  • Specialist · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    Hi David,

    This is a great share, thanks for sharing with the forums, super cool to read. It gives both perspective and also provides encouragement as I'm currently looking at 3-4 other deals in Birmingham too. 

    Thanks mate!

    Weeksy

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @David Chappell , way to go, congrats!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.