Living free and Cash flowing house-hack in Bay area

Living free and Cash flowing house-hack in Bay area

Investor · Hawaiian Gardens, CA · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 386 votes

Purchased 5bedroom/5bath 2400 sqft single family home in Hayward (foothills, near CSUEB), CA for 880k. Built in 1980s, but owner had deferred maintenance, and selling as-is. House is SFR, but has 2 1bedroom/1bath units that have separate entrances in the back with their own kitchen/living room. I put ~10k into the fixes to make it FHA compliant (Fire extinguishers, fire/c02 alarms, removing drywall that blocked the doors from "main house" to other units).

The 2 back units have inherited tenants renting at 1500$/month (slightly below market rent), the main house (3bd/3ba) was renting for 2700$, and the tenants had moved out so I could move in (per FHA guidelines). I re-painted the main house, added sound proofing to the drywall, refinished the bathrooms, added new light fixtures, and just finished converting the 2 car garage into its own unit, one of the bathrooms is downstairs near the garage door, so instead of adding a bathroom in the converted garage, I simply gave them that bathroom (cut down significantly in costs as well). The main house has a: living room, dining room, family room, kitchen, that I felt was a crazy amount of space for them. I put a door separating the main house and gave the garage unit the family room, making the garage unit a 2bedroom/1bathroom, main house a :3bedroom/2bathroom with living room, dining room, kitchen.

My wife likes all the space in the garage conversion and wants to move in there instead of the main house.

Numbers:

FHA mortgage impounded account (including property, taxes, insurance etc.) @ 2.65% - 4700$/mo

Utilities/internet - ~300$/month

Mortgage impound + utilities = ~5000$

Up unit in back - 1500$

down unit in back - 1500$

Main house: (finishing up furnishing main house, expecting) ~3000$/month for 3bedroom/2bath

all units = 1500$ + 1500$ + 3000$ (expected)= 6000$ - 5000$ = 1000$ cash flow (rough, not including maintenance, vacancies, etc.)

When my wife and I move out in a few years I expect the 2bed/1ba garage unit to rent for at least 2000$. Ill look to refinance and get out of PMI when possible, and should be able to get mortgage down to 4000$ as well.

I ordered a boxabl casita to put in the backyard that is supposed to arrive around end of year.

2Reply
71 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2018 · 655 posts · 900 votes
    5y

    @Derrick Dill

    Nice Derrick!

    Maybe you could do a separate post on the box unit including a break down in costs. All in costs s for that unit.

    I would be interested in that information.

    Thanks!

  • Real Estate Agent · Brooklyn & Queens · Member since 2020 · 49 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    What was your all in acquisition costs?

  • Investor · Hawaiian Gardens, CA · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 386 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nicolas Nuvan:

    What was your all in acquisition costs?

     60k down payment to acquire the property. 10k in repairs, 40k to convert the garage. 

    70k to get me in the property. 

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    do you like the contractors you used to do the work? 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    Nice @Derrick Dill ! Thanks for sharing!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.