Updated first deal in Baton Rouge, LA

Updated first deal in Baton Rouge, LA

Specialist · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 110 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment in Baton Rouge.

Purchase price: $83,754
Cash invested: $1

This was my first deal and we did a full cosmetic rehab, doing most of the work ourselves. It was a BRRRR, that we executed successfully, although it took us much longer than expected.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I love the idea of building sweat equity and investing in cash flow properties. Small multifamily makes a lot of sense to me, although it can be more difficult to manage. The process of finding something that is very ugly, but has good bones and turning it into something beautiful that can put money in your pocket for the rest of your life is appealing.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I found it through a direct mail campaign to absentee owners. I negotiated it for the payoff amount because the seller only had about two weeks before he would lose it to the bank and he wanted to save his credit.

How did you finance this deal?

I used private money for the original purchase, then used a mix of private money and me and my business partner's money to pay for the renovation materials.

How did you add value to the deal?

We did a massive renovation. New kitchens, bathrooms, paint, replaced 10 windows, 15 doors, all the outlets, stainless steel appliances, Lifeproof LVP in all carpeted areas, new HVAC in 3 units, vinyl siding, pressure wash, and refinished all the tubs.

What was the outcome?

We came in just over the repair budget of $77,000, with renovation costs of $79,235 and holding costs were higher than we anticipated, coming in at $8,935 (including insurance, taxes, and utilities). Our units rent for $850 per unit. All in we were at $172,015. The appraisal came in at $280,000, and at 75% LTV our cash out refinance was $210,000. Cash flow was $3400 in rents, less 1601 PITI, less 340 PM, less 476 Capex/repairs (14%), less 272 vacancy = $711 true cash flow with high reserves.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

We expected to be done in late September/ early October, but did not finish until January. The cash out refi took even longer since we couldn't complete that process until all units were filled. Then, there was a winter storm and our lender made us have a second appraisal to confirm condition, which took another month. Holding costs also were much higher than we expected, since the project took so long. Overall, it was a great project though and we had enough cushion to still do well.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I worked with Title2Land in Baton Rouge as my title company, @AlexBekeza was my mortgage broker (I found him on BP) and he did a great job, the issues were with the actual lender, and those were basically all the professionals we used.

5Reply
37 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Greater Lansing, MI · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am currently under contract for my first property, a fourplex. There is a lot to be learned, but I am thinking about my next step, which is BRRRR. Do you mind sharing more details about the financing part ?

  • Real Estate Investor · FL · Member since 2011 · 586 posts · 360 votes
    5y

    @Travis Steinemann Congratulations! 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Travis Steinemann seems to be nice investment, congratulations!

  • Specialist · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 110 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Braden C.:

    @Travis Steinemann Congratulations! 

    Forgot to give you a shoutout for the direct mail campaign! Thank you my friend! It came from your letters. 

  • Specialist · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 110 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lucas Rodrigues Ferro:

    Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am currently under contract for my first property, a fourplex. There is a lot to be learned, but I am thinking about my next step, which is BRRRR. Do you mind sharing more details about the financing part ?

    Hi Lucas, What would you like to hear about the financing? I couldn't find any local lenders willing to do a 30 year fixed on a fourplex so I looked for a lender on here and found Alex. I provided him a ton of documents, from tax returns to leases, to proof of rents, and bank account balances. I also had to provide him my LLC documents (articles of organization, FEIN document, Operating Agreement), which you wouldn't have to do if it is under your personal name.

     All units needed to be filled with valid leases, and we had to show proof of deposits and rent paid. 

    What other questions do you have? 

    Thanks,

    Travis

  • Specialist · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 110 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dmitriy Fomichenko:

    @Travis Steinemann seems to be nice investment, congratulations!

    Thank you Dmitriy, it should be a solid one for a long time. 

  • Accountant · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Congrats Travis. Really inspiring as I'm starting my real estate journey now. Thank you for sharing. Keep up the hard work!!!

  • Amy VergesBusiness Member
    Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2014 · 128 posts · 138 votes
    5y

    Congrats @Travis Steinemann!  Thanks for sharing--I always love seeing the numbers breakdown.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.