Does this 'cash' offer sound legit?

Does this 'cash' offer sound legit?

Investor · Brandywine, MD · Member since 2013 · 84 posts · 21 votes

I am selling my primary residence (fsbo), and instead of fixing it up myself I'm marketing it as-is to local investors (basically wholesaling my own house) becuase I am settling on my new house soon and don't want to extra work or expense right now. So far I've had a lot of intereset. Some low-ball offers, some just below what I owe, and one that will net me about $5K...And that's the one I find myself questioning. Here's why:

  1. Investor said she and partner are paying cash (not hard or private), but still want 30 days to close.
  2. They only want to put down $10 in EM, which I feel let's them walk from the deal REAL easy.
  3. Contract is contingent on inspection (even after walkthrough).
  4. Contract is contingent to (and I quote) "Buyer's Partner's approval".

What do you all think of this?

I'm new to REI and this will be my first sale. I would love this deal to go through but I'm seeing red flags. Am I imagining them, or should I trust my gut on this one?

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Fix & Flip, Wholetailing, · West Columbia, SC · Member since 2013 · 215 posts · 60 votes
13y
This is someone who is going to wholesale your house. These are standard wholesale out clauses. If they don't find a end buyer they walk clean..
See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Brandywine, MD · Member since 2013 · 84 posts · 21 votes
    13y

    @David Weiss , I could see the need for a larger down payment. One of the issues is that the house still needs work, but on the other hand there is a good bit of equity to be had when considering the ARV. Is there a term for the clause that would let me reacquire the property easily-ish if they fail to pay

    @Jeremiah B. for me it's about getting it done and protecting myself. Right now they have 2.75 stikes against them, so it won't take much to push me over the edge.

    @J Scott I really like the kickout clause suggestion. I'm going to be looking into that one.

    Now that we're on the subject of sub2, perhaps this is another means of me selling my house. Has anyone sold to an end buyer (person who will be living in the house) using sub2?

    Thanks everyone.

  • Investor · Dallas-Ft.Worth, TX · Member since 2013 · 74 posts · 18 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Justin Prevatte:
    @David Weiss , I could see the need for a larger down payment. One of the issues is that the house still needs work, but on the other hand there is a good bit of equity to be had when considering the ARV. Is there a term for the clause that would let me reacquire the property easily-ish if they fail to pay

    If there is a particular term for such a clause I'm not aware of it. The experienced RE attorney who shared this tactic described it as providing the seller a contractual remedy that allowed them to give a 60 day notice for nonpayment and then taking title if the payments didn't resume, similar to a foreclosure, but without the credit hit or auction).

    Said attorney recommended that I as a Sub2 buyer put this clause in for the seller so that if I become unable to pay, my seller will have a contractual remedy. The purpose for giving the seller a remedy is a) to increase the seller's comfort with the Sub2, and b) if things go south, having an alternative to litigation in the contract reduces my risk of litigation.

    It simply occurred to me that you could use the same type of clause when selling.

    I'm not a lawyer and I have never sold via Sub2; I underscore again the need to work with a really good lawyer if you or anyone else wants to go down this road.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.