My 10% Rule: Quick Cashflow Analysis

My 10% Rule: Quick Cashflow Analysis

Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 11 votes

I came up with a new way to quickly evaluate if a deal will cashflow.

I call it the 10% Rule: if annual gross revenue is at least 10% of the financed amount (after putting 25% down) then it’ll most likely cashflow.

For example, $100k property (25% down), you do $75k * .10 = $7500 annual revenue (you need at least $625/month to cashflow).

Thoughts?

0Reply
230 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
5y

Guessing on a different level.  Not all properties have the same taxes, insurance, etc...  Where does that come into play here?  Just learn how to actually do analysis, and avoid the shortcuts.  These shortcuts are not time savers, they are deal killers, or rationalization justifiers.  Either way, in the end they waste more time than they save. 

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 50 posts · 41 votes
    5y

    @Awet Hagos, that’s a pretty good starting point for evaluation of a property. I go with “Monthly rent should equal 1 percent of the purchase price. When I scan Zillow.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.