Real Estate Investor · Lakeville, MN · Member since 2008 · 153 posts · 17 votes
I have flipped several properties and have some rental properties, but I have never done a 'Subject To' deal. My realtor just brought me one and I was wondering what everyone thinks.
It's a 1960s rambler - 3BR/2Ba on a lake and right across from one of the top golf courses in the state. The landscaping outside it beautiful and it is on a dead end street in one of the most expensive towns in the state.
It needs to be updated with a lot of cosmetics - I'm estimating about $40K max. The owners would probably let it go to me for about $400K and the comps for it support $525-$550K.
My questions would be:
1) How do I find all the documents to set up a subject to transaction?
2) Is this a decent deal? What kind of questions should I be asking beyond the basics I have here?
3) Would it make sense to rent it out on some kind of vrbo (vacation rental by owner) basis through the long Minnesota winter and then sell it in the spring, or try to sell it right away?
Anything else you can think of that would be helpful?
Real Estate Investor · Lakeville, MN · Member since 2008 · 153 posts · 17 votes
13y
The loan balance is about $360K. The owners are in their 80s and just want out to downsize. The loan is not in default.
I have not checked the other outstanding liens. My realtor (who I have known for a long time and who has brought me a lot of good deals) is a personal friend of these people and is trying to help them out.
They have been trying to sell it but have not had much luck. They have put it on the market starting at $550K and been gradually lowering their price. All the feedback they have received has been that it is a great property and a great location but others just don't want to put the money into updating it.
My realtor has explained the subject 2 process to them.
I realize the profit is a little skinny, but that is why I was wondering if this would make a good candidate for vrbo for a while?
Real Estate Investor · Lakeville, MN · Member since 2008 · 153 posts · 17 votes
13y
Greg,
Great to meet you. I haven't (yet) but am always open to opportunities. Someone told me about a deal or two for some rehabbing of some lake homes, but it never came to anything. How's the market up there?