How has the pandemic changing how you select tenants?

How has the pandemic changing how you select tenants?

Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 12 votes

We have one rental in Fort Collins, Colorado. Our tenants are moving out next month and I listed the property on Zillow rentals. We had 10 applications in the first two day, most people had credit scores over 700. Normally I would be thrilled but the pandemic has shifted how I view applicants. For instance, one applicant has a credit score over 700, no debt, but works in a restaurant. Several are assistant professors at CSU who depend on a stipend. CSU has gone to online classes for the summer AND fall, and I have heard rumblings that this will be very difficult on universities. 

Are you doing anything differently to protect yourself? Are there questions that you are asking that you wouldn't normally? I don't usually verify employment or ask for pay stubs but this is something I might need to consider right now. 

Grateful for any advice. 

1Reply
78 views

Most Popular Reply

Multifamily investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 281 posts · 521 votes
6y

We own Class B multifamily properties and our collections were 99.6% for April and we are on track to collect similar % for May. This proved tp me that Class B properties are the most resilient asset class amongst multifamily. In the last recession (2008), Class C were the cash cow. 

IMO, that's because people who shouldn't have been granted mortgages, owned homes and lost them during the recession, and then moved to Class C apartments, which is what they could afford. That's why demand for Class C apartments rose. Class B were also doing (relatively) well. 

Today, Class C were hit the hardest, since many tenants who are employed in the service industry (restaurants, hair salons, etc) are out of job, and cannot afford to pay rent. Class A is 2nd, while Class B collections are the highest (based on info I saw). I'm not sure why Class A is performing worse than Class B, but this is the reality today. Of course, it changes from market to market, but these are the general numbers.   

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.