Eviction NightMare in Dallas Texas/Dallas County

Eviction NightMare in Dallas Texas/Dallas County

Chicago-Texas · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 26 votes

Hello BP Family,

Happy New year everyone. 

I inherited the tenant with the duplex I purchased in Dallas county.   I started the eviction in early October 2022, I have been using this company and they have been really successful in getting the tenant evicted. On Dec 12th, I was awarded back rent by JP court but tenant filed appeal (month deposit is waived as bond if you claim not to have any $$$).  Now the case is moved to county court and have to hire a lawyer. The person that is handling the eviction told me that county court still has not received the paperwork and JP court is claiming they have sent it. I did speak to an attorney and she also stated that Dallas county is tenant friendly similar to Chicago, it's not uncommon for judges to change court dates at last min and give tenants unnecessary leeway. 

Can anyone recommend a eviction lawyer they have used for Dallas county and have they run into the issue similar as mine? On Avg how long did it take to evict someone in Dallas county?

Thank you in advance for reading and replying. 

Pete...

1Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y

You might try Lonergan Law Firm, Israel Suster, or Pratt Aycock.

I believe all of these are frequent attorneys in Dallas County on eviction filings.

If they're moving it to district court you will need an attorney.

Sorry this has happened.   Keep after it.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    You might try Lonergan Law Firm, Israel Suster, or Pratt Aycock.

    I believe all of these are frequent attorneys in Dallas County on eviction filings.

    If they're moving it to district court you will need an attorney.

    Sorry this has happened.   Keep after it.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    So the tenant used the Pauper's Affidavit to appeal claiming they had no money correct?  They still are required to deposit one month's rent to the court within 5 days and continue to pay rent to the court monthly.  Has this been done?

  • Chicago-Texas · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 26 votes
    3y

    Bruce: Thank you very much for the recommendation, I reached out to Lonergan. They also stated same thing as I mentioned in my post. 

    Greg: Thank you for feedback. I do not have the paperwork from county yet but after speaking with attorney at Lonergan, they also confirmed same as the other attorneys I have spoke to. Tenant has to merely state they do not have the means for pay for the appeal and they are granted appeal. Plus Dallas county is bad a Chicago, it is completely tenant leaning. Judges are not following the law. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Hi Pete,

    Yes, it is known that the Dallas County court is not landlord-friendly...

    I know cases that took over 2 years...

    Suggest contacting NTX Eviction they can help you find a qualified attorney 

    good luck 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.