Can I rent to someone who has no SSN?

Can I rent to someone who has no SSN?

Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 12 votes

First time have this. Gf has all docs, BF has no documents, no SSN. He's been working  for a local restaurant for 5 years. 

Can I rent to them if income is enough? What's the risk?

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Tom Fidrych:
The current landlord or owner may not be a good source outside of verification of occupancy. I'll say whatever the prospective landlord wants to hear when I'm trying to get someone out. 
I agree, but sometimes you get a moment of candor, or a pregnant pause that tells all.
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Skip tracing if they/he leaves and owes you money.  Loss of income so they/she can't afford rent if Immigration cracks down on illegal aliens.  How do you know he's been working at restaurant for last five years? Why are they switching apartments now?

    I am aware of no law that says you cannot rent to illegal aliens, and some localities have laws forbidding not renting to them for that reason.

    If he is Mexican, he should have a "Matrícula Consular" -- an identification card for Mexicans outside of Mexico. If he's Mexican and he doesn't have it, be real suspicious and ask why not.

    Also, does he have a ITIN from the Internal Revenue Service? How is he filing his taxes?
  • Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 12 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Clark:
    Skip tracing if they/he leaves and owes you money.  Loss of income so they/she can't afford rent if Immigration cracks down on illegal aliens.  How do you know he's been working at restaurant for last five years? Why are they switching apartments now?

    I am aware of no law that says you cannot rent to illegal aliens, and some localities have laws forbidding not renting to them for that reason.

    If he is Mexican, he should have a "Matrícula Consular" -- an identification card for Mexicans outside of Mexico. If he's Mexican and he doesn't have it, be real suspicious and ask why not.

    Also, does he have a ITIN from the Internal Revenue Service? How is he filing his taxes?
    He doesn't have ITIN number. Basically no docs. He said he worked for the restaurants for 5 years, he has the restaurant checks deposit to his bank account every month. I will ask for the "Matricula Consular". 

    Matrícula Consular


  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nina Zou:
     He said he worked for the restaurants for 5 years, he has the restaurant checks deposit to his bank account every month. I will ask for the "Matricula Consular". 

    Check with the restaurant directly, and do NOT use the number he gave you. Try Google street  view to make sure the place exists at the address he gave. It is VERY easy to fake pay stubs and deposit slips. Check with the bank, too, if you can.

    Also, WHY do they have to move? If you contact the current landowner/landlord now (again, do NOT use the phone number he gave you), what does he say about the couple?

    Also, how is this guy filing taxes without a social security number or an ITIN? Find out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Will be hard to get them out. I would move on.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Next prospect. IMO

  • Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 12 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bud Gaffney:

    Next prospect. IMO

    Ok guys. I will move on. Not worth the hassle. Thanks everyone! 
  • Member since 2020 · 241 posts · 179 votes
    3y

    Also, WHY do they have to move? If you contact the current landowner/landlord now (again, do NOT use the phone number he gave you), what does he say about the couple?

    The current landlord or owner may not be a good source outside of verification of occupancy. I'll say whatever the prospective landlord wants to hear when I'm trying to get someone out.
  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tom Fidrych:
    The current landlord or owner may not be a good source outside of verification of occupancy. I'll say whatever the prospective landlord wants to hear when I'm trying to get someone out. 
    I agree, but sometimes you get a moment of candor, or a pregnant pause that tells all.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.