Tenant screening using the applicant’s SS#

Tenant screening using the applicant’s SS#

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 65 posts · 13 votes

I have an applicant who is inquiring if I can do a credit report check using their SS# instead of them applying for one 


are you aware of any way to do so 

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 47 posts · 47 votes
3y

Many of the property management solutions out there use one of the big providers (Transunion, Experian) as Garrett noted. These all require an applicant's consent to pull but have a relatively short application to complete. Those are easily automated through the many rent collection platforms.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Orem, UT · Member since 2021 · 98 posts · 80 votes
    3y

    I believe it's possible, I've always done it through Zillow, Rentler, or my property management software. It is possible to get it directly from one of the credit agencies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion). You'll need written permission from the potential tenant and there may be some fees.

  • Member since 2022 · 47 posts · 47 votes
    3y

    Many of the property management solutions out there use one of the big providers (Transunion, Experian) as Garrett noted. These all require an applicant's consent to pull but have a relatively short application to complete. Those are easily automated through the many rent collection platforms.

  • Member since 2021 · 40 posts · 27 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Yashar Fred:

    I have an applicant who is inquiring if I can do a credit report check using their SS# instead of them applying for one 


    are you aware of any way to do so 


     Yashar, if you pull the credit report it may appear as a hard inquiry on the tenant's credit file instead of a soft inquiry with SmartMove or a similar service.  

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    @Yashar Fred I really like using MySmartMove, which is affiliated with TransUnion. It's extremely user-friendly, very detailed and almost as soon as you submit it, you'll get your results for: credit history, income verification, eviction records and criminal background. 

  • Member since 2023 · 46 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    Bigger Pockets actually offers tenant screening on their site through a trusted partner. There are multiple options available for screening packages; tenant involvement/no tenant involvement, instant reports, hand-compiled reports, and even income verification.

    You can find further information by going to Tenant Screening under the Tools tab.

    Best of luck to you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.