Tenant Screening: Why is it so hard to verify rental history?

Tenant Screening: Why is it so hard to verify rental history?

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 52 posts · 9 votes

Help. I am having a hard time verifying applicants rental history. After I'm sure I got the owners contact information, then it seems no one answers the phone nor return our form. Why is it so hard to get owners to verify rental history?

What works for you? What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have a form I could use to verify applicants rental history? There must be an easier way. 

0Reply
26 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brad HammondBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    5y

    @April Adams, this is so frustrating!!  I have the same problem that previous property managers won't get back to me.  I think part of it is because they aren't professional and/or they don't care.  I wouldn't back down from this though because it is so important to screen your applicants well.  I would see if the applicant can provide the info from a different property manager or have them contact the one you are trying to get info on.  Hopefully, if the applicant pokes them as well it could motivate them to respond.  Good luck! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.