Abandoned Homes Off Market Need Your Help

Abandoned Homes Off Market Need Your Help

Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 12 votes

I found this great house in a highly trafficked area.  It appears to be abandon.  When I checked the city records I was able to retrieve a name, but the owner address goes to the abandoned home.  What other options are there in connecting with the homeowners? 

And if abandoned, what's the first trail I should take towards buying?   Who should I contact first? 

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Brent ReynoldsPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Clermont, FL · Member since 2021 · 31 posts · 35 votes
4y
Quote from @Pamela Bunkley:

I found this great house in a highly trafficked area.  It appears to be abandon.  When I checked the city records I was able to retrieve a name, but the owner address goes to the abandoned home.  What other options are there in connecting with the homeowners? 

And if abandoned, what's the first trail I should take towards buying?   Who should I contact first?

Hi Pamela - 

Couple of thoughts here..

Send a letter to the address on file. Mail may be forwarded at the post office.

Now that you have the name, use your county appraiser's office website to search for other properties owned by the same name.  This may surface other properties owned and some new contact information.

Search the county's online tax records for tax or other liens which may bare more contact information

In Florida, we can contact a title search company directly and pay for an O&E title search (around $100) that essentially does this work noted above and a little more.  You may consider talking to a real estate attorney in your area for advice on how to do something similar and get their help interpreting the results.

Hope that helps!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Avenel, NJ · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    @Pamela Bunkley I would look for tax records or title company. Where is the property? What are you looking to do?

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    I'm leaning towards flipping.   Homes in the area are ranging from $280 - $350k

    it's 3/2,  2,700sqft. w/huge backyard.  Corner lot.

  • Brent ReynoldsPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Clermont, FL · Member since 2021 · 31 posts · 35 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Pamela Bunkley:

    I found this great house in a highly trafficked area.  It appears to be abandon.  When I checked the city records I was able to retrieve a name, but the owner address goes to the abandoned home.  What other options are there in connecting with the homeowners? 

    And if abandoned, what's the first trail I should take towards buying?   Who should I contact first?

    Hi Pamela - 

    Couple of thoughts here..

    Send a letter to the address on file. Mail may be forwarded at the post office.

    Now that you have the name, use your county appraiser's office website to search for other properties owned by the same name.  This may surface other properties owned and some new contact information.

    Search the county's online tax records for tax or other liens which may bare more contact information

    In Florida, we can contact a title search company directly and pay for an O&E title search (around $100) that essentially does this work noted above and a little more.  You may consider talking to a real estate attorney in your area for advice on how to do something similar and get their help interpreting the results.

    Hope that helps!

  • Malcomb StapelPro Member
    Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2020 · 669 posts · 488 votes
    4y

    @Pamela Bunkley  you could try Facebook, shoot them a message, see if they respond. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    @BrentReynolds 

    excellent advice. I'll contact a title company today.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.