Finding a Qualified REI Mentor

Finding a Qualified REI Mentor

Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2010 · 22 posts · 12 votes

You have probably observed that your best first investment is in yourself. Even if you have closed a few deals in the past, you must have a mentor who can help take you to the next level in your real estate investing business.

For many years I have been a successful real estate investor and I still marvel at the masses of less experienced RE Investors who flounder in this REI business. They attend seminars, read books, listen to CDs and watch videos on getting rich in real estate. Unfortunately, almost all of these folks never make any money investing in real estate. They just spend what they have on more "education." Don't do that!

The sad truth is that there are so many real estate investing scams out there that you need to be very cautious about who you trust. So, what are some things to look for if you are to secure an honest apprenticeship from a true qualified mentor? The following is a checklist that you can use when choosing the right real estate investing mentor for your REI business.

  1. The mentor must have actually had success investing in real estate. That means that they would be a millionaire.
  2. They should currently be investing on their own. What are they doing right now?
  3. Your mentor should be of good character with high moral values. If you are not comfortable that they are, run!
  4. He/She should have a vested interest in your success. If not, they have zero motivation to see you through to your own success.
  5. Your mentor should be a skilled communicator with exceptional teaching skills.
  6. They should be patient and be willing to work with you on a 1-on-1 basis.
  7. They must be reachable/available for you when you really need them.

The foregoing is a short list that I have created from my real estate investing experience over 3 decades and and my direct experience as an active real estate mentor of 5 years. Over the next few weeks I will blog about these points in a series of blog posts. I believe that it is truly imperative that you seriously consider each of these points carefully. If you do, your chances of real estate investing success are greatly multiplied.

My recommendation of getting a mentor is purely because I hate seeing sincere, regular people spend their last dollar on a huckster who is only after their money. This is criminal in my book. Remember, you are always responsible for the decisions that you make. Do your homework. You are starting a business!

4Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

@Bill Gulley , first of all Merry Christmas to you and all of your loved ones. You are a treasure here at BiggerPockets, contributing to a level that is truly immeasurable and without peer.

Second of all, being an ex US Marine, "giving a kick in the pants" to who I am fortunate to coach REI to is a gentle kick in the pants.

Hell I think I am harder on my lacrosse boys (13 - 15) than I am on my REI Coaching Clients.

First of all, What is your "why"?? is a conversation I have with my potential students.

If your personal "why" is weak or without strong conviction to build a business over time, I do not want to get involved as a REI coach.

"Awaken the Giant Within" by Tony Robbins gets to your real motivation. If you do not know what your real "why" is read that book.

"The Emyth Revisited" by Michael Gerber helps you visualize working "in your business" for a while, then working "on your business" and supervising.

Being creative in deal making involves many skills. Listening well is one of the most critical. One of my favorite books about learning high level listening skills is "The 5 Essential People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts" by Dale Carnegie Training. If you lack people skills, PLEASE read this. Also the classic, "How to Win Friends and Influence People."

Selling is a skill, and ethical selling is importnant. "How to Master the Art of Selling" by Tom Hopkins is extremely valuable. If you are talking to wealthy people re: Private Lending, the best book I know is "Values Based Selling" by Bill Bachrach. It is written for financial planners and stock brokers to sell to the wealthy.

Know the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the FTC, and how Credit Reports are created and improved are important when assisting seller financed home buyers getting home loans. "Hidden Credit Repair Secrets" by Mark Clayborne is a fine book to lean some interesting tactics to have to improve credit FICO scores.

How to Finance any Real Estate Any Place Any Time by James A Misko is one of my favorite "creativity books". We in REI are problem solvers, first and foremost. He goes into IRAs and Real Estate, Using Options, 1031 Exchanging, Combining Purchase with a Lease. Using Zero Coupon Bonds to Secure a Loan, Sale Lease Backs (not with distressed properties), using loan to equity options, and more. There are 45 examples to learn from. And he is a CCMI, and has been a NAR Instructor.

Gary Keller of Keller Williams wrote a book called "Shift - How Top Real Estate Agents Tackle Tough Times", and in Chapter 10 he wrote about using Creative Financing to help Sellers and Buyers. Many times I will buy that book in mass and give it to real estate brokers that I like to work with. You can buy cheap slightly used books at Amazon, like for a buck!

As far as never stopping to learn, the 2 references I use DAILY are "Dictionary of Real Estate Terms" by Barron's, and "Black's Law Dictionary" by Brian A Garner, et al.

The books by the Wall Street Journal are awesome: "The Complete Homeowner's Guidebook" by David Crook, and "The Complete Money and Investing Guidebook" by David Kansas.

Lastly, business savvy books I like to read at night:

"What They Dont Teach you at Harvard Business School", by Mark H. McCormack, like how to run meetings, running a business, et al.

And my all time favorite, "Swim with the Sharks" by Harvey MacKay, of MacKay Envelope Company and the Minnesota Twins. I have used that book to assist me run my businesses since 1986, especially see the chapter on Negotiation.

Merry Christmas to all at BP Nation, and let's have a great 2014, in the Dodd Frank Era of Real Estate Finance! Sub2 anyone? :)

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Spring, TX · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Hi All,

    We are a Husband and Wife team, we just joined BP and are just looking into starting out in REI. We have been reading as much as we can find that is free involving how to start out in the business. We are both seeking a change in lifestyle from "the grind" as people like to call it and have always both been interested slightly in how REI works. We want to show our two young boys that there is a better way to living and if we can make good money to top it off than we are all for it, but that is not our 100% driving force as much as the lifestyle change would be. We have been trying to gauge what is the right direction to start off on. We have a friend who along with her Husband have become very successfull in Florida with REI to the point that after 18 months they were able to make it their full time careers, and that is what we strive for as well.

    We know that it will take sacrafice and determination and we are ready to commit. I think our biggest issue we are facing at the onset is to locate a great Mentor locally or to join Lifestyles Unlimited and/or Rich Club or will all 3 be beneficial to us? Everywhere I read, people claim different directions work, so to say the least it has become confusing as to where exactly we should start. This topic I came across here has been helpful reading through and we appreciate the advice from the likes of C.J. Lauria, Brian Gibbons etc.

    We are planning to attend our first seminar tomorrow with either LU or RC (both have seminars going on here in the Houston area at the same time tomorrow) and we really would like to know if it will be benificial to us or should we find a way to just seek out the right Mentor? If we should seek out a Mentor we would like any advice as to where is the best place to begin that search. Right now, we feel we should do the Seminar tomorrow becuause hey, you never know what connections you may meet right away and a little more education never hurt, and than find a Mentor after.

    Do you think this is the correct course of action to start out with? Please advise, we are looking for any beneficial advice that will help us get our feet wet.

    Thank you very much.

    Michael and Sheena Dillon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley

    You can't help yourself can you... Here's what I think - I think that I am you in a few years. Relative to this, I am willing to pay you to change your forum picture to a snapshot of you - I need to know that I am still damn good-looking a few years from now! What do ya say? :)

    @Brian Gibbons

    You can't win man - its Gulley. Just join him and save yourself an ulcer...

    CJ - welcome!

  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2010 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Michael & Sheena,

    I appreciate your strong desire to change your financial path. Desire is certainly a prerequisite. having mentored REI people coast to coast, I assure you that they all have a similar desire. The ones actually succeed as REI business owners are those who think like business owners.

    I suggest giving careful thought to what you where you wish to be in 2, 3, 5 years. Focus on the positive aspects of REI and don't look back. What I mean is, don't do this to:

    1- get out of debt,

    2- stop clamoring for time for the family

    3- stop worrying about bills.

    Rather, focus on

    1- gain financial freedom,

    2- enjoy quality time with family,

    3- having plenty to share with others.

    In doing this, you re-frame your current dislikes into rewarding goals. REI is one of the top time-honored ways of generating lasting wealth. I recommend it.

    I also caution you about the "REI education" that is offered by so many. All the education in the world does not insure success. Attitude can.

    I published a book on the subject and am willing to share it with you, gratis, if you like. Stay hungry, focused and positive, but do your due diligence when it comes to writing a check for another REI program. Cheers!

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @C.J. Lauria:
    Michael & Sheena,

    I appreciate your strong desire to change your financial path. Desire is certainly a prerequisite. having mentored REI people coast to coast, I assure you that they all have a similar desire. The ones actually succeed as REI business owners are those who think like business owners.

    I suggest giving careful thought to what you where you wish to be in 2, 3, 5 years. Focus on the positive aspects of REI and don't look back. What I mean is, don't do this to:

    1- get out of debt,

    2- stop clamoring for time for the family

    3- stop worrying about bills.

    Rather, focus on

    1- gain financial freedom,

    2- enjoy quality time with family,

    3- having plenty to share with others.

    In doing this, you re-frame your current dislikes into rewarding goals. REI is one of the top time-honored ways of generating lasting wealth. I recommend it.

    I also caution you about the "REI education" that is offered by so many. All the education in the world does not insure success. Attitude can.

    I published a book on the subject and am willing to share it with you, gratis, if you like. Stay hungry, focused and positive, but do your due diligence when it comes to writing a check for another REI program. Cheers!

    I think re framing is great. Mind Talk is the killer. What we say to ourselves, especially in that murky semi present stage (ex Day dreaming, procrasitination, etc).

    What we say to ourselves and rationalize our failure while others succeed.

    Here are attitude quotes from the Masters, people I draw strength and power to my core.

    Jim Rohn

    It doesn't matter which side of the fence you get off on sometimes. What matters most is getting off. You cannot make progress without making decisions.

    The more you know the less you need to say.

    If you go to work on your goals, your goals will go to work on you. If you go to work on your plan, your plan will go to work on you. Whatever good things we build end up building us.

    Character isn't something you were born with and can't change, like your fingerprints. It's something you weren't born with and must take responsibility for forming.

    Others:

    R Buckminster Fuller http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/rbuckmins151694.html

    You are what you read and what you say and what you think. :)

  • Investor · Covington, OH · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    C.J. Lauria loved your comment about public school system lol! You sound like my kinda MENTOR!
  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2010 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    That may sound cliche, but it's 100% true! Thanks, Brian.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:
    @Bill Gulley
    You can't help yourself can you... Here's what I think - I think that I am you in a few years. Relative to this, I am willing to pay you to change your forum picture to a snapshot of you - I need to know that I am still damn good-looking a few years from now! What do ya say? :)
    @Brian Gibbons

    You can't win man - its Gulley. Just join him and save yourself an ulcer...

    CJ - welcome!

    I'll bet it will take you at least 15 years by age to catch up. WARNING: Hanging around and listening to older mature people may cause premature maturity. If you look closely you'll see my face reflected in the sun light showing through. Save your money and an ulcer, it's really me. LOL :)

  • Spring, TX · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thank you both once again C.J. and Brian, your advice here has been extremely helpful. We would be very interested in obtaining your book C.J., just let me know what you need to get a copy to us. And yes, we have been working on changing our way of thinking, we both know that is very important and it is something to really work at given that your brain has been trained to think a certain way since pretty much around the 1st grade. I know we can and are slowly changing it however which is where we are happy to be a duo going into this venture.

    Thank you both again :)

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2010 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    So true! I think the challenge is to put those words into action. Our society is so full of distractions which result in mental clutter and inability to think clearly.

    Shut off the TV, get a mentor you trust implicitly, follow the mentor's directions closely and don't look back. Cheers!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.