I'm having trouble getting insurance on SFH before having a tenant

I'm having trouble getting insurance on SFH before having a tenant

Real Estate Investor · Livonia, MI · Member since 2008 · 50 posts · 8 votes

Hello. I'm in the midst of closing my first deal and have hit a catch 22 issue. Since this is a buy & hold I'm using traditional financing. The bank requires the property to be insured. However the insurance company will not insure a vacant property (even though it is move in condition). Is there any way to get insurance on SFH without having a lease in place already? thanks in advance. -JQ

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
11y

The company given in the profile of 

@Tim Norris should be able to cover this. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Try to find a  'Builders risk' policy. That's for vacant dwellings. But you don't get it through those agencies, like state farm or all state. You'll likely have to find an independent agent, who will find one for you.

    Once you have a tenant in, you can get a landlord policy. 

    Unless the property is ready to move in and won't be vacant long. Then I would just look for another insurance company.

  • VA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    11y
    Hey Jon: Foremost insurance can handle this. I use this company on a regular basis! www.foremost.com Trey
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y

    The company given in the profile of 

    @Tim Norris should be able to cover this. 

  • Investor · Bennington, NE · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Exactly what @Steve Babiak 

    said.  We use NREIG for everything, great company.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.