Motivated Sellers: What's REALLY Helping You Find Them?

Motivated Sellers: What's REALLY Helping You Find Them?

Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes

About a year ago, we got hit with a substantial misdemeanor charge/fee for bandit signs.  

As a result, we decided to stop with the bandit signs. 

Unfortunately, bandit signs was our primary source of leads.  

Since then, we've seen our numbers of leads take a nose dive.  We've been consistent with our out-of-state absentee owner and probate mailings, but our phones don't ring like they did back when we were active with the bandit signs.

We've tried the following to supplement our mailing campaigns:

- Calling landlords from the local newspaper

- Calling FSBO's from Zillow

- Paying a VA to send "are you interested in selling" messages to landlords posting their properties on "house-for-rent" websites

- "Driving for dollars"

...and a few other things that I can't think of at the moment.

I don't know if it's the seller's market we're still in in this area or what, but we're having a challenge right now getting leads coming in.  

I understand that ideally you need to have a multitude of lead avenues working for you, however my question is:

What's working for you?

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

Bandit signs generate calls, but did they generate closed deals?  What are your numbers on calls v. deals, and where did bandit signs fit into that?

If bandit signs were really working as a deal source, can you hit those areas with bill boards or other paid for signage advertising?

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2014 · 202 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    Alvin have you tried pay-per-click ads yet? 

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Bandit signs generate calls, but did they generate closed deals?  What are your numbers on calls v. deals, and where did bandit signs fit into that?

    If bandit signs were really working as a deal source, can you hit those areas with bill boards or other paid for signage advertising?

  • Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes
    11y

    @Alvin Grierto add to @Account Closedcomment you could hire people to flyer those areas.  I hate it but it's like bandit signs it can produce leads if done right.  Make up a flyer and have people put them in the driver's door window in big parking lots.  Or you can do it more legit way by contracting with a concert hall or another large venue and have people passing out flyers on the way out/in.  I personally don't think the second works as well, but I have nothing to back that up.  Good Luck and let us know how things turn out.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    In our market, it almost boils down to luck due to the number of buyers. Rarely a day goes by I don't receive a "we buy houses" type of advertisement. These are typically not from the same person. No doubt there are hundreds if not thousands of buyers seeking properties. I had one property under contract and saw three flyers seeking to buy it. They arrived in the mail on the same day. Though the costs can run up, I think consistency is the only way direct mail will pay off. Keep at it!

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Alvin Grier Time to re-think your strategy.

    Essentially, you have depended on a single lead generation device that is illegal in most locales. 

    The problem with turn-it-on, turn-it-off campaigns is that they have no lasting value. There is no "equity" created. This is the reason I changed to a referral based system many, many years ago. 

    Marketing with push/pull strategy might work better for you, however you need to be patient because it does take time to spool up and ramp up. 

    This would involve creating systems for reaching others who may or may not be involved in real estate where you become a center of influence. 

    There's a tremendous amount of waste in direct mail as well as online advertising. If you have the budget and can tolerate the expense while you sort out and determine an acceptable ROI from your online and offline efforts you may get past your dependency on bandit signs and become part of a legitimate established marketing system.

    You might find some useful material by searching Dan Kennedy's site or others known for direct response marketing.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 131 posts · 46 votes
    11y

    @Alvin Grier, to @Rick H.'s point, consider creating relationships where you are the center of influence. I've done just that for my real estate business. I created a mastermind group which facilitates knowledge sharing and leads. We have one seat per business type i.e. carpenter, painter, real estate agent, etc. It works well because the guy painting a house down the street may pass a distressed property on his way to a job which he would gladly tell me about :). Our agent runs comps when I need her to. If I want to sell a house, guess who I'm listing it with? Her! One hand washes the other...

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    Thanks for all of the productive, thought-provoking replies. I'll try to respond to everyone in a single reply...

    - @Rene Martinez No, I've never tried pay-per-click ads, but I'll consider it. Has anyone reading this used "We Buy Houses"-type PPC ads successfully? If so, did you find it to be worth the investment?  Although they let you move at your own pace, so-to-speak, it seems like it can get pretty costly.

    - @Account Closed , how did you go about creating such a group? Did you create a limited seat Meetup.com group, or something like that? Very interesting concept. Do you guys meetup in-person to discuss business ideas as well?

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 131 posts · 46 votes
    11y

    @Alvin Griershoot me a PM and I'''l go more in depth about the group.

  • Realtor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2013 · 278 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    Hey @Alvin

    @Alvin Grier What areas are you focusing on in Metro Detroit? I have seen vehicles wrapped in graphics with "we buy houses". Check local ordinances  and find the areas that allow  bandit signs and create a referral program.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    @Alvin Neal Detroit (brick only) and all surrounding suburbs.

  • Specialist · Sibley, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 190 votes
    11y

    @Alvin Grier The simple thing to do is to get the leads from people who are online. Your targeted audience is hanging out online so get your website in front of them. Have you thought about building your online presence with seo and targeted keywords? 

    Yea think about it..people actually do search for help these days online when they need to sell or buy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.