Suburban Atlanta Tax Delinquents

Suburban Atlanta Tax Delinquents

Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Beginner wholesaler here and while I have been a lurker for several month on BP, this is my first post. I need to take action, so I'm willing to stumble through each step until I can get my first deal done!

About 2 weeks ago I received my first list of tax delinquent home owners from the county in my target market, but I don't really know what I'm looking at since this is a raw data. I need to establish who the most motivated sellers may be on this list and for efficiency's sake, focus my firstdirect mail campaign on these owners.

Does anyone have any advice or best practices when targeting tax delinquent owners? How long before this list becomes stale? Do I need to order this list monthly? Is their a minimum amount owed or late for x days I should hone in on? 

Has anyone had any added success door knocking with tax delinquents? Sounds risky, but also like it may produce greater returns.

Money is tight and I really want my first direct mailings to yield the most leads. Sending 1000 pieces for my first campaign isn't do-able all at once.

Thanks!

0Reply
13 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    Moderator, didn't mean to post twice. Please delete this post. Thanks
  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Hi Kofi - You shouldn't expect or need to make money from a single, less than 1000 piece mailing, as a newbie.  

    You're mailing to a very competitive list.  The most motivated sellers on this list have already received a dozen letters, some hand delivered, some calls.  The most motivated picked up the phone and have found someone they trust and are working out a deal in some cases.

    You might look for a piece of data which helps you narrow the list. Owner occupied, out of state, ownership type (LLC, Bank, Estate, etc.), property value, area desirability for investors, etc.

    Go to an actual tax sale, you'll see that half of the list is a list of worthless properties.  These properties stay on the list.  You don't want to mail to those. 

    Hope that gets you started.

    Rick

  • Specialist · Novato, CA · Member since 2012 · 190 posts · 57 votes
    11y

    Yes.

    Find equity. Market to those people only. When the letter comes back. ( not able to deliver )That's your lead. Now you've eliminated 99% of your comp. Most people won't want to deal with dead/orphaned etc.

  • Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    Rick Baggenstoss and Mike Osterman, thanks for the helpful leads. I'll definitely look to attend the next tax sale. I heard similar good advice on a BP podcast about asking other local investors for their return mail lists and targeting those owners. I've got much to learn, but I'm also eager to get started.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.