A Place to Get Home Street Address Using Legal Description?

A Place to Get Home Street Address Using Legal Description?

Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes

I have a ton of properties I need to research, but all I have are the Liber, lot, Liber page numbers, and the subdivision names of the properties.

I'm looking for a way to find the normal street name (e.g. 123 Main St.) somewhere online.

My current options are to pay $15.00 per 15-minute session at the Wayne County (MI) Register of Deeds website, or to physically go to the office to search on their computers in the lobby.

These options are less-than-ideal for several reasons, as there are tons of addresses that need to be researched.

I tried Googling using the Liber/Lot/Subdivision info, to no avail, pretty much; sometimes it works, but most of the time I come up with nothing.

I wanted to throw this out there in case you guys knew of any other options that I'm not aware of. 

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

1Reply
69 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Do you have APN numbers? 

    Or just the "that parcel of land located at bla bla bla on book of maps 5, map 123, subsection 94" thing?

    EDIT: Please tell me you have APN numbers... or whatever the property tax identification numbers are called in your area. 

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    Do you have APN numbers? 

    Nope, all I have is that info I spoke of.  

    I believe the "APN" number is the parcel number, yes?

    I thought about that before I made the post, but I confirmed that I don't have that information.  If I did, I could've at least searched using that number at the Wayne County Tax Assessor's website (for free), which would've given me the regular street address.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Alvin Grier:
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    Do you have APN numbers? 

    Nope, all I have is that info I spoke of.  

    I believe the "APN" number is the parcel number, yes?

    I thought about that before I made the post, but I confirmed that I don't have that information.  If I did, I could've at least searched using that number at the Wayne County Tax Assessor's website (for free), which would've given me the regular street address.

     Well crap.

    OK, here's all I got for ya:

    Any real estate, lender, or title office, has a crap ton of closed transactions under their belts. Each transaction had a preliminary title report done. Each prelim INCLUDED that little map referenced in the legal description, for that neighborhood. 

    If you have any clue in the world what neighborhood it's in, you could theoretically get someone in those offices to dig through old transactions and find those maps for you.

    It'll have to be your go-to realtor or lender that's closed deals with you in the past to make it worth her or his time. I can't let you sit at my computer logged in as me for a bunch of really good privacy reasons, so I'd just be printing that one single page from the prelims, blacking out that borrower's name and personal info appearing on that page, copying it, giving it to you, and it would be the most mind-numbing work in the universe. 

    Then you could take that map, line it up with the legal description written in surveyor-speak that I'm not fluent in, and from there back into the street address using google maps.

    If someone else has a better answer, please include an @me in the post so I see it. I hate those legal descriptions and have thus far never found a use for them, but if there's a tool out there I don't know about, I want to know about it. :)

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    Bingo!  I was able to find a huge spreadsheet of all of the parcels in the city of Detroit.

    I downloaded it, and I'm able to cross reference the info I have to find the street address.

    Nice.

    My next obstacle is finding something similar for the rest of the cities in Wayne county, but I would imagine that I could get one with a FOIA request to the municipalities, if they don't want to give it up nicely LOL

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Alvin Grier:

    Bingo!  I was able to find a huge spreadsheet of all of the parcels in the city of Detroit.

     Derp, why didn't I think of that. We have the same thing local to me and I used it like two weeks ago. Meanwhile instead I randomly hatched an elaborate plot above that was completely unnecessary. haha.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

     Nah, you're good.  The conversation got my wheels-a-turning which ultimately lead me to my resolution, so I appreciate your help nonetheless, my man!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y

    If your legal description contains coordinates for latitude and longitude, then you should be able to input those coordinates into a mapping site such as Google maps to get a street address. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.