Targeted Mailing List To Find Potential Sellers For A Realtor

Targeted Mailing List To Find Potential Sellers For A Realtor

Real Estate Agent · North Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes

Greetings, What would be the best criteria for a Realtor to use when creating a mailing list for a neighborhood you are farming and want to target the home owners in that neighborhood who are most likely to sell? Would you target all owners who have owned their home for five years or more? Any other criteria you would use? Just by using the the home owners who have owned five years or more I get about 1,000 home owners which is the size of the list I'm looking to mail to. I'm not concerned if they have equity or not. I just want to optimize my mailing list so that I am not mailing to home owners who have little to no chance of selling. Thanks! 

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Knoxville TN · Member since 2011 · 112 posts · 81 votes
10y

132 in the last 12 months is actually a fairly low turnover for a farm list, I personally as an agent and as an investor would not farm it. I want a turn over rate that is high (closer to 10-15%) especially when getting first into a neighborhood. Pick an area you know that everyone wants to be in, could be due to schools or jobs, park or new shopping or employment coming in that area. I only market to people who have equity, if they have to pay to sell their home are they really going to want to pay you 6 or 7% without trying to FSBO first? I personally like out of state owners if you still come up with too many homes to market to. If your MLS includes rentals take out any home that recently rented or look on hotpads and zillow for that info. Drive the area and know the dump homes from the nicest homes. Pick homes in the average purchase price range, not the price range you want your commission check to be in. If an agent lives in that subdivision it may be harder to get in the subdivision if they are a top producer. Look and see per farm area what agent sold the most and if everyone when to them or if it was equally divided, that will save you some money. Become top of mind. Don't just mail saying let me sell your home, they want to know that you care before they care what you know. Send out news letters or local area happenings. Visit yard sales in the neighborhood and get to know more people if that is going to be your farm for the next 6 months. I only market to people who bought at least 5 years ago, have not refinanced in the last 5 years, are out of state or non owner occs, and have a tax value lower then the resale prices in the area. Nothing is a sure thing, but follow up is key. Mailings like this have a low rate of return, expect that but press on. Put them in your sphere and make them remember you. Everyone does one small post card that looks like junk. Spend a few extra dollars on a hand written letter and envelope. Put a mint or something bigger in the envelope so it stands out. You can have a VA do a lot of the leg work and gather a list for you, they can even stuff envelopes and mail for you. Check out the rate of return on hand written envelopes compared to a generic post card, it is worth the extra $.50 per mailer. Good luck and stick with it if you start.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Joseph Castaneda how many homes are in your farming area, and what is the turnover rate?

    Maybe you can take everyone that has sold in the last 6-12 months, and calculate the average time of home ownership. Then start targeting those who are getting close to that time. 

  • Real Estate Agent · North Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    There are about 2,200 condos in my community. Thanks!
  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Joseph Castaneda out of curiosity out of those 2200 how many sales were completed in the last 12 months

  • Real Estate Agent · North Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    I checked the average and most were over five years since their last sale. So I think my list is good. There were 132 sales in the past 12 months.
  • Real Estate Consultant · Knoxville TN · Member since 2011 · 112 posts · 81 votes
    10y

    132 in the last 12 months is actually a fairly low turnover for a farm list, I personally as an agent and as an investor would not farm it. I want a turn over rate that is high (closer to 10-15%) especially when getting first into a neighborhood. Pick an area you know that everyone wants to be in, could be due to schools or jobs, park or new shopping or employment coming in that area. I only market to people who have equity, if they have to pay to sell their home are they really going to want to pay you 6 or 7% without trying to FSBO first? I personally like out of state owners if you still come up with too many homes to market to. If your MLS includes rentals take out any home that recently rented or look on hotpads and zillow for that info. Drive the area and know the dump homes from the nicest homes. Pick homes in the average purchase price range, not the price range you want your commission check to be in. If an agent lives in that subdivision it may be harder to get in the subdivision if they are a top producer. Look and see per farm area what agent sold the most and if everyone when to them or if it was equally divided, that will save you some money. Become top of mind. Don't just mail saying let me sell your home, they want to know that you care before they care what you know. Send out news letters or local area happenings. Visit yard sales in the neighborhood and get to know more people if that is going to be your farm for the next 6 months. I only market to people who bought at least 5 years ago, have not refinanced in the last 5 years, are out of state or non owner occs, and have a tax value lower then the resale prices in the area. Nothing is a sure thing, but follow up is key. Mailings like this have a low rate of return, expect that but press on. Put them in your sphere and make them remember you. Everyone does one small post card that looks like junk. Spend a few extra dollars on a hand written letter and envelope. Put a mint or something bigger in the envelope so it stands out. You can have a VA do a lot of the leg work and gather a list for you, they can even stuff envelopes and mail for you. Check out the rate of return on hand written envelopes compared to a generic post card, it is worth the extra $.50 per mailer. Good luck and stick with it if you start.

  • Real Estate Agent · North Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Brandon L. Robert Smith thanks. Correction there were only 87 units sold in the past twelve months. Super low turnover however there are currently 190 units on the market for sale. I live in a international luxury market and because of the strong dollar, a big run up in property values over the past four years and a ton of new construction we are going through a shift in the market where sellers still have not gotten realistic on the value of their condo. There is one dominant brokerage office that has about 15% market share. I do nice post cards 6x11 gloss. I also mail custom letters on high end stationary sealed with hot wax and my emblem every time a listing expires in my community offering a free certified appraisal which I do myself and present to them at the listing appointment. I also have Google Adwords going for search and retargeting with display ads. I was only doing the post card mailing every three months but I am now stepping it up to every 6 weeks. I mail a quarterly market report and now I will send a list of most recent sales in between the quarterly reports. Once I get some listings I will send just listed and just sold. Average selling price is $394 a square foot for the past twelve months but that number is expected to go down.
  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I think @Robert Smith hit it on the head. Getting in there and getting to know people is key. I feel owners will pick an agent that takes the time to get to know them personally over the one that just sends stuff in the mail, even if it's the "top producer" mailing them.

    I have no idea if you are getting in the neighborhoods @Joseph Castaneda so I'm not knocking you,just sharing my thoughts.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Knoxville TN · Member since 2011 · 112 posts · 81 votes
    10y

    Post card are a good idea but the times and technology are moving toward digital post cards. Some people you will never reach that way, but once the are in your system you can touch them as often as you like for nothing more then the time it takes to write a blog post. Low hanging fruit. If you are already using key words and such boost your social exposure and begin to market to friends of friends on facebook and direct your budget to facebook ads and such. With online marketing I would also try to figure out where your buyers are coming from and do key word marketing in their area. This is something I can bet hardly anyone else is doing. If they talk with you and they don't buy in your market you could always get a referral. With that many homes active and that few sold last year your absorption rate is something you need to be concerned with as well. Hard to market to a seller that you can sell fast when they see more signs popping up and less coming down. 

  • Real Estate Agent · North Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    I also do stay active in the gated community. I'm an active tennis player and I have embroidered all my tennis outfits with my logo. I also hang by the pool and go to the restaurants on the island. I have been here for ten years but only started my company a year ago and this community is a hard nut to crack. But I live here and will not stop until I do.Sometimes I think to stop mailing because I get so much more bang for my buck with online advertising. But I will continue to do both. I think mailing the post cards more frequently and in a more targeted way to owners of more than five years I will get a better result. I will give it a solid year and reevaluate then. Thanks!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.