Ever have someone else drive neighborhoods for you?

Ever have someone else drive neighborhoods for you?

Fresno, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone!  I'm just getting started in real estate investing this year.  I work a full-time job and have a family, so I'm very intentional with my time.  I have a cousin who could use some extra cash, and I was considering having him drive some neighborhoods for me, looking for vacancies and deals -- win-win, right?

Has anyone else done something like this?  How much should I pay him?  And HOW should I pay him -- by hour?  By lead?  By successful deal?  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thank you!

0Reply
8 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    9y

    This is a tough one, I haven't had a lot of success paying people to drive for leads.

    If you pay per hour, that won't reward profitable activity ( deal making).

    If you pay by lead or by successful deal, it will require skill & a lot of patience to keep someone long enough to cultivate profitable leads.  Sometimes these type of deals have a very long closing cycle.

    If you find the right person, it could be gold.  I know someone who split deals with a great deal finder & they have made 6 figures each for the last few years.

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    9y

    I'll second what @Ellis San Jose said. I've had drivers and have tried different things. If you pay hourly, a 2hr drive takes 4hrs. If you pay per house they find, they find the entire town. If you pay per deal, they'll never stick around that long. What I found most effective is finding someone who wants to learn the business. I paid $500 per deal and $2000 if they tracked down the owner and set up the appointment. I reimbursed their mileage at $0.55/mile which added up. I also mentored them along the way for free. I've be tried that w 4 people and they all fizzle out after 2-3 months. The deals usually drop a month or two after they quit. I tried to get them involved in other income producing activities like doing our. Lean out side but they don't want to work that hard. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.