Investing with Student Debt

Investing with Student Debt

Realtor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 15 votes

I am 23, just graduated from business school, I worked and played baseball so I only have about $8,000 in student debt. I am currently working a job making around 40K a year and am renting a place with some roommates. 

I am eager to get started but am hesitating because I kind of want to be debt free going into my first investment. I have no assets besides my car that is paid off. I have a 645 credit score so I guess I'm just wondering if I should wait or just go for it. 

I don't know if it makes sense to incur more debt or work on being debt free and try to establish a better credit score. 

I am looking at the East Lansing (MSU) and Lansing market because that is where I currently work and live.

Thanks for any help in advance.

3Reply
147 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2017 · 584 posts · 813 votes
8y

Go for it but find a good deal. Student loan debt is the easiest debt to manage. You have all kinds of options. Don't put off your future in real estate. If your return is 20% in real estate who cares about 6% in student loan interest. I'll do that all day and on Sunday.

See this reply in the discussion

57 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    $8000 Seems like such a small amount to conquer, I'd personally just get rid of it... but it also depends on your interest rate.  Personally I'd Live frugally, keep educating yourself and it could be gone very quickly! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    @Jack Ropp I just wanted to chime in because I'm also a recent graduate, 23, with 50k in student loans, and just closed on my 22nd unit. I have no interest in paying off my student loans early for the same mathematical reasons that many others have already mentioned. To each his own, but I think the biggest risk you can take is not taking any risks. Go get em!

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    Building wealth is about acquiring assets. If your money is your 'worker' then put it to work in an asset (in this case real estate). By paying off the debt, you are essentially killing your workers. Dead. The money cannot go out and go to work for you. I understand that your student loans are 'bad debt' and it may help you sleep better at night knowing that they are paid off, but it will not move you closer to financial freedom. Especially in the Lansing area. That additional $8,000, when properly applied towards real estate is darn near a 20% down payment on a SFR. I have 4 houses in the Lansing area. My average cash out of pocket is $14k to acquire a new rental and I earn over 30% returns on this money. My advice is build up some savings/reserves and then get into real estate as quick as you can. Time is your friend in this business. Let the magic of compounding go to work for you sooner than later. As others have said...worst case scenario is that real estate investing doesn't work for you and you are still left with the student loan debt. However, you are young and have time to recoup.

    We rarely regret our decisions to act. We regret most the actions not taken.

  • Longview, TX · Member since 2017 · 65 posts · 50 votes
    8y

    Paying the student loan debt wouldn't be a priority for me, for reasons already mentioned.

    To increase your credit score, you should have 3 credit cards. Two report a zero balance every month and the third reports less than 8.9% utilization. Alternate which one reports a balance. That doesn't mean you can't use them, but pay them off when due, so they report correctly to the credit bureaus. There is also a FICO boost when you have 5 cards, but only after you've had them for 2 years. Only let a balance report on 1/3 of them, and only less than 8.9% utilization (for optimal credit scoring). (Avoid store cards. Get real cards)

    You would also need an installment loan, but your student loan counts for that. When you pay that off, you need to carry at least one installment loan to have a "mix of credit" on your credit report. 

    If you have anything negative on your report, message me. I may be able to tell you how to address it.

    Time is your friend. You're young and can really set yourself up for success!

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Finishing a 4 year degree with only 8k owed is pretty good. If you start aggressively paying down that meager debt while simultaneously saving a good chunk of each paycheck and you'll be in business in no time. Set up direct deposit at work (if possible) and have a percentage deducted from each paycheck that goes straight into saving's towards your goals. You won't be getting rich with the 1% APY from a saving's account, so get that money invested in a starter flip or rental giving you 25-30% ROI.

  • Saint Peters, MO · Member since 2016 · 193 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    Good for you for starting off your life on a good note. I owe about $40K on my student loans and I don't make that much money, so I am going to start saving my investment capital rather than paying down that debt. The problem with saying "you should pay it all off" before investing is that if everyone did that, the VAST majority of the population would be disqualified from investing until they are well into there later years. 

    The idea is being young enough to enjoy financial independence, rather than half to work all your life for it. it sounds like you do not have to worry about that though.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 36 votes
    8y
    To not draw out an already drawn out response here’s mine opinion. Pay off the $8k loans (you’ll feel a million times better when its gone). During that time educate yourself (read, podcasts, mentors etc). Once the $8k debt is gone save, then when appropriate start investing. Best of luck bud!
  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    House hack it and use the extra income to help pay down your student debt.

  • Rental Property Investor · Andover, MA · Member since 2017 · 126 posts · 67 votes
    8y
    Hey Jack Ropp Based on some of the feedback I’ve seen on your post, I think it’s safe to say that you’re going to hear two answers to your question. 1) The first response would be to continue to live frugally, and pay off that debt before getting into real estate investing. Anything other than this strategy is too risky. 2) The second response would be that the student debt isn’t too much, so you should save up for a downpayment and jump in the game. You’re holding good debt, and $8k isn’t too much. You’re young and can afford to take more risk. In my opinion, there isn’t a right or wrong answer to this question. It depends on the level of risk you are willing to assume in order to build your path towards financial freedom. To give you an additional perspective...student loan debt is one of the main reasons why I got into real estate investing. Sure I graduated with an engineering degree and an MBA, but I also left with about $140k in student loan debt. I refuse to accept that it’s “normal” for people to continue paying off their student loans well into their 40’s and 50’s. One of the greatest aspects of real estate is the ability to use leverage to purchase wealth building assets. Based on what you’ve described, I’d say if the rate on your student debt is low, than that to me is “good debt” that you can continue to pay minimum payments on. Build up your nest egg, and get into the real estate game. Live frugal, be smart, and work hard. Good luck!!
  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    The only reason you should pay down student loan debt is interfears with your about to get real-estate debt. That is my situation now because the amortization schedules make your DTI ratio suck. If you are able to do deals (get loans on properties that make sense), then do it and keep the student loans. But, my situation, financially, it makes sense to pay off the sudent loans so i can get more real estate debt to make investments that garner more than 6 percent. Follow the numbers, and yes, like others have mentioned, keep a reserve so you won't panic, when **** DOES happen. Todd
  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    is there a way to correct bad typos?
  • Towboat Pilot · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    It seems that I remember a BP show in which the interviewee had used a student loan to invest in his first deal. Cheap funding is a plus and neither host raised an eyebrow over this revelation. So, why is carrying a small amount of student loan debt so different? Let me go on record as siding with the crowd who advise,"GO FOR IT!" Really! Don't look back, just do it! And in a year or two, you can revisit this discussion with a whole new crop of insight.
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 29 votes
    8y
    I’ve read a lot of good advice, so I’m not going to give you any ;). I wish I had started thinking about this at 23, my life would have been completely different, I think. I look forward to seeing your journey on BP!
  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 142 votes
    8y
    Hi Jack Ropp , great question and I’m sure you will get a variety of opinions. Some people don’t see student loans as bad debt but as debt towards an investment in your education. Sometimes it’s viewed the way a mortgage is. Some people see it like it’s credit card debt. I can tell you what I did. My husband and I had some cash set aside so we aggressively paid down the principle on my debt and paid it off quickly, I’m glad we did. We debated whether or not we should—the interest rate was incredibly low and apples to apples, we could have gotten a greater return if we had continued to make student loan payments and invested in a cash flowing rental. However, I think the principle (no pun) of paying off debt really helps to set a foundation and a mindset for your investing career. You will have to make sacrifices and take aggressive actions to minimize risk as well as your debt to income ratio. I think that since your credit score is lower you should take the opportunity to pay down the principle on your debt and let your credit score come up. That way, when you are ready to invest you will have a higher credit score, a lower interest rate on your mortgage and a lower DTI. Best of luck, it’s great that you’re getting started so young.
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y

    @Jack Ropp and @Josh Bauerle student debt is worse than credit card debt. Credit card debt is unsecured. Student debt is usually permanent debt, meaning it survives even bankruptcy. Carrying student debt is reckless if you have the income or means to pay it off. Incurring the debt for your education was a good investment, but now you need to pay it off.

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    @Jack Ropp and @Josh Bauerle student debt is worse than credit card debt. Credit card debt is unsecured. Student debt is usually permanent debt, meaning it survives even bankruptcy. Carrying student debt is reckless if you have the income or means to pay it off. Incurring the debt for your education was a good investment, but now you need to pay it off.

    this is one of the few comments here that I will say is as close to wrong as possible in a risk assessment thread, which is what this is.

    Student loan debt is very flexible and payments can be adjusted based on your income, and you can apply for hardship deferments. You cannot do that with CC debt. Student loan debt is also carried at an interest rate at a fraction fo CC debt.

  • Rental Property Investor · Willard, OH · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 56 votes
    8y

    @Joe Splitrock No, I actually don't need to pay it off and it most certainly isn't reckless.

    From a wealth building standpoint, depending on the interest rate you are paying, I would consider it more "reckless" to pay it off and not do something that generates FAR better return than the 3 percent interest I'm paying on the loan.  Now I totally get people wanting to pay it off for peace of mind, etc.  But simply by the numbers there are much better things to do with your money.

    I simply cannot possibly disagree more that student loan debt is worse than credit card debt simply because it is secured.  CC debt is likely 15+ interest rate.  I could not care less whether my student loan debt is secured or unsecured.  I have well over the assets to cover it and if everything came tumbling down I'm not too worried about them coming to make me pay my student loan payments.  I will have far bigger problems at that point.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Andrew B.:
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    @Jack Ropp and @Josh Bauerle student debt is worse than credit card debt. Credit card debt is unsecured. Student debt is usually permanent debt, meaning it survives even bankruptcy. Carrying student debt is reckless if you have the income or means to pay it off. Incurring the debt for your education was a good investment, but now you need to pay it off.

    this is one of the few comments here that I will say is as close to wrong as possible in a risk assessment thread, which is what this is.

    Student loan debt is very flexible and payments can be adjusted based on your income, and you can apply for hardship deferments. You cannot do that with CC debt. Student loan debt is also carried at an interest rate at a fraction fo CC debt.

    Credit card debt can be negotiated. People routinely pay off  just a fraction of what they owe or walk away all together. Yes you can defer student loans, but most stay there permanently until paid off. When deferring payments, you are still incurring interest. 

  • Realtor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    First off once again the wealth of knowledge, experience, and information that I have received on my first post is absolutely incredible. The amount of support on here continues to blow me away. 

    I would love to pick up some part-time weekend work with some local investors around the Lansing area, I'm willing to help any way I can. Please feel free to message me if you are in the area and need some help in any way.

    That being said I always try to find the most logical way to analyze a situation no matter what that situation is. I think the most logical thing for me to do is work as much as I possibly can and continue to save, pay off loans, and learn. 

    My goal in one year is not to have my student loans paid off but to have $25,000 in savings and a credit score above 680. I will continue to pay off loans but at a 3.25% interest rate, I believe that it makes more sense to save to invest before paying off the entirety of the loan. 

    The best course of action for me I think would be to invest in a multi-family, rent out and live in the other unit. 

    Thanks again for all the help, and advice! 

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    @Jack Ropp  I think that paying the debt can be a bad move because the interests are quite low. However here in BP, you will find different opinions, the only one who knows what you should do is you. I say this because, if you are a person who does not know how to handle debts and is always above the budget, very probably the first solution is to pay the student fee. But if you have things under control and spend less than you earn and save, there would be no need to quickly pay off the debt. On the other hand, real estate will give you some financial freedom and if you do not feel comfortable in having an $ 8k debt, how will you do when you have to manage debts of $ 100k or $1M with higher rates. You will not be playing Monopoly, this is real life. Welcome to real estate.

  • Property Manager · CLE + Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Jack Ropp I'm not a recent college grad, but definitely, share your position in regards to student loan debt (my debt was much higher). Based on my real-world experience, here's my advice to you:

    #1)  Do not let student loan debt deter you from investing. Instead, let it provide you with incentive and motivation.

    #2)  If cash is King, then credit is Queen. Relentlessly work on building the best credit score possible. Having great credit can/will make it much easier to acquire funding on your own.

    If you need help rebuilding your credit, reach out to me and I'll share the steps I took to rebuild and repair mine.

    #3)  Be prepared and willing to make financial and lifestyle sacrifices. Picking up a 2nd job, not going out with friends as much and avoid making frequent 'empty' purchases (ie: expensive shoes and clothes) are examples of sacrifices you can make in order to reach your financial goals quicker.

    #4)  Start working towards your goal(s) as soon as possible. Personally, I was a late bloomer in regards to financial responsibility and didn't take things seriously until my mid 20's. Therefore, I had to work extra hard and make extreme sacrifices in my late 20's to position myself for success now (early 30's).

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 106 posts · 39 votes
    8y
    Good question. I graduated at 23 with $54,000 in student loan debt. I paid of $40,000 my first year out of college and then started saving for a down payment so I could house hack. I saved about $32,000 the following year and just closed on my first duplex last week! Now I have have some friends planning to move in and live with me and plan to rent the other side to friends or someone else. I’ll finish paying off the other $14,000 I owe in student debt this year while living in my new duplex!
  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Jack Ropp I'm in a very similar position; my wife and I just became debt free from our student debt, and we'll be looking at investment properties in 2018. We worked ourselves to death to get out of student debt as quickly as possible....student debt is one of the only types to stick around through even bankruptcy, but that's besides the point: having control of your money and not letting it just disappear each month to loan payments, is incredibly liberating and exciting. Money is 80% behavior and 20% head knowledge.

  • Realtor · jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 303 posts · 52 votes
    8y

    Hi @Jack Ropp I actually bought my first investment home with my student loans! 

    I personally would say go for it as student loans have small percentage of interest rate and it is easy money you can obtain to make more money out of! 

    I saved up about $14,000 and bought my first house and flipped for $35,000. I am invested and flipped 3 properties now with cash and bought my 4th property last month which is currently renting and in 2018 I will sell flip as well. 

    My husband encouraged me to use my student loans to get into real estate investing and honestly I am glad I made that decision! :) 

  • Investor · Okemos, MI · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Do not pay the student loan debt.  Get on income based repayment and make the lowest payment you can.  On an income based plan, you pay a % of your income above the poverty line.  If you don't make poverty, you don't pay.  If you don't pay the loan, it is forgiven after 20-25 years.  

    That is the friendliest debt I've ever heard of.  My banker doesn't care if I only made poverty.   They want their monthly payment.   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.