• Greensboro, NC
Votes |
Autopen / Signing / Handwriting / Ballpoint Machine Experience

Nathan Faucett
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greensboro, NC
Posted Sep 6 2021, 10:31

A partner and I are entertain the idea of purchasing our own handwriting machine and creating our own "ballpoint" letters for marketing campaigns.

Do you have any experience doing this? Do you have any recommendations for a machine that has been successful for you? Any reason to stay away from something like this?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

User Stats

Votes
Jose Ochoa
  • Investor
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Mar 30 2022, 18:44

Hey Nathan, 

I think you can buy an AxiDraw machine, the pitfall is that you might have to switch postcard by postcard for the machine, I'm not sure. But I had the same idea.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Soper
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Lawrence, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Lawrence, MA
Replied Mar 31 2022, 13:25

How many do you anticipate sending per month/year? Any plans to grow your direct mail channel in the future? @Nathan Faucett @Jose Ochoa

These machines are great to self manage for a small to medium sized investor, but can quickly become more trouble than its worth at scale. Of the handful of investors I know that own them, at some point they will come over to a mail provider. It simply becomes too much of a time commitment at a certain point, and your time is better spent sourcing + closing deals, than managing a robot.

Our team has a few dozen autopen machines and we're loving the results from the letters, and the function of the machines from a production standpoint. We send them out with forever stamps and it really helps to separate your letter from all the other 'handwritten' ones.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Jose Ochoa
  • Investor
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Mar 31 2022, 13:46

I currently haven't done any of the handwritten letters, but I'm on the fence thinking about pacing an order, I'll shoot you an email Jake, maybe you'd have some pointers too.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Lafleur
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Holly Springs, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Holly Springs, NC
Replied Aug 17 2022, 19:48

Id suggest looking into Ballpoint Marketing (BallpointMarketing.com). They have all the machines and cool designs for you so you just send them your list and they take care of the rest. I just ordered my first batch from them this past month on a 7 Month Campaign for a targeted market so I will update on the progress, but I'm excited because its handwritten and a cool design rather than just a yellow post card.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 1 2023, 16:52
Quote from @Shane Lafleur:

Id suggest looking into Ballpoint Marketing (BallpointMarketing.com). They have all the machines and cool designs for you so you just send them your list and they take care of the rest. I just ordered my first batch from them this past month on a 7 Month Campaign for a targeted market so I will update on the progress, but I'm excited because its handwritten and a cool design rather than just a yellow post card.

Do you have any feedback after 9 months on your 7 month Campaign?  How effective was it?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 12 2023, 18:06

Hey Shane, I'm looking at doing the 7 month campaign from ballpoint as well. How has your experience been?

User Stats

Votes
Shane Lafleur
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Holly Springs, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Holly Springs, NC
Replied Jan 22 2024, 20:27
Quote from @Andrew Steinert:

Hey Shane, I'm looking at doing the 7 month campaign from ballpoint as well. How has your experience been?

Hey @Andrew Steinert, I took a little bit of a different approach as I targeted an area that I knew had a mix on new but mostly older homes in a growing downtown area and I just mailed over 500 properties in that area. I didn't target and specific list and my strategy was to just get appointments for either investments or for listings as an agent. I received 3 phone calls all at the end of the campaign, 1 FU, the other an investor looking to get into the game that became a client and the third turned into a listing appointment for cash offer which turned into listing on the market. So it paid for itself with that one listing. If you have a more strategic target, you'll probably land a larger assignment than what mine turned into.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 23 2024, 15:18
Quote from @Andrew Steinert:

Hey @Andrew Steinert, I took a little bit of a different approach as I targeted an area that I knew had a mix on new but mostly older homes in a growing downtown area and I just mailed over 500 properties in that area. I didn't target and specific list and my strategy was to just get appointments for either investments or for listings as an agent. I received 3 phone calls all at the end of the campaign, 1 FU, the other an investor looking to get into the game that became a client and the third turned into a listing appointment for cash offer which turned into listing on the market. So it paid for itself with that one listing. If you have a more strategic target, you'll probably land a larger assignment than what mine turned into.

Thanks for the sharing!