Here’s how I got rid of intense pot smell…

Here’s how I got rid of intense pot smell…

Rental Property Investor · Larkspur, CO · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 179 votes

I spent some time looking on the forums how to get rid of the pot smell in my rental. A lot of people claim it goes away pretty easily. That was not my experience, but then my tenant turned out to be a dealer (and constant user) of the “good stuff” that’s unbelievably potent and laced with extra THC if I’m not mistaken (the white waxy stuff). 

Anyway, ozone was not doing the trick, which is what most recommended. I ozoned the hell out of the common areas to no avail. Even wiped down all the walls and floors with a vinegar solution which helped, but still not enough. And no, there was no carpet, but LVP. Then I saw somebody recommend just leaving out bowls of vinegar to evaporate, and I realized I could do one better. I immediately bought a humidifier on Amzn for next day delivery and used it on high with a 1- 3 part vinegar-water ratio. Ran this all night on high in the common areas to where you’d walk in in the morning to a haze of vinegar cloud and start coughing right away. THAT did the trick. I did this twice for the worst areas and still alternated the ozone machine. Did each room for 3-4 hours, putting the humidifier under the ceiling fan turned on high, sucking up the mist and moving it over all surfaces. Be sure to close the HVAC vents or turn the HVAC off when doing this to get maximum effect. 
You could even put a humidifier in front of every HVAC intake and run the system on low fan with the filter taken out if needed. I did let my system run the second night I ran the humidifier to help clean it as well. 

I hope that helps the next LL who runs into the same issue! This nasty, high intensity MMJ is getting all too common. Though I understand some take it for medical purposes, I would strongly encourage you do independent research on the health ramifications of this stuff, especially as it’s gotten ridiculously potent. The studies coming out are scary and point to a major health crisis down the road in my opinion. 

Best wishes all, and happy landlording! 

2Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
4y

Ozone will oxidize any organic compounds, but it get's consumed in the process. So you will have to generate enough O3 molecules to bind with whatever smells. 

O3 is highly reactive and binds with one of the O's to anything organic, basically burning up (oxidizing) anything organic and going from O3 to O2. I have a residential size ozone generator and it can take a few days to do its job in a 1200 sf space. Commercial generators will put out enough O3 to do the same in a few hours. Hire a service, we have one here in Milwaukee for $350 per job.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Ozone will oxidize any organic compounds, but it get's consumed in the process. So you will have to generate enough O3 molecules to bind with whatever smells. 

    O3 is highly reactive and binds with one of the O's to anything organic, basically burning up (oxidizing) anything organic and going from O3 to O2. I have a residential size ozone generator and it can take a few days to do its job in a 1200 sf space. Commercial generators will put out enough O3 to do the same in a few hours. Hire a service, we have one here in Milwaukee for $350 per job.

  • Rental Property Investor · Larkspur, CO · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 179 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    Ozone will oxidize any organic compounds, but it get's consumed in the process. So you will have to generate enough O3 molecules to bind with whatever smells. 

    O3 is highly reactive and binds with one of the O's to anything organic, basically burning up (oxidizing) anything organic and going from O3 to O2. I have a residential size ozone generator and it can take a few days to do its job in a 1200 sf space. Commercial generators will put out enough O3 to do the same in a few hours. Hire a service, we have one here in Milwaukee for $350 per job.


     Great info Marcus; Knowing how things work always helps! I’ll keep that in mind!

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    4y

    Wow, OK good to know.

    Febreze and good luck. Maybe a burned pan full of garlic will do the trick.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 385 posts · 197 votes
    4y

    @David S. This is amazing to know, thank you for sharing this!

  • Rental Property Investor · St Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    That is great info! I know that this was applied to LVP but will vinegar affect carpet? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Ocean Springs, MS · Member since 2022 · 349 posts · 301 votes
    4y

    I would love to see your studies that speak to the impending "major health crisis" concerning cannabis. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I'm sure I will need to utilize this advice someday as I have a few inherited weed smokers so thank you. 

    Did you use white vinegar or the cleaning vinegar? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.