Water heater leakage damaged next door property.

Water heater leakage damaged next door property.

Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 4 votes

Hello,

A water heater leakage went unnoticed for a few days and caused partial flooding in my rental unit and the neighbor's unit. Based on the neighbor, he had to pry up his carpet and had damage to the underlayer and his carpet. He has been putting towels to soak up water and tells me the carpet may have to be replaced. Based on what my plumbing contractor saw while replacing the water heater, he could see evidence of water leakage from our unit to the neighboring unit. Does landlord insurance policy typically cover damage to neighboring units? I am hearing that I am not liable for the damages to the neighbor's unit since it was not an act of negligence (I fixed it as soon as I could after hearing about the issue). The neighbor would have to submit a claim to their insurance company, and I would mine. 

Does anybody have experience with this kind of situation?

I appreciate your time and response!

Thank you

Jun

0Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cameron MoorePro Member
    Insurance Agent · DFW, TX · Member since 2021 · 348 posts · 245 votes
    3y

    Typically, landlord insurance policies cover damage to the rental unit and liability for damage caused to others, but the coverage for damages to neighboring units may vary depending on the policy. It is recommended to review the insurance policy and consult with an your insurance agent to determine the extent of coverage. The neighbor should submit a claim to their insurance company, as they may be covered for the damages to their unit. You should also submit a claim to your insurance company for the damages in your rental unit and for liability for damage to the neighbor's unit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.