• Seattle
Votes |
Section 8 property owner - changed PM, no payments from CHA for 4 months

Brian Berry
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle
Posted Feb 17 2023, 09:01

I am looking for suggestions on next steps. 

I have SFH in Chicago that is rented to a Section 8 tenant. Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) has always been very reliable in making payments on the first of the month. In October I switched property management companies. Then in November the PM I signed up with switched to another company, and I opted to move with them since they are the person that I interviewed and selected to work with. In November I didn't receive a rental payment, so I called the PM and was told that because of the change of management companies it takes a month or two for CHA to get the new payment account set up. I spoke with CHA and they corroborated that. CHA did state that when they get the accounting straightened out it will be for all the time I was not paid (which I would expect). In December there was still no payment. In January, again, no payment. I talked with both the PM and CHA in January and they both stated that the account still hasn't been transferred and to wait some more. And now here we are in the middle of February and I still have not received any payments.

On Tuesday I called CHA, and this time got a very rude customer service agent who told me to email for support. So I sent them an email, to which I received an automated reply saying they would respond within two business days. So far I have not heard anything. 

At this point I am missing over $7k in rental payments and I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Loading replies...