Purchased a 2500 sq duplex close to Dayton, Ohio. It has a shingle roof. About 3 layers. Roof seems to be in its last days and causing some moisture intrusion. I got quoted by one roofer for $6000 to tear off the shingles and replace. This seems too good to be true. This roofer works for other real estate investors in the area. I got another quote from a roofing company in the area for $12,800. I’d like to get the price down to $9000.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to lower the price and still have the roof replaced in an efficient way? I’m a new investor. Thanks.
Checklist for a typical re-roof, a roofers considerations.
Access: for roofing tear-off demolition into a dumpster and distance from building, if debris will have to be packed put.
Roof loading for new roof materials using a conveyor or by hand via ladder.
Protection required from falling debris to ground level plantings, customer property and the building structure, itself.
Condition of the roof deck including nailing, rot damage repair, or re-sheathing option if not code compliant.
Material Package: Underlayment, fasteners, perimeter edge metal flashing, Composition Shingles, attic vents, penetration flashing at skylights, brick and/or metal (B) vent chimney, power mast base and plumbing vent boots, etc.
Pricing: Materials vary a great deal depending on type, quality and quantity specified.
Labor: Time to tear-off old roofing and it's disposal. Roof loading, by hand or supplier charge to load. Installation of new roofing materials, subject to the variables of the roof design, especially the roof pitch, valleys, hips, venting, skylights and dormers.
Contractor mark-up percentage relates to the labor variable usually.
For example here's what a basic and simple 2500 sf (25 Sq) re-roof would cost in our north west market: Labor including burden @ $135.00 + Material package $175 + Mark-up on labor 67% $90.00 Total $400.00 sq
Job Bid Amount $10,000 plus tax.
$6K does sound pretty cheap (that's only $240/square) Typically the price is about $350/square and a little extra for multiple layers of tear off and additional again if there is any decking that needs replaced. $12K might be a little high but not too much especially if there's any decking that needs replaced. I had one done last summer about similar size and it cost me $10,800 bc there was a little bit of decking that needed replaced. There's not much you can do other than shop around or do the tear off yourself.
With 3 layers, you should expect to pay more. $6000 is way cheap and I would not use that Contr. Is the roof footprint 2500 SF or is that the interior?
It's market variable, but I'd be OK with the $12.8K bid. I wouldn't touch the other one.
Michael, It really depends on your area and the costs THERE. Example: As a price quoted above... $240/sq is cheaper, but $350/sq is expensive! (for the Dallas, TX areas) Multiple layers simple means more $ to the crew for tearing it off and more $ toward dump fee's (a lot more weight). That is, IF there are multiple layers.
Common sense solution, get multiple (3) quotes from established Roofers locally, but not any of the "big boys" that you may see on TV or hear on the radio even... those charge enough to warrant the high cost of public advertising! lol Look for: Longevity; warranty; materials used/offered...
PM if you have any specific questions. (w/ J's Roofing - Richardson, TX)
Everyone is assuming this is a single story 2400sf duplex…is this true? As soon as you say no, it’s a two story than you’ve just doubled the quote per roofing sf. So let people know the foundation sf or roofing sf if you know it.
Last year I paid $7500 to re-roof a 2400sf duplex in MN, but it’s a 2 story, so it was only 1200sf of roofing. So either you’re being quoted 20% less and 40% more than me. Or, if this is a single story you’re being quoted 60% less and 20% less.
I don’t understand why you’d want to give the $12,800 roofer $9,000 when you have a quote for $6,000? Are you afraid the $6,000 roofer might suddenly say sorry it’s harder than it looks so it’s going to be $7500? And you want to pay even more to someone else? Wasn’t the $12,800 roofer trying to screw you hard if he suddenly drops 20%? If he does drop his price I’d be insulted, not happy.
Michael, It really depends on your area and the costs THERE. Example: As a price quoted above... $240/sq is cheaper, but $350/sq is expensive! (for the Dallas, TX areas) Multiple layers simple means more $ to the crew for tearing it off and more $ toward dump fee's (a lot more weight). That is, IF there are multiple layers.
Common sense solution, get multiple (3) quotes from established Roofers locally, but not any of the "big boys" that you may see on TV or hear on the radio even... those charge enough to warrant the high cost of public advertising! lol Look for: Longevity; warranty; materials used/offered...
PM if you have any specific questions. (w/ J's Roofing - Richardson, TX)
Checklist for a typical re-roof, a roofers considerations.
Access: for roofing tear-off demolition into a dumpster and distance from building, if debris will have to be packed put.
Roof loading for new roof materials using a conveyor or by hand via ladder.
Protection required from falling debris to ground level plantings, customer property and the building structure, itself.
Condition of the roof deck including nailing, rot damage repair, or re-sheathing option if not code compliant.
Material Package: Underlayment, fasteners, perimeter edge metal flashing, Composition Shingles, attic vents, penetration flashing at skylights, brick and/or metal (B) vent chimney, power mast base and plumbing vent boots, etc.
Pricing: Materials vary a great deal depending on type, quality and quantity specified.
Labor: Time to tear-off old roofing and it's disposal. Roof loading, by hand or supplier charge to load. Installation of new roofing materials, subject to the variables of the roof design, especially the roof pitch, valleys, hips, venting, skylights and dormers.
Contractor mark-up percentage relates to the labor variable usually.
For example here's what a basic and simple 2500 sf (25 Sq) re-roof would cost in our north west market: Labor including burden @ $135.00 + Material package $175 + Mark-up on labor 67% $90.00 Total $400.00 sq
Job Bid Amount $10,000 plus tax.
@Michael A. RE: warranty....understand that it only includes the Company dropping of X number of bundles of shingles. That's usually all. Clarify with the Roofing Contractor about his warranty to replace these replacement shingles.
3 layers is considered too much weight for a roof from everyone I have ever talked to. That's a lot of weight to take off and dispose of at the dump. Maybe you could tell your higher bid that you have a $6k bid and if he would come down on his price you would give him the business. He may also know your other bidder and be able to tell you why he is so cheap and what corners he is going to cut in the process. What if your low bid is the one putting 3 layers of shingles on peoples roofs? You might get what you pay for here, and it's a 20-30 year purchase, average it out and it's not that much more per year.
THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS. Roofers have to estimate what they will find under you shingles. If the plywood under is rotten it must be replaced at extra cost. Same with roof rafters and eve rafters.
pay attention to the details of the estimates. They are must likely closer than you think.
Zane, not to burst your bubble or anything but, you have a lot of mistakes in your statement(s)...
-We've seen houses with 5 layers before. Is 3 layers too much "weight?" No, but it is excessive to have in modern times. On a stick hut, yes of course it would be. :)
-Ask a very high Contractor to come down a LOT on their quote... and, you would trust that very high bidder in the first place!? And then, trust them to not cut corners from what "they" think the pricing should be on a job? Ummmm..... NO!
-Know the other bidder? Maybe, in a town of a few hundred/thousand people... But, if that area is anything like the Dallas metro area... not even many of us "long timers" know all the signs or names of the "roofers" these days! (it's sad.. ->) 10+ years ago, we would name off most/many of the co's or signs you would see around. Now, awwww heck no! Even the suppliers say the same. 15+ years ago, there were a few hundred roofing co's around here... now, there are literally thousands! (no joke!)
-Shingle roofs do not usually last 20-30 years. Sometimes 20, but those are not common.
As stated, look for LONGEVITY in most people/companies. If there is THAT much disparity in the pricing, and other Quotes also come in around the $10K+ area, then no I wouldn't trust the $6K one, not at all. But, that $6K one may actually be the going rate there... and, the Owner may also working on the crew that is doing the work, but they may be using "2nd's or blemished" shingles, but may not have true ROOFING insurance, etc etc etc... Many reasons, may be valid for pricing, or not.
*If you'd like more education on Contractors or the building industry in general, feel free to pm us any time... or try to debate, no problem! But I'm sure you do just fine at Realty. :D
I know... here comes the hate mail! lol Hey, people should know the subject matter they try to discuss. Or LEARN things before making public suggestions... If I'm wrong or being too harsh... Bless Your Heart! :D
I know... here comes the hate mail! lol Hey, people should know the subject matter they try to discuss. Or LEARN things before making public suggestions... If I'm wrong or being too harsh... Bless Your Heart! :D
3 layers of shingles is a lot. In Michigan we are allowed 2 layers of shingles I believe. I would probably have those three layers removed. Dayton gets some snow. That’s a lot of weight to have up there. I could be wrong. That is labor intensive to get that many layers removed and disposed of. I think 6000 sounds a bit low and would be careful. In 2008 when no one was working I had a 1200sq ranch with attached garage redecked on house and spot fixed on garage with new chimney spout installed. That was 6500$. Good luck just be careful about going to low on price
@Michael Anderson If I get two prices to do any work and there is that much disparity between the two, you need another price.
If it’s closer to 6k, then I’d feel more comfortable with the cheaper guy.
If the 3rd price comes in at 11-13k, the 6k guy is likely not going to leave you satisfied.
I generally try to only use contractors that I can get a referral from someone I know. Ask other investors in your area who they are using and what they’re paying for similar work.
@Michael Anderson If I get two prices to do any work and there is that much disparity between the two, you need another price.
If it’s closer to 6k, then I’d feel more comfortable with the cheaper guy.
If the 3rd price comes in at 11-13k, the 6k guy is likely not going to leave you satisfied.
I generally try to only use contractors that I can get a referral from someone I know. Ask other investors in your area who they are using and what they’re paying for similar work.
@Michael Anderson If I get two prices to do any work and there is that much disparity between the two, you need another price.
If it’s closer to 6k, then I’d feel more comfortable with the cheaper guy.
If the 3rd price comes in at 11-13k, the 6k guy is likely not going to leave you satisfied.
I generally try to only use contractors that I can get a referral from someone I know. Ask other investors in your area who they are using and what they’re paying for similar work.
Finding a suitable contractor, if you need a good quality result, is to locate two or three Design Build remodeling company and request a referral to the sub-trade that they use, such as a Roofer. Usually they only work with proven sub-trade performers who are experienced, good with creative cost saving solutions and have the knowledge and skills applicable across a wide spectrum of their trade. Or if not a roofer, then any other sub-trade. Siding, Painting, Mason, etc.