I am a MTR property manager that operates in the area. I’ll send you a PM.
Is the home already outfitted with everything you'd need to operate as a STR? Furnishings, kitchen supplies, etc. etc.?
If not, that's a big task and most traditional PM's aren't going to do it. Even beyond that, LTR PM's don't have systems for managing STR's.
I would get in some local Facebook groups and see about finding a co-host that can help you with it all. That's probably the best option. I'd also expect to pay 20% gross rents for it.
We could possibly help you or connect you with someone in the area!
Thanks Travis and Sarah for your replies! My PM just filled both units with traditional long-term tenants. I'll have to try out the MTR strategy on the next property, or in 12 months when their leases are up. This gives me more time to figure out how I could make this work from out of state. Thanks for your feedback!
I am a MTR property manager that operates in the area. I’ll send you a PM.
Why do MTM in Cleveland? Just take the 2kish a month and be happy. Less headache. STR, you will have to spend about 10k on furniture, and everything else, why bother?
Why do MTM in Cleveland? Just take the 2kish a month and be happy. Less headache. STR, you will have to spend about 10k on furniture, and everything else, why bother?
Yes, kids! Always take the path of least resistance. Never put in extra effort or money in order to get a better outcome. Complacency is key. Just be happy where you are and don't try to do better. Less headache. Why bother?
Why do MTM in Cleveland? Just take the 2kish a month and be happy. Less headache. STR, you will have to spend about 10k on furniture, and everything else, why bother?
Yes, kids! Always take the path of least resistance. Never put in extra effort or money in order to get a better outcome. Complacency is key. Just be happy where you are and don't try to do better. Less headache. Why bother?
At the end of the day you are not going to get enough income to justify all the headache and extra funds you must layout. 10kish, furniture 24-hour security system, yard maintenance etc. Do you really think you are going to get a responsible co to do the move out and in in a timely fashion for the new tenant, umm not likely in Cleveland. So then you will have new people show up to a house that is not ready, so now what? I am not speculating. I have done 100s and 100s and 100s in the Cleveland market. Hmm Complacency, I have about 90 doors out there,10 years of experience and have seen it all.
Good luck
PS remember this post in a year from now :)
Why do MTM in Cleveland? Just take the 2kish a month and be happy. Less headache. STR, you will have to spend about 10k on furniture, and everything else, why bother?
Yes, kids! Always take the path of least resistance. Never put in extra effort or money in order to get a better outcome. Complacency is key. Just be happy where you are and don't try to do better. Less headache. Why bother?
At the end of the day you are not going to get enough income to justify all the headache and extra funds you must layout. 10kish, furniture 24-hour security system, yard maintenance etc. Do you really think you are going to get a responsible co to do the move out and in in a timely fashion for the new tenant, umm not likely in Cleveland. So then you will have new people show up to a house that is not ready, so now what? I am not speculating. I have done 100s and 100s and 100s in the Cleveland market. Hmm Complacency, I have about 90 doors out there,10 years of experience and have seen it all.
Good luck
PS remember this post in a year from now :)
Why do MTM in Cleveland? Just take the 2kish a month and be happy. Less headache. STR, you will have to spend about 10k on furniture, and everything else, why bother?
Yes, kids! Always take the path of least resistance. Never put in extra effort or money in order to get a better outcome. Complacency is key. Just be happy where you are and don't try to do better. Less headache. Why bother?
At the end of the day you are not going to get enough income to justify all the headache and extra funds you must layout. 10kish, furniture 24-hour security system, yard maintenance etc. Do you really think you are going to get a responsible co to do the move out and in in a timely fashion for the new tenant, umm not likely in Cleveland. So then you will have new people show up to a house that is not ready, so now what? I am not speculating. I have done 100s and 100s and 100s in the Cleveland market. Hmm Complacency, I have about 90 doors out there,10 years of experience and have seen it all.
Good luck
PS remember this post in a year from now :)
I know dozens and dozens of investors with more than 2k properties, none do STR. Mayber I/we are all wrong and it will be rewarding. I also am aware of the work force in Cleveland having done 1ks and 1ks of renos/ repairs, more than a dozen office staff, 30 contractors and 6 full time handymen, it is NOT easy finding reliable workers. That is my hesitancy for this. What if you have a tenant moves out on a Sunday and new one ready to move in Monday or Tues. Well I am not certain, the " workers" will be reliable enough. I rent to the hospital staff and Case Western student's long term. (We do not have to spend 10kish on furnishings,) this is why we are buying everything in parts of East Cleveland
All the best
You'll do better with it as a regular rental.
I am a MTR property manager that operates in the area. I’ll send you a PM.
hi I would like to get your information
Don't use Shoreway Realty. Where do I start with the headache they are?
Cleveland passed stricter rental registration requirements over the last year, and Shoreway did not order the needed lead testing or HVAC testing to meet the required deadline, and when I asked if they had ordered such since the city sent me a letter, they have no timeline to! They filed incorrect and invalid registrations with the city. Huge red flag to not have your management company up to date on the local regulations, that leaves me as the owner in a very bad position. Then their professional advise was to not do the required lead testing and to register myself as the in-area contact even though I live 2,000mi away, which clearly goes against the rules of the law. Now they also won't let the property transfer to the new manager for 30-days even though I found a management company willing and able to correct the issues immediately, and offered to let Shoreway keep the following month management commission for the 1 week that would be under their management anyway.
Unit turnovers have been way too slow, usually taking 3 months just to get rent-ready (all cosmetic, no mechanical replacements). One they took 6 months to do! On the last one the contractor said they would be finished by December, deadline passed so I asked for progress photos from the management company since the contractor from their vendor list kept delaying in sending them. When I responded to the photos with some questions I got a lecture from the owner, Kathleen Bassett, how the person who had taken them was her highly paid bookkeeper who was doing a favor. They take 10% for all managed construction, so this is not a favor to ask for progress inspection on a project that was behind schedule several weeks, and was a vendor from their list. It is their job! Also, I didn't ask the bookkeeper to be sent out, send someone with construction knowledge. Overall just find she is very arrogant, don't let the fake schmooze fool you.
I also go out once a year to check properties. Their landscaping personnel constantly let the ivy grow up the side of the house, which costs money to pull and damages siding, versus being at all preventative in pulling the ivy when it is small which is what every gardener I hire in the area I live does. I raised this issue several times and it never changes. They don't follow basic instructions. I asked for concrete expansion joints to be sealed, very specific, and then they emailed me back and asked it the cracks should be sealed AS WELL! I said yes. When I got the repair photos they only did the cracks, not the expansion joints, and then wanted to charge me more to quote the expansion joints. This type of so-called "miscommunication" has happened on several occasions with other repairs even though instructions are in-writing.
I regret not firing Kathleen Bassett and her team at Shoreway Realty sooner, but finally done! Save yourself the headache!
Hi all! I wanted to give an update on this post. Despite some of the recommendations in this thread I took the chance to convert my two duplexes to MTRs. It's been a long journey but I just finished furnishing the 4th unit last week and all units are booked. I started around September of last year and furnished them one at a time. I'm now self managing both properties. Gross rents are 70% above LTR, although there are additional expenses for utilities and furnishings. I'm also no longer paying 10% plus a month's rent for new tenant placement to a property manager.
It's A LOT of work up front, especially because I'm doing this from out of state, but once the guests are in it's pretty smooth. I've had one turnover which wasn't too bad. And the vacancy between guests was only 4 days. I don't expect that level of vacancy to always be the case but I've been pleasantly surprised at how quickly I've gotten each unit filled. All of my guests have been traveling medical professionals.
If anyone is also doing MTRs in the area and would like to connect please reach out. I'm still getting leads from Furnished Finder with no available units for May and most of June. If you're looking to get your place booked I might be able to help you.