How to evict?

How to evict?

Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes

This past March I bought my first rental property.

I'm not sure how to go about evicting tenants. I thought Bigger Pockets used to have eviction forms available, have they discontinued that? 

I could use some help as to how it is done. 

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 19 votes
3y
Quote from @Vernon Martin:

This past March I bought my first rental property.

I'm not sure how to go about evicting tenants. I thought Bigger Pockets used to have eviction forms available, have they discontinued that? 

I could use some help as to how it is done. 


I would just do a search for the county website each state is a little different   Here’s what I found - https://www.linncountyiowa.gov...

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 19 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Vernon Martin:

    This past March I bought my first rental property.

    I'm not sure how to go about evicting tenants. I thought Bigger Pockets used to have eviction forms available, have they discontinued that? 

    I could use some help as to how it is done. 


    I would just do a search for the county website each state is a little different   Here’s what I found - https://www.linncountyiowa.gov...

  • Investor · CO · Member since 2016 · 757 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Well, my standard answer is hire an attorney. My state is tenant friendly and far too many things can derail or delay the process.

    Now, if you are feeling bold and brave. Get to know your local state&country landlord-tenant laws.

    Most state have associations which provides great step by step and attorney vetted forms. In WA state Rental Housing Association of WA (RHAWA) has been my go to for years.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Vernon Martin:

    Do yourself a favor: buy "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Written by attorney investors, it's full of practical advice pertaining to management of investment property, has sample forms that can be edited, and - most importantly - they tell you what your primary state laws are and where you can read them. It's updated every year and is the best $40 you'll spend as a Landlord. 


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Jared HottleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA · Member since 2020 · 902 posts · 549 votes
    3y

    Each state is different. I would recommend looking into process servers in your area or referrals from other investors on a good real estate attorney. For me this is something to pay for because so many technicalities that get them thrown out and all the money you could of saved is gone in needing to wait.

  • Tammy HelblePro Member
    Member since 2022 · 47 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    I reside in CA but some of my rentals are in Texas. With that expressed I'm going through my first eviction myself. I had to file with the county in which my duplex resides in. I don't know if all counties have this but I was able to opt for not having an attorney and the system basically walked me through my filing down to making the payment. I just had my phone appointment this past Monday and of course won. Now that I won the case I'm working on filing my small claims against the tenant. I'd just seen Nathan Gesner who responded above me recommend in another post to take my judgment to a collections company. I still may not get my money back however it's worth a try. 

  • Matt McCurdyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2019 · 143 posts · 56 votes
    3y

    Congrats Vernon!  I know I'm late to the party on this question, but if you are still wrestling with an eviction, I have a good RE attorney in Cedar Rapids that can help.  I've used him for several situations I've found myself in and he's done a good job.

  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 407 votes
    3y

    I would look into best practices for tenant screening too.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.