What are the steps of evicting a tenant.

What are the steps of evicting a tenant.

New to Real Estate · Seattle WA · Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 7 votes

Background : 

I have a tenant who has been renting out one of my properties in Seattle for 6 years now, he was late on rent during the pandemic and the late rent still carries now. (roughly about $10000).  Although he has been paying an extra $300 every month but it is not consistent. I am also paying for this property's utility fees.  The lease agreement expired a long time ago and I didn't renew one for a very long time.  What would be the best thing to do here? should I hire an attorney to evict him? if so, would this process be difficult?

I am open to any advice, Thank you!

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Seattle, WA · Member since 2018 · 90 posts · 47 votes
2y

@Keng Fong , I live in and invest in Seattle. My question to you is if they are paying now, why bother evicting them? Placing a new tenant will not get you the bad debt back. 

I would encourage you to get the existing tenant on a new lease that clearly spells out either the base rent + repayment plan, or better yet, the new base rent that should get you to market-based rent. It sounds like this is a single unit - in the new lease require the tenant to transfer utilities into their name and have them pay for it. 

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2023 · 459 posts · 474 votes
    2y

    The process is specific to the municipality you are in, from what I have read Seattle is not landlord friendly so if it were me I would hire an attorney who was experienced in the process.

    In Virginia the process is simple enough to do it yourself - and I have a few times.

  • Developer · Seattle, WA · Member since 2018 · 90 posts · 47 votes
    2y

    @Keng Fong , I live in and invest in Seattle. My question to you is if they are paying now, why bother evicting them? Placing a new tenant will not get you the bad debt back. 

    I would encourage you to get the existing tenant on a new lease that clearly spells out either the base rent + repayment plan, or better yet, the new base rent that should get you to market-based rent. It sounds like this is a single unit - in the new lease require the tenant to transfer utilities into their name and have them pay for it. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2022 · 551 posts · 379 votes
    2y

    So you don't have a current lease agreement in place..?

    Seattle is tough enough to be a landlord in, not having an up to date lease agreement is essentially just shooting yourself in the foot.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.